Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I suppose when everyone starts using their amex hh cards to buy beans at cvs starting now like ill be doing, we will all hear of many fr postings.
So if I verify that everything stated on any application is correct (income, ... etc.), then I will be pretty much free to charge whatever I want on any of my AMEX cards within my credit limit? If not, why do they want to waste money on their end doing an FR if they are going to pull my cards anyway?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:28 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Two options

Originally Posted by kdinino
TY, though the limit w/ debit card is $1k/mo. right? Or is that online only? Has anyone tried getting cash back w/ BB at wally World? Is it just right at any cashier? Or are we talking ATM?

Last my issue with ST since not within 2k miles of a branch is getting funds back into ST account. Only realistic option is the $500 daily check deposit and that means my other checking account will be getting check writing workout? anyone in same boat trying to finesse this?
I have linked my other checking account to my ST one and transferred money to ST. You could also set up a payroll direct deposit into ST.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by akp
I have linked my other checking account to my ST one and transferred money to ST. You could also set up a payroll direct deposit into ST.
OK, I'm lost. What is "ST"?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:37 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
ST

Originally Posted by philemer
ST = Suntrust Debit Card which earns Delta miles
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
More likely than not, SunTrust: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...d-5-000-a.html.

Looks like it's time to update FT's Glossary!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:02 am

As a newbie here, let me try to understand

Buy the VISA GC w/fee $3.95 at OD pay $500 with Chase Ink and get $496.05 worth and get 2,500 UR points

Then take this VISA GC and find a CVS/Office max or any other place to buy VR and pay $4.95 so essentially you end up paying $500 for $492.10 and 2,500 UR points

Then take this VR and reload it to BB and then write a check to pay your mortgage.

Am I missing something here?

1) Does BB have bonus points or benefits?

2) Instead of writing a check can we transfer money from BB to my checking account? If so what are the fees?

3) I see some people are using their Hilton credit cards and earn 6x miles. I checked Hilton Points website and the cheapest room is 30K points. So you have to spend $5,000 with the credit card which means 10 prepaid cards which means 40-50 dollars for 1 room. How can this be a good deal?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
that's good - i'll take a more thorough look
^

I've had success as well. I believe they are just being rolled out. I've recently seen them in stores that did not carry beans a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by misterno
As a newbie here, let me try to understand

Buy the VISA GC w/fee $3.95 at OD pay $500 with Chase Ink and get $496.05 worth and get 2,500 UR points

Then take this VISA GC and find a CVS/Office max or any other place to buy VR and pay $4.95 so essentially you end up paying $500 for $492.10 and 2,500 UR points

Then take this VR and reload it to BB and then write a check to pay your mortgage.

Am I missing something here?

1) Does BB have bonus points or benefits?

2) Instead of writing a check can we transfer money from BB to my checking account? If so what are the fees?

3) I see some people are using their Hilton credit cards and earn 6x miles. I checked Hilton Points website and the cheapest room is 30K points. So you have to spend 5,000 with the credit card which means 10 prepaid cards which means 40-50 dollars for 1 room. How can this be a good deal?
Almost, but not quite:

You purchase the $500 GC at OD with Ink/Bold and are charged $503.95. You charge the full amount. Netting you ~2520 UR points

Then take the $500 GC to another participating retailer and purchase VR for $496.05.

You can then use the VR to load BB as mentioned and pay bills/mortgage/whatever.

1) No.
2) Yes, no fees, not advisable because it appears to be laundering
3) There are plenty of ways to put good use to Hilton pts. Google AXON or GLOM or just SEARCH the forum.

Have fun!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by emdot
Almost, but not quite:

You purchase the $500 GC at OD with Ink/Bold and are charged $503.95. You charge the full amount. Netting you ~2520 UR points

Then take the $500 GC to another participating retailer and purchase VR for $496.05.

You can then use the VR to load BB as mentioned and pay bills/mortgage/whatever.

1) No.
2) Yes, no fees, not advisable because it appears to be laundering
3) There are plenty of ways to put good use to Hilton pts. Google AXON or GLOM or just SEARCH the forum.

Have fun!
Thanks for the reply. Then I guess check writing is the only way

Also, I googled but can not find anything for AXON or GLOM. Can you elaborate on how to better use the points for Hilton other than hotel rooms? Is it good for airlines?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 am

Also, I googled but can not find anything for AXON or GLOM. Can you elaborate on how to better use the points for Hilton other than hotel rooms? Is it good for airlines?
http://bit.ly/UxWd70

very first link explains it all...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:30 pm

I've found a CVS that has VR and takes CC for it, but the cashier told me that I can't pay for VR using GC. Maybe I should've asked her to try or ask the manager to override? Another CVS has a sign by the GC stand that says "no CC, only cash or debit cards" to pay. Do you suppose using Visa GC will count as "debit card"?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:35 pm

go to the Hilton thread and look at the AXON / GLON thread.

yes, you can transfer to miles, but it's not the best use of your hhonors points. (most redemptions ratios are 10 hhonors points = 1 airmile).

there are some properties for 7,500; 12,500; and 25,000 points as well.

But, the AXON / GLON allows you to book for fewer points per night

here is a good link for AXON / GLON as well.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...h-one-is-best/

Last edited by shoreline; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Do you suppose using Visa GC will count as "debit card"?
The Visa GC itself does say debit on it, even though its not a pinned card.

The last time I was asked, "credit or debit" I said debit and the cashier rung it as debit and it went through no problems... she was however somewhat dumbfounded that it didn't ask me to put my pin in hehe.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:31 pm

I just got back from my first trip to CVS. The one I was at has no problem paying for a VR with my CC. Only issue I ran into was that they only let me charge 2 VRs per transaction. I don't have a great redemption rates on any of my CCs yet at pharmacy, so just to test it out I used my Sapphire Preferred.

I tried to buy 3 initially, and the 2nd transaction was flagged by Chase as a potential fraud alert and was rejected, so I had to use a different card for the 3rd.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by emdot
The Visa GC itself does say debit on it, even though its not a pinned card.

The last time I was asked, "credit or debit" I said debit and the cashier rung it as debit and it went through no problems... she was however somewhat dumbfounded that it didn't ask me to put my pin in hehe.
Interesting. The cashier didnt' ask to see your ID? When I bought my VR at CVS, the cashier stared at my CC, then at me, then at my ID. I'm a little surprised that they just let you swipe it without drama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.