FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

jackiesyu May 21, 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20787133)
OK, thanks. I will try it. I guess what I can't do is take one credit card and, say, charge $400, and then take another card for the balance. (This would be useful for avoiding fraud alerts on new cards.) It sounds like it must be a gift card with a balance that can be drained, before the system will ask you for an additional payment.

Actually you can specify how much to charge on each card, even if it is a credit card. I've done it and there is no issue with it at all.

thebluejean May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Unable to load Visa/Amex GCs?

Today I tried to load a bunch of Visa/Amex GCs to my Amex Target and both types all got declined. The system said it won't accept "this type" of payment. I hope it's just one time issue and not permanent.

Does anybody have recently loaded Visa/Amex GCs successfully in past few days?

Will try different Target later this week.

mxrodriguez May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

I am new to all of this, so please be gentle.

I did an App-O-Rama and was approved for various cards Bold, SPG, and Plat Biz each with their own min spend to get my signup bonus points. Im sure I can meet the minimum spends with AP and BB but of course there was a little trial and error before I figured out the proper way to use our various avenues.

Im in NYC, so Beans are hard to come by. GreenDot are cash only so Vanilla Gift cards are the only CC purchases available to me right now. Im lucky (or unlucky) enough to live 15min from a Walmart so I signed up and received my BB. Went to Staples and bought a few $200 Vanilla Visa Gift cards and went to Walgreens and felt good about picking up 2 $500 OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Debit cards (to save on the purchase fees). The feeling was shortlived when, at Walmart, I was only able to load the $200 Visa Gift Cards. The $500 OneVanilla was declined. When I checked online the transaction said 'MCC declined'. Merchant Code issue.

I thought I was SOL with $1000 tied up in OneVanilla but I tried the Amex for Target route after reading about it here. I crossed my fingers that I would not have the same MCC issue when trying to use the OneVanilla card and my jaw dropped when the cashier said it was declined... but she noticed my card and says "Oh if its a Gift card, just press credit.. it will go through". It friggin worked!! Happy!!

Moral of the story, for the newbies of course...
$500 OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Card CANNOT be loaded on BB but it CAN be loaded on Amex for Target using credit transaction NOT debit.. even though it says DEBIT right on the card.

Now to figure out my best strategy.
Staples and Target are in the same parking lot.
I guess I can buy 5x$200 Visa Gift Cards in Staples with Bold for 5x and load to Amex for Target. Or Just load up with my Bold at Target to meet my minimum spend with less purchase fees.. but MUCH less UR points. I guess the Staples route is the correct way to go.

Superorb May 23, 2013 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mxrodriguez (Post 20791060)
I am new to all of this, so please be gentle.

I did an App-O-Rama and was approved for various cards Bold, SPG, and Plat Biz each with their own min spend to get my signup bonus points. Im sure I can meet the minimum spends with AP and BB but of course there was a little trial and error before I figured out the proper way to use our various avenues.

Im in NYC, so Beans are hard to come by. GreenDot are cash only so Vanilla Gift cards are the only CC purchases available to me right now. Im lucky (or unlucky) enough to live 15min from a Walmart so I signed up and received my BB. Went to Staples and bought a few $200 Vanilla Visa Gift cards and went to Walgreens and felt good about picking up 2 $500 OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Debit cards (to save on the purchase fees). The feeling was shortlived when, at Walmart, I was only able to load the $200 Visa Gift Cards. The $500 OneVanilla was declined. When I checked online the transaction said 'MCC declined'. Merchant Code issue.

I thought I was SOL with $1000 tied up in OneVanilla but I tried the Amex for Target route after reading about it here. I crossed my fingers that I would not have the same MCC issue when trying to use the OneVanilla card and my jaw dropped when the cashier said it was declined... but she noticed my card and says "Oh if its a Gift card, just press credit.. it will go through". It friggin worked!! Happy!!

Moral of the story, for the newbies of course...
$500 OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Card CANNOT be loaded on BB but it CAN be loaded on Amex for Target using credit transaction NOT debit.. even though it says DEBIT right on the card.

Now to figure out my best strategy.
Staples and Target are in the same parking lot.
I guess I can buy 5x$200 Visa Gift Cards in Staples with Bold for 5x and load to Amex for Target. Or Just load up with my Bold at Target to meet my minimum spend with less purchase fees.. but MUCH less UR points. I guess the Staples route is the correct way to go.

