Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by jchock1
Sorry if someone has already pointed this out, but I just noticed when logging into my BB account that there is now an option to transfer money, with no fee, directly into your checking account from your BB account. You can instantly verify your bank account to make use of this feature. For some reason my bank account didn't instantly verify, so they are making 2 small deposits and then I need to then enter that information to verify my account.

It appears as though you can only link one checking account, and I couldn't find any limits on the total dollars you can transfer out of BB and into your account.

Anyway, it seems that might be the best way to facilitate paying bills, etc., and thus avoid having to set up new payees through BB.
1) Wasn't that feature always there?

2) I think it's the worst way to pay bills, if the concept of paying bills includes having your BB account remain open.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:15 am

Sorry if someone has already pointed this out, but I just noticed when logging into my BB account that there is now an option to transfer money, with no fee, directly into your checking account from your BB account. You can instantly verify your bank account to make use of this feature. For some reason my bank account didn't instantly verify, so they are making 2 small deposits and then I need to then enter that information to verify my account.

It appears as though you can only link one checking account, and I couldn't find any limits on the total dollars you can transfer out of BB and into your account.

Anyway, it seems that might be the best way to facilitate paying bills, etc., and thus avoid having to set up new payees through BB.
Update: I was able to have my checking account instantly verified, and just transferred $2k into it from BB. It indicated it would take 2-3 days for the funds to appear in my checking account, but the funds were immediately deducted from my bb account. There was an option to "Transfer More Money", so it looks like you can probably transfer the entire balance of the bb account into your checking account, subject to the $10k total balance allowed.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Got 5 buckets of icecream today using my CC.
hey how 'bout that
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I started to enter my Amex Platinum card details to make a payment from BB, but started to chuckle. I suspect few - outside of our points circles - carry both Amex's platinum card and Amex's Bluebird card.
I also had the same funny feeling when I paid my Plat with a BB. Payment went through in 2 days. I'll probably refrain from making all of my payments this way as I don't want an AMEX FR - not that this would happen by using one of their top of the heap products along side the bottom of the heap.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by User Name
1) Wasn't that feature always there?

2) I think it's the worst way to pay bills, if the concept of paying bills includes having your BB account remain open.
That feature may have always been there, I just noticed it today. I recall people sending themselves checks, or having to re-set up all of their billpays to make the system work, which was a pain. I don't think you can set up advance billpays through Bluebird, it's difficult to know when/if checks sent through Blue Bird have cleared, etc.

You can also make deposits by taking a picture of the check to be deposited, which I believe is a feature that was not offered initially.

It seems they continue to enhance the product.

I'm not sure how taking advantage of a feature to transfer money into my checking account would reduce the chance of my bb account remaining open, but just thought I would share my discovery with others, take it or leave it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I also had the same funny feeling when I paid my Plat with a BB. Payment went through in 2 days. I'll probably refrain from making all of my payments this way as I don't want an AMEX FR - not that this would happen by using one of their top of the heap products along side the bottom of the heap.
AMEX would have a problem with using an AMEX checking account to pay off an AMEX credit card???
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrredskin
AMEX would have a problem with using an AMEX checking account to pay off an AMEX credit card???
No, they SHOULDN'T. However, 'unusual' transactions seem to be a trigger for a FR. I've not had one. From what others have posted, I don't want one either!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
No, they SHOULDN'T. However, 'unusual' transactions seem to be a trigger for a FR. I've not had one. From what others have posted, I don't want one either!
No need to take a chance when you don't have to.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mrredskin
hey how 'bout that
Hint: I got them in SEA.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Too bad I can't use this as I have a USD account with a Canadian bank.
I also have USD credit cards issued by American banks that I apply with by using my information and my Canadian SIN.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I started to enter my Amex Platinum card details to make a payment from BB, but started to chuckle. I suspect few - outside of our points circles - carry both Amex's platinum card and Amex's Bluebird card.

Not that I could have seen it making any sort of difference, I elected to make a payment to my Chase card instead.

I have had bill pays and eft transfers to my bank appear within the promised timeframe and without issue. Eft transfers to my bank from bb took a little longer than ingdirect takes, but only by a day or so...and was still within the promised timeframe.
I was laughing to myself about the same thing. I unloaded $8k from bb towards my platinum card.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>joesmoe: I unloaded $8k from bb towards my platinum card.

Why would you do $8k spend on Platinum card? On a second thought, why would you put any spending on that card? Unless u recently got it to meet min spend of course.

Weird CeeVeeS encounter yesterday. Bought vanilla and water. Manager was called & said must ring separately. Ok I said. Will not be back at that store, I just don't like to see $503.95 charges:-)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I just don't like to see $503.95 charges:-)
Thats a hard you to get around. Do you want arrows and pictures?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by QL_714
Thats a hard you to get around. Do you want arrows and pictures?
I know of a workaround496.05. But that requires two trips Time is extremely limited these days
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I know of a workaround496.05. But that requires two trips Time is extremely limited these days
I actually got a coupon for $4.95 off of my next GreenDot purchase at my favorite grocery store. And I am just starting to get into extreme couponing lol. Now I can start stockpiling cheerios, toilet roll and washing detergent along with debit card reloads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.