Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Interesting. The cashier didnt' ask to see your ID? When I bought my VR at CVS, the cashier stared at my CC, then at me, then at my ID. I'm a little surprised that they just let you swipe it without drama.
Here's how it went down:

I handed her the bean and she asked how much I'd like to load, I told her 496.05, she scanned it and everything and asked me credit or debit. I told her debit, then swiped my GC through the reader (didn't give it to her, just used the reader on the counter). It immediately spit out a receipt, she looked at it funny for a second and then gave it to me and off I went. Pitched the used GC in the trash on the way out. Easy Peasy.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by akp
ST = Suntrust Debit Card which earns Delta miles
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
More likely than not, SunTrust: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...d-5-000-a.html.

Looks like it's time to update FT's Glossary!
Thanks. I'm afraid the Glossary could never keep up with this thread.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:30 pm

Maybe someone can simplify this:
- which cards can be loaded into Bluebird
- which stores sell these cards
- which stores allow you to buy them with a credit card
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Has been done over and over on blogs and here hence why the deal is dead!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by st.exupery
All of these answers are in this exact thread. Its not that hard to put a little effort in. SMH.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoreline
go to the Hilton thread and look at the AXON / GLON thread.

yes, you can transfer to miles, but it's not the best use of your hhonors points. (most redemptions ratios are 10 hhonors points = 1 airmile).

there are some properties for 7,500; 12,500; and 25,000 points as well.

But, the AXON / GLON allows you to book for fewer points per night

here is a good link for AXON / GLON as well.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...h-one-is-best/
Yeah, I discussed this earlier. Frankly, the "thrill of the chase" for VRs may be better than the actual reward when you buy them at CVS (as opposed to the now-expired deal at Office Depot).

As discussed above, HHonors tends to be a good program for multi-night award stays at 4-star hotels. If you're going to spend 4 nights in Hawaii or a European capital, collecting HHonors points through VR seems worthwhile. Otherwise, objectively, HHonors is a suckish award program. Run-of-the-mill Hampton Inns tend to be 30 or 35,000 points. That's a lot of beans.

Even without a drugstore category bonus, I think most folks would do a little better using their SPG AMEX since they have many USA hotels in medium and large cities that are 3 and 4,000 points night (some hotels are cheaper on weekends) and many of SPG's more expensive hotels can be bought for low cash and point outlay in their "cash & points" program (HHonors has launched a similar program, but it's less lucrative and fewer hotels participate). SPG also has a lucrative airline transfer program giving you 25,000 miles for 20,000 SPG points (you're still better spending them at hotels unless you don't need hotel stays though).

Unless you have easy access to a CVS that carries ample VRs and allows credit card payments, you can easily pass up this deal and go back to your normal life. Traditional credit card churning is more lucrative, simpler, and will keep you out of trouble.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Interesting. The cashier didnt' ask to see your ID? When I bought my VR at CVS, the cashier stared at my CC, then at me, then at my ID. I'm a little surprised that they just let you swipe it without drama.
I too swipe and go.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by PhoenixFF
Has been done over and over on blogs and here hence why the deal is dead!
+1 Discretion is the better part of valor.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:46 pm

No ID, No questions asked!

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I too swipe and go.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:25 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Hey guys... so I heard about this deal where you can order coins from the mint and not pay shipping! Shhhh... it's a secret so don't tell anyone!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:43 pm

I have been keeping up with the thread for a while now.

I am wondering why there's not much talk about the $100MC that can be bought at Staples with the rebate?

I am sure it may be in this thread somewhere (I have been looking back through the thread again), but I cannot tell if this card can be used to directly load onto the BB or not.

Can someone please pm me the answer to this question, or post here?

I am wondering why there's so little chatter about the MC card, and much chatter about the VS cards.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
So if I verify that everything stated on any application is correct (income, ... etc.), then I will be pretty much free to charge whatever I want on any of my AMEX cards within my credit limit? If not, why do they want to waste money on their end doing an FR if they are going to pull my cards anyway?
As said in the movie Wall Street when being asked about why Gordon Gecko would ruin that small company, "because I can!"

In this case the "I" would be Amex.

Originally Posted by shoreline
I have been keeping up with the thread for a while now.

I am wondering why there's not much talk about the $100MC that can be bought at Staples with the rebate?

I am sure it may be in this thread somewhere (I have been looking back through the thread again), but I cannot tell if this card can be used to directly load onto the BB or not.

Can someone please pm me the answer to this question, or post here?

I am wondering why there's so little chatter about the MC card, and much chatter about the VS cards.
See the blogs on the staples gcs
They cannot be loaded to the bb
Only beans can
And dd
And debit at wm
Its all in here and in the blogs
And it will die soon too because greed is good and...
because it can
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
So in effect with the double purchase, OD to CVS it comes to $79 in purchase fees for 25k+ miles with ink. Not free but somewhat reasonable on expensive tix.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:01 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So in effect with the double purchase, OD to CVS it comes to $79 in purchase fees for 25k+ miles with ink. Not free but somewhat reasonable on expensive tix.
yeppers
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
As said in the movie Wall Street when being asked about why Gordon Gecko would ruin that small company, "because I can!"

In this case the "I" would be Amex.

See the blogs on the staples gcs
They cannot be loaded to the bb
Only beans can
And dd
And debit at wm
Its all in here and in the blogs
And it will die soon too because greed is good and...
because it can

MM, you are funny.~

Thanks for the info. I've been reading all the threads. Missed the great debakle of the OD/VR runs.

Feel like my head is spinning with all the reading 'round here.

Wonder if anyone has tried to use the MC at CVS to purchase the VR?
I know the VS has been used.

Still wondering whether or not it's worth moving the $ around for the UR points. hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.