FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

elBulli Dec 10, 12 9:16 pm

Went into Target the other day, one listed on the AMEX site. Cashier didn't know what I was talking about, and thought I was looking for regular AMEX gift cards. Is this something that one buys directly off the rack or is there some sort of sign-up process like with the Serve and AMEX Prepaid?

farwest101 Dec 10, 12 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by elBulli (Post 19832972)
Went into Target the other day, one listed on the AMEX site. Cashier didn't know what I was talking about, and thought I was looking for regular AMEX gift cards. Is this something that one buys directly off the rack or is there some sort of sign-up process like with the Serve and AMEX Prepaid?

They are usually found at the top of one - or two (of the 10 or 20 in the store) - of the checkout lines racks/shelves - you have to look carefully for them. Both times I've seen them they are a cardboard display maybe 8" tall x 24" long with perhaps 10- 20 cards - easy to miss.

And almost nobody knows about them. I've been going for months and only a couple of cashiers have ever heard of them (get used to them saying "I didn't know we had these" and "I didn't know you could do that" - it's maddening after so many months to hear the same thing - it's obvious zero training/marketing has been done).

Even today when I loaded my card, the usual dimwitted cashier had to call the "supervisor" to "help" - the supervisor had never seen a Target Amex either (even though I pointed the display out not 5' from where we were standing) - the supervisor actually called security because she was dubious you could actually load the card (FWIW, "security" was a 20 year old pimply-faced rent-a-badge who probably would have peed his pants if a real bad guy showed up). It was ludicrous. I had to tell THEM how to ring the cards up (it's simple - takes about 20 seconds IF they know what they are doing). So something that should have taken 20 seconds took 10 minutes. I was pissed.

I detest stores like Target in the first place - the average intelligence level of employees is slightly above a slug. To have to educate them about their own product is infuriating. It will be a cold day in Hades before I ever shop in a Target.

elBulli Dec 11, 12 6:59 am

Ah, okay thanks for the heads up. I'll go in today and scour the registers looking for them. So nothing has to be mailed or anything like that, I just buy the card and register it/load it and maybe do an online profile?

ddallas Dec 11, 12 9:09 am

Originally Posted by elBulli (Post 19834830)
Ah, okay thanks for the heads up. I'll go in today and scour the registers looking for them. So nothing has to be mailed or anything like that, I just buy the card and register it/load it and maybe do an online profile?

Go at a time when it is not busy. You will have to answer a bunch of questions at the cashier. They gather the same info you would enter filling out a credit card application (Address, birthday, driver license, social security number, income, etc.) Folks standing behind you in line may begin giving heavy sighs especially if the clerk can't follow the prompts on the screen and has to call for help.

delmolino Dec 11, 12 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ddallas (Post 19835423)
Go at a time when it is not busy. You will have to answer a bunch of questions at the cashier. They gather the same info you would enter filling out a credit card application (Address, birthday, driver license, social security number, income, etc.) Folks standing behind you in line may begin giving heavy sighs especially if the clerk can't follow the prompts on the screen and has to call for help.

Last wednesday this happened to me. I went on a busy hour got the card but cashier was completely lost, it took around 20 minutes and people were super upset.

Good thing is that I could fill up SSN, Phone, and other stuff in the screen rather than saying out loud.

Now waiting for the permanent card.

booyaa Dec 11, 12 1:40 pm

They do not ask about income.... In NY, they simply scanned license and half the stuff is already pre-filled....

the_jaguar Dec 11, 12 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 19837275)
They do not ask about income.... In NY, they simply scanned license and half the stuff is already pre-filled....

same thing in the bay area. they scanned my license and pretty much most of my info was there already. I entered my SSN via the credit card swiping instrument and that was it.

TroyMcClure Dec 11, 12 2:50 pm

can all targets process a reload or only the ones offering the card?

the_jaguar Dec 11, 12 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure (Post 19837697)
can all targets process a reload or only the ones offering the card?

all target stores can - btw, this question has been asked before on this very thread and been answered.

cardinalkid1891 Dec 11, 12 4:53 pm

Same in CA. They just scan the barcode on the license and just about everything is filled out.

windcloud5 Dec 17, 12 5:32 pm

Is this happening to me or someone else has experienced this? I purchased a Target Amex prepaid and got a letter from Amex saying they can't identify me. BTW, I have 3 CC with Amex. So I called Amex and gave them my info on the phone. They said they will try to re-verify it. Mean while I went to Target and bought another Amex prepaid. And I received another letter from amex saying they can't verify my ID for the second Amex card I purchased. I have to call them again to give them my info. Now it has been 2.5 weeks sinced I purchase the first card and 1.5 weeks since I purchased the second card. I still haven't receive my Pin nor my permanent Amex card. How long do people have to wait for the permanent card after they called and gave Amex their personal info?

umc Dec 17, 12 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by windcloud5 (Post 19875518)
Is this happening to me or someone else has experienced this? I purchased a Target Amex prepaid and got a letter from Amex saying they can't identify me. BTW, I have 3 CC with Amex. So I called Amex and gave them my info on the phone. They said they will try to re-verify it. Mean while I went to Target and bought another Amex prepaid. And I received another letter from amex saying they can't verify my ID for the second Amex card I purchased. I have to call them again to give them my info. Now it has been 2.5 weeks sinced I purchase the first card and 1.5 weeks since I purchased the second card. I still haven't receive my Pin nor my permanent Amex card. How long do people have to wait for the permanent card after they called and gave Amex their personal info?

That happened to some people already.

cardinalkid1891 Dec 17, 12 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar (Post 19837732)
all target stores can - btw, this question has been asked before on this very thread and been answered.

Not true. Tried reloading my card at a Target in NC and it was a no go. Went to customer service and same thing happened, so unless i'm doing something wrong, I don't think all stores can reload the cards.

vacaloca Dec 17, 12 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891 (Post 19875758)
Not true. Tried reloading my card at a Target in NC and it was a no go. Went to customer service and same thing happened, so unless i'm doing something wrong, I don't think all stores can reload the cards.

Stores that don't sell them definitely can load them -- NH does not sell them and I loaded one in a store yesterday at CS desk with no issues. I think some cashiers/CS people aren't trained in how to load them. I bought one in MA today and it was declined on my Citi HHonors at first, but lo and behold a few seconds later I got a Citi fraud alert txt on my phone. I replied with 1 (yes, I have my card) and I had the cashier re-swipe with no problems. She was even able to split the initial $500 load into 2 cards for the same $3 fee, which was good because I only needed $200 more to meet spend reqs on my Citi card.

mnscout Dec 18, 12 12:15 am

True, and yet it still took the cashier good 15 minutes form start to finish. Oh, well.