FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

rambo Apr 19, 13 7:39 pm

Yes they will split into 2. In most cases, when you swipe the first card, the system will automatically check how much you have on that card and take the entire amount.

So, you can load $997 and swipe the 2 cards or you can even load 1000, use the 2 GC and pay the $3 with a miles earning CC. :)

Originally Posted by oneworld82 (Post 20620533)
Question guys: if you wanna reload 1000 usd with 2x$500 gift cards, how do you go about (counting the loading fee)? Are they willing to split the transaction in 2? Do you load 997 usd?

thanks!

vfdfs2 Apr 19, 13 11:18 pm

I have 7 various value rebate reward cards (Symantec, Trend Micro, Newegg, etc.) with the Visa logo. Am i able to load these in the AFT card? Are the the same as GC?

rdaven2003 Apr 20, 13 8:37 am

Originally Posted by vfdfs2 (Post 20621504)
I have 7 various value rebate reward cards (Symantec, Trend Micro, Newegg, etc.) with the Visa logo. Am i able to load these in the AFT card? Are the the same as GC?

Yes

nas6034 Apr 20, 13 5:09 pm

To poster above and everyone else: Do you know if the register automatically deducts the amount available on prepaid amex/visa/mc cards or do you have to tell the clerk the amount on each card?

rdaven2003 Apr 20, 13 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20624623)
To poster above and everyone else: Do you know if the register automatically deducts the amount available on prepaid amex/visa/mc cards or do you have to tell the clerk the amount on each card?

You tell them the total of your load and then swipe as many cards as you want. I usually go there with 3-4 cards, total up the amount of the cards and subtract $3 for the load fee.

vfdfs2 Apr 21, 13 3:31 pm

Thank you for the quick answer.

Originally Posted by rdaven2003 (Post 20622591)
Yes

iahphx Apr 21, 13 5:59 pm

best credit card to use?

Does anyone know of a credit card that pays an extra bonus at Target? Some of us had hoped that the Citi Preferred card would pay the 5x grocery bonus because Visa generally classifies Target as "grocery stores," but Citi seems to have it's own non-lucrative policy.

I've been using the Club Carlson card to reload as that card seems to have the best all-around kickback (5x Carlson points, plus 2 for 1 hotel redemption). But there's only so many Carlson points I need. Target AMEX is also obviously very good for meeting minimum spends. But given the general hassle and (fairly modest) expense of "cashing out" at ATMs, I'm not sure this is the best manufactured spending opportunity in the world.

Unless, of course, somebody has figured out a good category bonus that applies.

josephstern Apr 21, 13 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20629425)
Does anyone know of a credit card that pays an extra bonus at Target? Some of us had hoped that the Citi Preferred card would pay the 5x grocery bonus because Visa generally classifies Target as "grocery stores," but Citi seems to have it's own non-lucrative policy.

I've been using the Club Carlson card to reload as that card seems to have the best all-around kickback (5x Carlson points, plus 2 for 1 hotel redemption). But there's only so many Carlson points I need. Target AMEX is also obviously very good for meeting minimum spends. But given the general hassle and (fairly modest) expense of "cashing out" at ATMs, I'm not sure this is the best manufactured spending opportunity in the world.

AFAIK, it's the merchant account of your particular store that decides how the classification works, not the card issuer. So you might try other Targets.

nep301 Apr 21, 13 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20629425)

If you have a Target that is classified as grocery store, then try using the penfed platinum rewards card since that gives 3 points per dollar.

agent0068 Apr 22, 13 8:47 am

so an update on my inability-to-do-in-store-reload situation:
i went to a different store here in NC. tried a cashier who was baffled and i tried instructing her on how to do it. no dice--she showed me that the POS was not even recognizing that a card had been swiped. so off to CS...someone who HAD reloaded these before came out and he knew just what to do...but alas, same as the cashier. absolutely NOTHING happened--no prompts, no nothing. he tried for a good while and was stumped. he said that the store USED to carry the prepaid card but no longer does and perhaps that's related...but no luck for me here in NC. :(

cliffs: YMMV on in-store reloads, but despite reports, it doesn't appear to work everywhere

theacolyte Apr 22, 13 11:28 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 20629745)
AFAIK, it's the merchant account of your particular store that decides how the classification works, not the card issuer. So you might try other Targets.

I don't think this is the case, as it can also vary by card issuer. I always use the same target, shows as grocery for Citi, and discount store for amex.

josephstern Apr 22, 13 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by theacolyte (Post 20632996)
I don't think this is the case, as it can also vary by card issuer. I always use the same target, shows as grocery for Citi, and discount store for amex.

That makes sense. The merchant accounts for accepting Amex are different from those for MC/Visa. But across all MC/Visas, they should classify the same way, and across all Amexes, the same way.

iahphx Apr 22, 13 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by nep301 (Post 20629747)
If you have a Target that is classified as grocery store, then try using the penfed platinum rewards card since that gives 3 points per dollar.

I do have the PenFed card. I guess I'll make a small purchase and see what happens.

I would think Citi would be big enough to have their own "category checker" -- especially since they're so big on this category bonus thing. They must get a lot of frustrated customers who complain about not getting the bonuses they think they're getting.

With Target, it would be easy for many of us to reload at Targets that qualified as grocery stores -- if we knew which ones they were. It's kind of hard to randomly make purchases to find out.

TheDapperDon Apr 22, 13 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20635279)
I do have the PenFed card. I guess I'll make a small purchase and see what happens.

I would think Citi would be big enough to have their own "category checker" -- especially since they're so big on this category bonus thing. They must get a lot of frustrated customers who complain about not getting the bonuses they think they're getting.

With Target, it would be easy for many of us to reload at Targets that qualified as grocery stores -- if we knew which ones they were. It's kind of hard to randomly make purchases to find out.

Go here to check on your particular location. As an fyi, some dollar generals count as grocery stores and some Kmarts count as department stores. Do with that information as you will.

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...r/NewSearch.do

iahphx Apr 22, 13 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 20635336)
Go here to check on your particular location. As an fyi, some dollar generals count as grocery stores and some Kmarts count as department stores. Do with that information as you will.

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...r/NewSearch.do

Yeah, that's the "locator" I trusted to tell me that my Target was classified as a grocery store. Unfortunately, Citi doesn't think so.