The $6/7 per $200 card is not worth it. Just pickup $500 cards from Kroger/King Soopers/grocery store and save yourself the hassle.

iahphx May 23, 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jackiesyu (Post 20787706)
Actually you can specify how much to charge on each card, even if it is a credit card. I've done it and there is no issue with it at all.

How would you do that? When the cashier swipes my Target AMEX card, she asks me how much I want to put on it. I tell her $1000. The total then comes up as $1003 with the fee. I swipe my credit card. What would I tell the cashier to do if I want, say, $400 on one credit card and $600 on another?

mxrodriguez May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ;
The $6/7 per $200 card is not worth it. Just pickup $500 cards from Kroger/King Soopers/grocery store and save yourself the hassle.

Im in NYC..
No Kroger/King Soopers
No Vanilla REloads to be found
Cash only on the greendots and most other reloads

Plus, like I said, 5X on the Ink cards at Staples..
and Im just trying to meet min spend for the bonuses at this point.

dawhipsaw May 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20799271)
How would you do that? When the cashier swipes my Target AMEX card, she asks me how much I want to put on it. I tell her $1000. The total then comes up as $1003 with the fee. I swipe my credit card. What would I tell the cashier to do if I want, say, $400 on one credit card and $600 on another?

"I'd like to pay with a split tender on this transaction across 2 cards. $400 on the first card, please."

Superorb May 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by mxrodriguez (Post 20799822)
Im in NYC..
No Kroger/King Soopers
No Vanilla REloads to be found
Cash only on the greendots and most other reloads

Plus, like I said, 5X on the Ink cards at Staples..
and Im just trying to meet min spend for the bonuses at this point.

I'm in a similar boat. No CVS in the state and nowhere will sell a VR with a CC. I've tried them all multiple times. Have you tried other grocery stores? Surely one of them must sell Visa/MC GCs. I'd only go the $200 route to meet min spend, but you have to figure that at some point it won't be worth it.

jackiesyu May 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20799271)

I always go to the customer service for AMEX load because some of the cashiers at check-out line are not always knowledgable enough to make this work.
Say, like your example that you'd like to load $1000 and total comes to $1003. I will tell the cashier that I would like to split the transaction into multiple cards. He/she will ask me how much I wanted to put on each card, one card at a time and the cashier will let me know when I can swipe the card and go from there...

zeppoloveskafka May 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by jackiesyu (Post 20801258)
I always go to the customer service for AMEX load because some of the cashiers at check-out line are not always knowledgable enough to make this work.
Say, like your example that you'd like to load $1000 and total comes to $1003. I will tell the cashier that I would like to split the transaction into multiple cards. He/she will ask me how much I wanted to put on each card, one card at a time and the cashier will let me know when I can swipe the card and go from there...

Personally I just load 497 per card. Less hassle.

rdaven2003 May 24, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 20802034)
Personally I just load 497 per card. Less hassle.

Why would you load each card when you can load 2 cards for $997?

SGJazz May 24, 2013 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rdaven2003 (Post 20805108)
Why would you load each card when you can load 2 cards for $997?

Not to mention $3/447 versus $3/1000

rdaven2003 May 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SGJazz (Post 20805170)
Not to mention $3/447 versus $3/1000

That's what I am talking about!

jk2 May 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jackiesyu (Post 20801258)

Easy route - Target's registers are quite smart - they will drain your GC automatically and if not enough, ask for remaining amount.

TheDapperDon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm

I was traveling out of state in Chicago and realized that I didn't pack any boxers. I travel regularly, but I routinely forget something important

I decided to go to Target instead of going commando during my trip. Lo and behold, I see a display with some Amex Target cards. I grabbed one immediately. I explained to my gf what I was doing and she decided to get one also to meet minimum spend on a Gold Delta Amex.

I attempted to load the card with one of my BofA cards, but they declined the purchases. I was ticked off because I just had them activate my card for large purchases back at home. I had to use a Citi card and fix the issue later.

I hope that I get a permanent Amex Target card soon. I intend to load it with Visa GCs. I hope it works out. As a newcomer to this product, I appreciate any additional tips that you might have to share.