Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by frozyn
He means getting $100 of cash back from WM each time you load. So, for example, you load $1000, then ask for $100 cash back.
TY, though the limit w/ debit card is $1k/mo. right? Or is that online only? Has anyone tried getting cash back w/ BB at wally World? Is it just right at any cashier? Or are we talking ATM?

Last my issue with ST since not within 2k miles of a branch is getting funds back into ST account. Only realistic option is the $500 daily check deposit and that means my other checking account will be getting check writing workout? anyone in same boat trying to finesse this?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Isn't the purchase fee for Visa GC less than Amex GC?
yes it is

again I only used Amex GCs I had bought thru big crumbs... the money I made outweighed the fees I got when buying Visa GCs at CVS when I was doing that.

Today if I were in OD I would buy the visa GC because its less $. Some CVSs may have limits as to what they may sell per transaction meaning you could probably buy a few beans there but have to do them one by one. Oh wait I should have waited for a certain miler to say that with pics lol

good night!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
TY, though the limit w/ debit card is $1k/mo. right? Or is that online only? Has anyone tried getting cash back w/ BB at wally World? Is it just right at any cashier? Or are we talking ATM?
Debit via the website is 1K and has fees. In store debit swipe loading is free shares a 5K/mo cap with vanilla reloads. When I have loaded at any cashier the pin pad doesn't prompt me for cashback.

Last my issue with ST since not within 2k miles of a branch is getting funds back into ST account.
I use a combination of ACH push from my checking account and a token direct deposit.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:38 pm

Is the BB limit:

$5000 for swipe reload and $5000 for vanilla reload

Or is it the combined $5000.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
Is the BB limit:

$5000 for swipe reload and $5000 for vanilla reload

Or is it the combined $5000.
Total is 5,000 combined.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Cardinal (Donna) Fang asked me the same question in my Amex Financial Review (AMEX FR) last year "Why you want to use gift card to buy a gift card? Next words out of her mouth "You have to stop doing that."

It is all nonsense and stupidity until The Spanish Inquisition ties you to a stake and goes looking for matches.
Instead of always pitching new credit cards, I wish one of the bloggers would tackle this Financial Review quesiton. Nobody seems to have a very good idea of exactly what triggers a FR, and how careful one should be buying gift cards.

For example, with the OD opportunity basically shut down, I've been buying some VR at CVS to help satisfy the spend requirement on a new SPG card. I find this quite useful, since I'm not a huge fan of $5000 spends. But the question becomes how much of the $5000 can I safely achieve with VRs. Nobody seems to have the foggiest idea.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
Total is 5,000 combined.
Oops..made a stupid mistake!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:22 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Chuck Berry

"Some will, some won't; Some do, some don't!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by iahphx
Instead of always pitching new credit cards, I wish one of the bloggers would tackle this Financial Review quesiton. Nobody seems to have a very good idea of exactly what triggers a FR, and how careful one should be buying gift cards.
No referral fees for that. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Not true. Found some in SoCal 30 min ago.
that's good - i'll take a more thorough look
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
San Diego is not Bean Town

Could I get a PM tip on where there might be VR's in San Diego or North County.

Karma (the good kind) will come your way in return. Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:13 am

Nobody seems to have a very good idea of exactly what triggers a FR, and how careful one should be buying gift cards.
Nobody other than the good folks who work at AMEX know what triggers FR. You can find lots of threads on the internet about AMEX FR where people try to make a list of things to avoid but then someone else will report that they do the same thing and have no problem. It's not a simple thing. If you have an AMEX history and you hardly ever use their cards at drug stores and then you begin spending 1k a week at CVS they might be afraid you are in poor health and thus a possible financial risk. If sudden spending increase on healthcare correlates with charge-offs in their database they might want to take a closer look at you. But if you never had one of their cards before they don't know what your normal spending pattern is. So perhaps now is the time to establish that your normal drug store spend is 1k per month, or week.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Richklhs
Along the lines of this thread, having trouble finding a local store to let me use gift cards I have from another miles adventure to buy VR. 3 local walgreens and 3 local 7/11's all say cash only. No CVS in washington state, best ideas?
You're lucky you're even finding them in Walgreens and 7-11s. I've tried a few around SEA area and only seen them once. Cash only at that Walgreens sadly.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: A few
Truth is nobody knows. It's not like Amex tells everyone they FR why they are doing it. And FR is only of concern to those lying. As I don't do that in any of my games, I don't care less if Amex want to FR me or not.

If you feel so strongly about it, you should do your own research and publish your own piece.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

For example, with the OD opportunity basically shut down, I've been buying some VR at CVS to help satisfy the spend requirement on a new SPG card. I find this quite useful, since I'm not a huge fan of $5000 spends. But the question becomes how much of the $5000 can I safely achieve with VRs. Nobody seems to have the foggiest idea.
Ive inflated or changed my income on apps due to the nature of being self employed or working freelance often. While we have two properties no mortgages no debt and two paid cars and some savings and investments, i suppose amex could fr me and if they did i would fail despite excellent credit history (with amex since 1988) and no or low balances longer than like 1-2 weeks! Its all luck and policy.

I suppose when everyone starts using their amex hh cards to buy beans at cvs starting now like ill be doing, we will all hear of many fr postings. Im sure theyll nab me one day. And its not even a matter of lying... Once an entity has you in its cross hairs, you are in the cross hairs. Theres a "cost" to get out and time is also factored into it. Its a lot like having to go to a hearing to dispute a traffic ticket you know you can get out of. Even when you win you still missed a half day of work being there and maybe even had to pay some $20 filing fee you can get back. So the key is to be lucky to have never been stopped in the first place--whether you did something or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.