FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

nas6034 May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Had an interesting experience today. Tried to load a certain amount and when i swiped an amex biz fold it said card not accepted or not allowed. Very weird. I call amex about gettinf decline ans they said they dont see any attempted transactions.

glocklt4 May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20746519)
Had an interesting experience today. Tried to load a certain amount and when i swiped an amex biz fold it said card not accepted or not allowed. Very weird. I call amex about gettinf decline ans they said they dont see any attempted transactions.

Has happened to me too. I just tried again after doing some shopping and with a lower amount and it worked fine.

littlemookie May 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I had a similar thing happen a few months ago with the Amex Business Rewards Gold when I was trying to meet the minimum spend. I swiped the card and the cashier told me it was declined. I didn't push the matter and used a different card. Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful.

st.exupery May 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Had one incident where the charge went through, but no money was put on the Amex Target card. We caught it immediately because the credit did not appear on the receipt. So the manager cancelled the first transaction and then did another.

oneworld82 May 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Tried to load my Amex GC onto the Target Amex... was declined... those still work, right?

Stoughton May 16, 2013 8:41 am

Any word on if this program will expand to other Targets? The nearest one with the cards is quite a ways away

iahphx May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

I've never tried to get rid of random gift/rebate cards at Target. From a tire rebate, I just got a $50 Visa card issued by Citi and labeled as "debit." If I go to the cashier and say I want to load $1000 onto my Target AMEX card, will the cash register apply the $50 from my "rebate" card and then ask for additional payment? My Target cashiers aren't familiar with the reload process (they just follow the prompts, sometimes with the aid of a manager), and I therefore like to keep it as simple as possible. I could obviously just spend the $50 card elsewhere if it will cause me "problems."

Oh, and do I need to somehow register and add a zip code to the rebate card to get it to work?

st.exupery May 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82 (Post 20758595)
Tried to load my Amex GC onto the Target Amex... was declined... those still work, right?

Did you try within one hour of buying the Amex GC? Could be a delay in availability with Amex GCs

Superorb May 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20762351)
I've never tried to get rid of random gift/rebate cards at Target. From a tire rebate, I just got a $50 Visa card issued by Citi and labeled as "debit." If I go to the cashier and say I want to load $1000 onto my Target AMEX card, will the cash register apply the $50 from my "rebate" card and then ask for additional payment? My Target cashiers aren't familiar with the reload process (they just follow the prompts, sometimes with the aid of a manager), and I therefore like to keep it as simple as possible. I could obviously just spend the $50 card elsewhere if it will cause me "problems."

Oh, and do I need to somehow register and add a zip code to the rebate card to get it to work?

Yes, the Target system is smart enough to drain the GC and then prompt for the remaining balance. I've done this with a handful of MC GCs without issue. Sometimes they ask for the last 4 digits from the card though.

MilesGator May 18, 2013 4:52 pm

BofA

I've searched BoA, BofA, Bank of America, Virgin, Atlantic, Virgin Atlantic and VA. None of these searches helped me with this question. Hopefully someone here will.

If I use the Bank of America Virgin Atlantic card to load my Target Amex, will this count towards minimum spend?

People have reported that using this card "works", but no one (that I've seen) has reported whether points were awarded for it, and more specifically if sign-up bonus points were awarded. Thanks for your help FTers!

Superorb May 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator (Post 20773109)
I've searched BoA, BofA, Bank of America, Virgin, Atlantic, Virgin Atlantic and VA. None of these searches helped me with this question. Hopefully someone here will.

If I use the Bank of America Virgin Atlantic card to load my Target Amex, will this count towards minimum spend?

People have reported that using this card "works", but no one (that I've seen) has reported whether points were awarded for it, and more specifically if sign-up bonus points were awarded. Thanks for your help FTers!

It shows up as a purchase form Target. No reason it shouldn't work.

iahphx May 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 20764298)
Yes, the Target system is smart enough to drain the GC and then prompt for the remaining balance. I've done this with a handful of MC GCs without issue. Sometimes they ask for the last 4 digits from the card though.

Thanks. That seems to be what folks are reporting. I'm a little reluctant to do it because my local store doesn't sell the Target AMEX and the cashiers are completely clueless about the reloads. But I get them to swipe my card, and the prompts are basically idiot-proof. I'm reluctant to complicate the transaction in any manner. I guess I'll try it sometime; in the meantime, I can unload the modest number of small gift cards I receive through Amazon Payments.

Superorb May 20, 2013 11:26 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20773936)
Thanks. That seems to be what folks are reporting. I'm a little reluctant to do it because my local store doesn't sell the Target AMEX and the cashiers are completely clueless about the reloads. But I get them to swipe my card, and the prompts are basically idiot-proof. I'm reluctant to complicate the transaction in any manner. I guess I'll try it sometime; in the meantime, I can unload the modest number of small gift cards I receive through Amazon Payments.

Usually I'll ask first if they've ever reloaded one of these cards (and I show her the card). If they say no I say I'll walk them through it. Have them swipe the AFT card on the register, then tell them the amount to enter. Then start swiping your payment cards on the card reader. Sometimes it asks for the last 4 of each payment card. Easy :)

romsdeals3 May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Two of my credit cards were denied recently because of possible fraud I'm guessing. One card was Chase Hyatt (haven't used in a while) and the 2nd card was a new citi AA card. My 3rd card (new chase priority club) worked fine.

iahphx May 21, 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 20781538)
Usually I'll ask first if they've ever reloaded one of these cards (and I show her the card). If they say no I say I'll walk them through it. Have them swipe the AFT card on the register, then tell them the amount to enter. Then start swiping your payment cards on the card reader. Sometimes it asks for the last 4 of each payment card. Easy :)

OK, thanks. I will try it. I guess what I can't do is take one credit card and, say, charge $400, and then take another card for the balance. (This would be useful for avoiding fraud alerts on new cards.) It sounds like it must be a gift card with a balance that can be drained, before the system will ask you for an additional payment.