FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

yztim Apr 16, 2013 8:52 am

I need to meet a min spend on my wifes card. Can I open a AFT in my name with my wifes CC if shes there with me to provide ID? I know for regular purchases Target doesnt always ask for ID, so maybe for reloads it will work without her present.
Tim

iahphx Apr 16, 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by agent0068 (Post 20599881)
yea i intend to go back and/or try a different location. fwiw, i picked mine up in MI and had the failure in NC. tried a number of cashiers (who all brought me to the same supervisor lol). the customer service area was equally at a loss

I'm a bit surprised by your reload trouble. The nice thing about Target's cashier systems is that they tend to be both fast and idiot-proof. In this case, all the cashier has to do is scan the card and the simple prompts tell them how to do the reload. Most cashiers have no reload experience, but if you tell them to scan the card, they handle the transaction very easily. Once in a while, a rookie cashier asks for managerial assistance but, again, since the system is idiot-proof, it doesn't take much effort for the manager to get the tranaction done. The stores in my state don't carry the card, and I had to buy them elsewhere, but they have no problems doing the reloads.

Originally Posted by yztim (Post 20600169)
I need to meet a min spend on my wifes card. Can I open a AFT in my name with my wifes CC if shes there with me to provide ID? I know for regular purchases Target doesnt always ask for ID, so maybe for reloads it will work without her present.
Tim

This will likely be a YMMV type thing. I don't know the rules and, I'd bet, nobody at your Target store does either. Logic would say they could check your ID to open the account in your name and your wife's ID for the payment, but you probably won't know until you try it.

Bean Apr 16, 2013 11:14 am

Can you add other items to the same transaction as the reload to vary the amount?

theacolyte Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 20601009)
Can you add other items to the same transaction as the reload to vary the amount?

Yes. I always just add my normal shopping with my AFT load.

josephstern Apr 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 20601009)

Or just reload $992.34 or something if you think that'll help. There's no rule that you have to reload $1000.

iahphx Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 20602952)
Or just reload $992.34 or something if you think that'll help. There's no rule that you have to reload $1000.

I'd be shocked if AMEX or your credit card company cares about your Target reload amount.

Unless, perhaps, you're somehow gaining custody of a dozen or so AMEX Target cards.

miniaturekat Apr 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20600256)
I'm a bit surprised by your reload trouble. The nice thing about Target's cashier systems is that they tend to be both fast and idiot-proof. In this case, all the cashier has to do is scan the card and the simple prompts tell them how to do the reload. Most cashiers have no reload experience, but if you tell them to scan the card, they handle the transaction very easily. Once in a while, a rookie cashier asks for managerial assistance but, again, since the system is idiot-proof, it doesn't take much effort for the manager to get the tranaction done. The stores in my state don't carry the card, and I had to buy them elsewhere, but they have no problems doing the reloads.

This will likely be a YMMV type thing. I don't know the rules and, I'd bet, nobody at your Target store does either. Logic would say they could check your ID to open the account in your name and your wife's ID for the payment, but you probably won't know until you try it.

I'll second all of this. I've been reloading my Target card quite a bit and haven't had any problems. Had a few cashiers that didn't know how to reload at first but were quick learners after I showed them how. :p

As for ID, I've never been asked for an ID during a reload.

DaveInLA Apr 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I had trouble loading my Target AMEX for the first time today. I did it without any difficulty just about a week ago. This time, the cashier scanned the Target AMEX card and chose credit card as form of payment. I swiped my MC gift card and it asked for my PIN number. I entered my PIN in my new MC gift card and it would not take. I told the cashier to hit K4 for gift card which i remember working in the past. This time, the screen shows that the clerk is supposed to scan a barcode from a Target gc even those aren't allowed. Ultimately, I was able to load it but I had to hit a lot of cancel buttons. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.

WOXOF Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Loading Target card

This may have been shared elsewhere in this thread. If so, I apologize.

While you can only purchase the card at specific Target locations, it can be loaded at any Target customer service center.

Corridor! Apr 17, 2013 8:37 pm

I purchased my Amex Target yesterday at about 10am. I checked this morning and I was able to see the pin. I went to my local grocery store this morning and was able to pull $400 from the ATM. (ATM had $1 charge)

I have read back to post #561. Has anyone tried withdrawing more than $400 in a single transaction? When looking through the terms I received, it says that you can withdraw $200 per week. Obviously that isn't correct. What is stopping us from withdrawing more than $400?

I believe BB's withdraw limit is supposed to be $500. I once pulled out $520.

Thanks in advance!

Alcibiades Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

$400 per 24 hours

rdaven2003 Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by yztim (Post 20600169)
Tim

I have had the Target card for about 5 months now and have had no problems with it. Today was the first time that they asked for an ID to load it. It was at a Target that I usually do not go to so it was kind of strange to have to show an ID?

nas6034 Apr 18, 2013 5:40 am

Has anyone used this card to load a BB at the kiosk in WM? Did it work? What are the fees associated with it, if any? (cross-posted)

rambo Apr 18, 2013 8:44 am

BB can be loaded from VR or debit card. TAmex is not a debit card.

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20611427)
Has anyone used this card to load a BB at the kiosk in WM? Did it work? What are the fees associated with it, if any? (cross-posted)

oneworld82 Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Question guys: if you wanna reload 1000 usd with 2x$500 gift cards, how do you go about (counting the loading fee)? Are they willing to split the transaction in 2? Do you load 997 usd?

thanks!