FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

iahphx Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter (Post 20432044)
When you say "bring your money", do you mean bring the previously loaded card?

Cash, debit cards, whatever you like. Citi is happy to have you pay your credit card bill in their branches.

That said, I don't think you can cash advance money off an AMEX Target card. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was discussed earlier in the thread. That's why you have to use the ATMs.

Happy Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 20424480)
I thought the "structuring" amount was 10k. I remember reading an article of a business owner depositing ~$9800/month and was hauled off to jail on suspicion of structuring.

It is act that to split the deposit amount into several deposits or just under the threshold to avoid going over $10,000 on one single transaction that causes you trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structuring

Not $10K a month that is an issue.

rambo Mar 17, 2013 7:23 am

Add Content

arsenalman Mar 17, 2013 7:29 pm

has anyone tried using the GC from Bigcrumbs on the Amex Target card?

ddallas Mar 18, 2013 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Ril Jaa (Post 20432515)
Has anyone tried to reload online via the AMEX site? If so, did you get points on your cc or did it show up as cash advance?

Where are you seeing a place to reload online with a credit card?

ddallas Mar 18, 2013 4:40 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman (Post 20437470)
has anyone tried using the GC from Bigcrumbs on the Amex Target card?

The AMEX giftcard works as long as they will let you do it in the store. The confusion comes from a splash screen that the cashier gets at the beginning of the transaction that says "No Target gift cards" sometimes they read that as "NO giftcards" Either let the cashier call a manager who hopefully knows the difference, or try another cashier. It is usually not a problem though.

iahphx Mar 18, 2013 7:52 am

Just another data point on getting ATM cash from a temporary AMEX card:

My wife bought her second card on Saturday, which we immediately registered. I tried to get her pin number the next day, but the website said it was still being verified. Today, Monday, they seem to have already issued her a permanent card, so there's no way to get a pin for the temporary card.

So, of the 4 cards we got (2 for me, 2 for my wife), we were only able to make a $400 withdrawal on one of them -- and that is with reasonable diligence. Bottomline, don't plan on being able to get your cash back on the temporary cards.

How long has it been taking AMEX to mail you the permanent cards?

arsenalman Mar 18, 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ddallas (Post 20438842)
The AMEX giftcard works as long as they will let you do it in the store. The confusion comes from a splash screen that the cashier gets at the beginning of the transaction that says "No Target gift cards" sometimes they read that as "NO giftcards" Either let the cashier call a manager who hopefully knows the difference, or try another cashier. It is usually not a problem though.

Thanks ddallas. Will try ordering one and using it. Beats having CVS charges all over my bank statement.

Superorb Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20439494)

My wife bought her second card on Saturday, which we immediately registered. I tried to get her pin number the next day, but the website said it was still being verified. Today, Monday, they seem to have already issued her a permanent card, so there's no way to get a pin for the temporary card.

So, of the 4 cards we got (2 for me, 2 for my wife), we were only able to make a $400 withdrawal on one of them -- and that is with reasonable diligence. Bottomline, don't plan on being able to get your cash back on the temporary cards.

I didn't get my permanent card for at least 7-10 days after I bought the temp card. And I had my PIN 2 days after buying the temp card and pulled the $400 out with the temp PIN.

nas6034 Mar 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 20440589)
I didn't get my permanent card for at least 701- days after I bought the temp card. And I had my PIN 2 days after buying the temp card and pulled the $400 out with the temp PIN.

You waited approximately 2 years for your permanent card? That's crazy! I hope your post was a typo.

Originally Posted by iahphx

I purchased a card on wed or thurs and got my pin w/in 2 days. The day I got my pin i withdrew the $400+atm fee and went to purchase another card. With the second card got pin the next morning and withdrew the cash that afternoon.

Superorb Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20442323)
You waited approximately 2 years for your permanent card? That's crazy! I hope your post was a typo.

Supposed to be 7-10, thanks for catching that.

nas6034 Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Received my card in 7-10 days in line with Superorb's comment.

iahphx Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20446810)
Received my card in 7-10 days in line with Superorb's comment.

Thanks. Reminds me of that Tom Petty song: the waiting is the hardest part.

Especially because I've got the cash tied up (didn't ATM in time with the temp card) on most of the accounts my wife and I opened.

Lemma Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm

posted in wrong thread

iahphx Mar 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Well, I got my permanent cards and everything works "as advertised" with the Target AMEX. Once you have a card, reload is easy at Target. But it's definitely not for everyone. You really need a fee-free ATM to make it worthwhile, and it's a PITA to constantly deal with the cash. You also need a card that gives a high rate of return (like possibility a Citi Preferred) on Target purchases. Otherwise, too much trouble, unless you have a minimum spend to meet. My wife and I each got 2 cards, but I'll be surprised if we have the fortitude to max this out each month. I think most folks who want to play this game will be happier with modest churn goals.