Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
The fam and I all applied for cards, they all took less than 7 days to arrive, including a weekend.

This thread is increidbly off topic. This is not suppose to be a chat, but an informational discussion where people share information they have gathered in a means that is useable to others (don't post u can get vr at cvs, but tell us at least what state u live in, and lets stop talking about how to manage credit, that definately doesn't blong here).

I hate having to read 30 pages of bs every couple days to keep up with bluebird. Maybe i'll just tune into one of these much simplier blogs, where the conversation is more moderated and on topic.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by joesmoe

This thread is increidbly off topic. This is not suppose to be a chat, but an informational discussion where people share information they have gathered in a means that is useable to others (don't post u can get vr at cvs, but tell us at least what state u live in, and lets stop talking about how to manage credit, that definately doesn't belong here).

I hate having to read 30 pages of bs every couple days to keep up with bluebird. Maybe i'll just tune into one of these much simplier blogs, where the conversation is more moderated and on topic.
+1. Let's all stick to BB and how to load them to maximize points or miles. I have the Delta SkyMiles SunTrust MasterCard and plan to use it at Walmart when I am nearby one. There are none in DC proper. But there are hundreds of CVS stores and many of them carry VR cards. Most stores still accept credit cards, but a few CVS managers insist on cash only. I stick with stores in less affluent neighborhoods. They usually have the cards and accept CCs in payment.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:51 am

I apologize, as this is slightly off topic, but I figured more people are reading this than other pages...I was in Officemax recently and while I knew they didn't have any beans, I figured I'd check out the rack anyway...i saw southwest gift cards. It didn't click at first, but if you fly southwest a lot and wanted to earn 5x points for all your flights, pretty easy way of doing it. I don't know about other stores, i didn't really see them at OD. I know how i will be paying for my southwest flights going forward.

I will contribute on topic now...there is a CVS in Louisville that is a few miles south of the airport that sells beans and allows credit card purchase. I had to prod the check out person a little to put it through and there were no issues. I bought two of them there while i was in town.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Attention Walgreens shoppers!

"1,000 points when you spend $25.
5,000 points when you spend $50.
10,000 points when you spend $75.
*Balance Rewards point offer good 11/25/2012 thru 12/15/2012 except when otherwise noted. Points will not be earned in a transaction where Redemption Dollars or Store Credit is used. Point Promotions will not apply to and Points cannot be earned on purchases of: alcohol; dairy; tobacco; stamps; phone/prepaid cards; money orders/transfers; transportation passes; lottery tickets; charitable donations; pseudoephedrine or ephedrine product; prescriptions, health tests, contact lenses, or certain items that are excluded in particular Point Promotions, and any other items specified as exclusions by the Company from time to time or where prohibited by law. "

Do you think it will work on Vanilla?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Happy nailed it. I for one will be ditching buying VR w/ my Amex HH card ASAP to avoid any FR.
If you have got nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear with FR

That said I have been putting many thousands through Amex Hilton at grocery stores. Not using BB as exit method but something pretty similar
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:37 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
"If you have got nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear with FR"

Correct.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by al613

*Balance Rewards point offer good 11/25/2012 thru 12/15/2012 except when otherwise noted. Points will not be earned in a transaction where Redemption Dollars or Store Credit is used. Point Promotions will not apply to and Points cannot be earned on purchases of: alcohol; dairy; tobacco; stamps; phone/prepaid cards; money orders/transfers; transportation passes; lottery tickets; charitable donations; pseudoephedrine or ephedrine product; prescriptions, health tests, contact lenses, or certain items that are excluded in particular Point Promotions, and any other items specified as exclusions by the Company from time to time or where prohibited by law. "

No. It specifies will not apply on prepaid cards. (so this could mean 'prepaid cards' and not GC's, but may include all GC's since all GC's are prepaid cards).

If you try, let us know if it works.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
just bought 4 ice cream's with gift cards at my local CVS....had the manager check me out....didn't ask any questions and had no problems with letting me use gift cards.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by al613

While I had the same vision of points galore, this did not work for me at my local Walgreens.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:30 pm
Suspended

plenty of places to buy beans in SEA, you guys just dont know where to look. sheesh.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:20 pm

Went to my local Baskin-Robbins they did not have any beans but plenty of vanilla ice cream!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
plenty of places to buy beans in SEA, you guys just dont know where to look. sheesh.
I'd love to hear more. I've tried Walgreens and 7-11 to no avail. No Family Dollars, CVSs, Dollar Generals, Save Marts, Li'l Crickets, etc. anywhere near here. I'm yet to try a Valero though.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ianturner
just bought 4 ice cream's with gift cards at my local CVS....had the manager check me out....didn't ask any questions and had no problems with letting me use gift cards.
This has been my experience at CVS, too. I bought 4@500, and they told me we needed to break it up into 2@2@$500 "to get the register to take it," which was thoughtful advice.

It does seem to be a binary story-by-store decision. If a given store manager took a loss on a GC deal, perhaps s/he is instructing staff with a tighter policy than corporate.

They have so many gift cards at my local CVS...they now have an end-of-aisle location in the store...which shows either it is making money or they think it will make money...seems unlikely they'd preclude card-funded purchases systemwide.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by DCBob
I see that this is the second time you have asked the latter question. I am simply amazed no one on this forum would take the time to answer your simple question on how long it took to get the permanent card in the mail. Well, it took me 7 days from the date I applied for the card online. If others have a different answer, please let us all know.
Originally Posted by shoreline
I thought someone had answered, but after reading your post, I went back to check and sure enough, I don't see an answer (unless I'm missing it now).

Anyway, it took me about 10 days to get the perm. card in the mail.
Originally Posted by iminsandiego
I applied online and it took me about 7 days as well.
Thank you very much!

The point is moot now. I was hoping to apply for the Hilton card since the offer was expiring on the 30th...and decided to do a mini-app along with it. But I don't know if I'd get the Bluebird in time..and with me gone for the next month, I'll have to try and meet over $10k of min. spending in one month.

A risk I don't want to take.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:59 pm

Impressed with the speed of the Wells Fargo mortgage payment. Posted 2 days after I submitted it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.