Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Or kinda like how FTG is spending 16000 a month on ice creams. I truly cannot stand these people that do this. You are killing this deal by doing that. Fly under the radar and have some composure.
Why? How is that -any- different than 16 people buying $1k each? The end result (fiscally speaking) is exactly the same.

Complaining about how much others buy simply comes across as thinly veiled jealousy.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Why? How is that -any- different than 16 people buying $1k each? The end result (fiscally speaking) is exactly the same.

Complaining about how much others buy simply comes across as thinly veiled jealousy.
16 people buying 1-2 cards over time is far less attention-grabbing and suspicious to a store than 1 person buying 16 cards at a time and pestering the store for more.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you witness it in the store? This kind of behavior will get the deal killed for everyone. Personally, I would have confronted her and tried to reason nicely...if that failed, I would have tipped off the manager she was up to no good so he could block her purchase.

This is almost as a good as the original AAA Amex Traveler Check deal and the coins - but we all know why those deals are gone and this one could go too with this sort of behavior.

I found an OD local to me whose rack was full of cards (no, I won't disclose the location and it's not in FL), so the 'fever' hasn't spread here yet, but if OD changes policy in a few weeks, we can thank people like the lady from NJ.
Why do you think the previous deals died? They did not die because few people bought in large quantities but they died because it was over publicized by ppl who wanted 15 minute fame or who wanted few kickback dollars! (you know out favorite group, don't you?).

ETA - If I was there, I would have also bought maximum I am comfortable with !
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:32 am

Did you witness it in the store?
No, that's why it struck me so much. The management and the teller were suspicious after this happened and specifically asked me what I was using the reloads for. When I asked why they were curious they told me about the lady from out of state.

So yes, as a previous poster said, technically it would have been the same as 13 people buying 2 cards, or 26 people buying one reload each from the perspective of a computer algorithm. However from the perspective of management it was not the same since it aroused suspicion and drew attention to it.

If pressure comes down from corporate, the management may decide not to accept CC payments anymore (the way some Walgreens do already), and that would be very inconvenient. I'm not saying that people should stop doing this, but at least try to be a little less suspicious about it, that's all. I'm not criticizing this lady for wanting to, I just wanted to point out that things like this DO draw attention.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:34 am

I found an OD local to me whose rack was full of cards, so the 'fever' hasn't spread here yet.
I think whether or not you have the fever depends a bit on your local supply. Since you have a local OD with a rack full of cards it is easy to think "this is great, I'll just buy a couple every week." How the fever spreads to you is you go back to your store next week and the rack is stripped clean. You drive around to the other stores in your area and those racks are stripped clean. After three weeks of no cards in your local ODs you find a store that has 10 cards on the rack. Maybe you still need to spend 5k to meet the minimum spend for the bonus and you only have 30 days left. If you buy all 10 cards you will meet spend for bonus. If you only buy two now the rack may be empty again when you go back next week and you will have to find another method to meet the spend for bonus. Now how many of those 10 cards are you going to buy?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ddallas
I think whether or not you have the fever depends a bit on your local supply. Since you have a local OD with a rack full of cards it is easy to think "this is great, I'll just buy a couple every week." How the fever spreads to you is you go back to your store next week and the rack is stripped clean. You drive around to the other stores in your area and those racks are stripped clean. After three weeks of no cards in your local ODs you find a store that has 10 cards on the rack. Maybe you still need to spend 5k to meet the minimum spend for the bonus and you only have 30 days left. If you buy all 10 cards you will meet spend for bonus. If you only buy two now the rack may be empty again when you go back next week and you will have to find another method to meet the spend for bonus. Now how many of those 10 cards are you going to buy?
Ok, this is a valid point...but if everyone controls themselves, we shouldn't have stores stripped clean....I'm pretty sure OD corporate is aware of what's going on by now unless they are totally dimwitted...so the clock is ticking.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:48 am

but if everyone controls themselves
Hehe...THIS my friend is impossible and IMHO is not going to get you anything! As I stated before there is a difference between 1000 ppl nationwide buying 10k each and 100,000 ppl buing 1k/2k each!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL, WoH

Not jealous at all. I'm not a selfish person. I don't want this good deal to be killed for all of us. Bloggers, selfish people, and over publicity will get this deal ruined. I've spread my purchases out buying 462.76 in cards one month, then something different the next. OD is none the wiser. There is no way one person is buying 25 computers a month.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:54 am
Suspended

Not jealous at all. I'm not a selfish person. I don't want this good deal to be killed for all of us. Bloggers, selfish people, and over publicity will get this deal ruined. I've spread my purchases out buying 462.76 in cards one month, then something different the next. OD is none the wiser. There is no way one person is buying 25 computers a month.
OD knows exactly what you're buying and no amount of tomfoolery is going to change that that.

Or did you mean Chase?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:00 am

OD knows exactly what you're buying and no amount of tomfoolery is going to change that that.

Or did you mean Chase?
I meant chase.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:04 am
Suspended

I meant chase.
Chase knows what you're buying as well. The line item data shown on your reciept is available to the CC companies.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Has anyone been told by CVS that it is cash/debit only for all gift cards? Ran into that this morning and wanted to see about others' experiences before I try a different CVS.
I went to cvs on wednesday bought one with amex went rang up and never questioned it, went thursday lady at registers said cash only for reloadable cards. i started to walk away and she said well we can try it these are new. i told her i think these new ones you can since they have a prominant amex symbol on the CVS vanilla reload cards. went thru no problem.
will try multiple purchases next time.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:19 am

Chase knows what you're buying as well. The line item data shown on your reciept is available to the CC companies.
If that's the case I guess we are SOL. Didn't know that.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why?
Is buying Vanilla reloads with a Chase card contrary to some T&C?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Well just because the line item data is available doesn't mean that they're looking at it. If a suspicious charge (i.e. way higher than normal spending patterns) triggers a fraud alert, this could cause them to look at it, but I doubt people are sitting in front of computer screens 24/7 watching line items scroll across their screen. So I would imagine that staying just under the radar should keep things alive for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.