FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

MDWCommuter Mar 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20394749)
I'm going to try this out today:
1) Find card and ask to load $401.25 to card
2) Swipe CC and pay $404.25
3) Go to costco and in one shot withdraw $400 - $1.25 fee = no balance on card.

Anything I am missing?

I think I found a fee-free atm in an outer borough of nyc. If anyone is willing to PM me of any fee-free atm's they know of it'd be great.

Well, and then what? Are you thinking of doing this with the temp card? I don't think you'll get a PIN until you register the card at which point you might as well keep it and use it as everyone else does.

gloreglabert Mar 11, 2013 5:13 am

Haven't seen this question come up yet -- is it possible to load someone else's Target Amex if they're not there? I.e., can I bring in my wife's TA and load it using one of my own CC's? I can see some cashiers objecting to this, but in some sense, I don't see why they should care about loading to someone else's card.

ORD-TGU Mar 11, 2013 8:26 am

Last Wednesday went to load my target prepaid. Transaction went through with funding card, but the target prepaid did not load.

Just as usual, gave TPP card to cashier, gave funding card. Receipt printed out and then immediately another receipt printed out with error message. I did not get my text stating the funds had been applied. Cashier told me she could not do anything or reverse transaction, call TPP help number. But my funding card did get charged for the amount! Went back to target to try to get help or transaction reversed, they called the CS number, sent in a fax with card info, receipt, etc. The funds were manually input less than 24 hours.

It made me uneasy that CS agent for TPP mentioned this is a common problem and are aware of it. Fortunately problem was resolved quickly, it was a hassle though.

umc Mar 11, 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 20398836)
Haven't seen this question come up yet -- is it possible to load someone else's Target Amex if they're not there? I.e., can I bring in my wife's TA and load it using one of my own CC's? I can see some cashiers objecting to this, but in some sense, I don't see why they should care about loading to someone else's card.

My wife did it for me once. She used her card to load my TA card, and she had no problem with it. It all depends on the cashier.

monkey99 Mar 11, 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 20399597)
Last Wednesday went to load my target prepaid. Transaction went through with funding card, but the target prepaid did not load.

Just as usual, gave TPP card to cashier, gave funding card. Receipt printed out and then immediately another receipt printed out with error message. I did not get my text stating the funds had been applied. Cashier told me she could not do anything or reverse transaction, call TPP help number. But my funding card did get charged for the amount! Went back to target to try to get help or transaction reversed, they called the CS number, sent in a fax with card info, receipt, etc. The funds were manually input less than 24 hours.

It made me uneasy that CS agent for TPP mentioned this is a common problem and are aware of it. Fortunately problem was resolved quickly, it was a hassle though.

I had a similar experience last year. In my case Target guys were clueless but luckily for me, I had the receipts and all the error messages which are printed subsequent to the receipt. Going back to target resulted in nothing since they did not know how to process in such situations.

Several calls and 7-10 days later, with me sending scanned receipt copies to Target Amex Prepaid center they manually loaded both the cards. This happened on a Sunday morning and I was told that the system was down when I was trying to reload.

SGJazz Mar 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by monkey99 (Post 20400241)
I had a similar experience last year. In my case Target guys were clueless but luckily for me, I had the receipts and all the error messages which are printed subsequent to the receipt. Going back to target resulted in nothing since they did not know how to process in such situations.

Several calls and 7-10 days later, with me sending scanned receipt copies to Target Amex Prepaid center they manually loaded both the cards. This happened on a Sunday morning and I was told that the system was down when I was trying to reload.

Interesting data point about the off hour load. Anyone else made this observation?

nas6034 Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Has anyone been able to succesfully withdraw money with the temporary amex at a mcdonals atm in nyc? What about a permanent card? When i tried to wd 400 it said choosealower amount so i didnt try. I didnt see a wd limit on the atm.

tonyflyer Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm

I had the same load problem several weeks ago, I was loading two cards during regular business hours, one was loaded without problem, the other loaded ok at the cashier but no fund went into the AFT.

So the problem can happen any time, not just limit to off hour.

Originally Posted by SGJazz (Post 20401064)
Interesting data point about the off hour load. Anyone else made this observation?

Superorb Mar 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by pyrotalk (Post 20393787)
I am afraid to load this with multiple visa/mc gc specially since cashier needs to get the security pin for each card. Some people here are gutsy. I am curious about those registers that lets you swipe it without asking for pins.. Which state did it happen? anything peculiar with them?

What made you think the cashier needs a security PIN for each card? AFAIK the gift cards don't even have PINs. All they've ever asked from me was the last 4 digits of the card number and even then not every store does this.

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter (Post 20396395)
Well, and then what? Are you thinking of doing this with the temp card? I don't think you'll get a PIN until you register the card at which point you might as well keep it and use it as everyone else does.

You can get the PIN online once your info has been verified.

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 20398836)

They never ask me for ID so this shouldn't be a problem.

Superorb Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 (Post 20401569)
Has anyone been able to succesfully withdraw money with the temporary amex at a mcdonals atm in nyc? What about a permanent card? When i tried to wd 400 it said choosealower amount so i didnt try. I didnt see a wd limit on the atm.

I believe the McDonald's ATMs have a limit of $200. So either do $200/month, pay for more withdrawals, or find another ATM.

iahphx Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm

So I drove 11 miles today to a store that -- according to the AMEX Target website -- was supposed to have the cards to buy. The store management nicely told me they've never sold them (but that a guy comes in regularly to refill his card!). So I'm guessing there's no rhyme or reason to actually finding the cards. I'm thinking of calling around to various stores and asking, but I'm afraid it will be difficult to get an accurate answer, especially since there are similar-looking Target AMEX gift cards. I guess if I insist that they find a Target AMEX card that says "prepaid" on it, maybe I can save myself some trouble. I wish it were like BB and I could just order the card online and have it mailed to me. On a positive note, it doesn't look like it would be hard to refill!

BTW, are all AMEX prepaid/gift cards by the registers? There's nowhere else I need to look, right?

PainCorp Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20402041)
BTW, are all AMEX prepaid/gift cards by the registers? There's nowhere else I need to look, right?

The first one I got it from had to bring it out from the back, but I got my second today and they were by the registers again.

pyrotalk Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

faxed target receipt to [414-341-7492] and call amex target cs later to make sure they received the fax. CS confirmed it and able to manually credit my account. So make sure you call again after you fax
Per sparkzone, do not approach CS desk. They dont have a clue and you will kill the deal with gc funding.. Again repeat after me.

member7777 Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by pyrotalk (Post 20403084)
Per sparkzone, do not approach CS desk. They dont have a clue and you will kill the deal with gc funding.. Again repeat after me.

Hey 28 post newbie....you might want to get some seasoning before believing your source...

PainCorp Mar 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by member7777 (Post 20403328)
Hey 28 post newbie....you might want to get some seasoning before believing your source...

Look at his join date though....granted his post is a little out of context, going by the partial post he quoted.