Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jldong
Hi, below is what in my account, under Account and Card when we add new card in:
You can see 2500/month limit, I am not sure why I have this high limit,
some background: I openned my acc in Aug 2011, never use after that,
just load $9 to my account from my Chase Sapphire, no load fee from Serve, no cash advance from Chase, so it seems Serve will be a better option to cash out CC spending than AP for me.

Currently you can...
Send & Receive up to$2500 / Mo
Receive up to $1000 per day, up to $2500 / Mo
Send up to $1000 per day, up to $2500 Max
Make purchases with your Serve card
Withdraw funds via transfer to your bank account, participating ATMs or request a check
Create subaccounts
I have these same limits with a similar back story. I'm still trying to figure out how to fly under the radar while maxing out the $2500/month
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by jldong
... a sender is limited to sending up to $1,000 a day (up to $2,500 per calendar month).

How much money can I add, send, or request each month?
You can add up to $100 per day via credit card or debit card (there is a monthly debit card load limit of $1,000 and a monthly credit card load limit of $250). You may add up to $2,500 to your Serve account per month, depending on your account limits.

https://www.serve.com/help/#/addings...equestingmoney
Do I understand this correctly. I can send up to $2500 per month but only $250 of that can be
from a credit card? There is no other work around for that $250?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

Does everyone know about this offer already?
Get a $25 statement credit when you sign up for a new Serve account and use your card for one purchase of $50 or more through August 31, 2012.*
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I saw that. What if you had a Serve account several months ago but haven't used your card yet? What if you signed up recently but didn't use the signup link tied to the $25 credit? Do you still get the credit? (If you know.)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I saw that. What if you had a Serve account several months ago but haven't used your card yet? What if you signed up recently but didn't use the signup link tied to the $25 credit? Do you still get the credit? (If you know.)
I just ordered mine last week and did not use this offer link. I am going to ask about adding the offer when I activate. Lets see.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi I have just ordered my Serve card and received it last week. I saw different discussion about loading it with CC without any cash advance. Just wonder what's everyone's experience with this. Serve still doesn't charge any fee and it won't be treated as cash advance by loading the card up with CC? Thanks for any help
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi I have just ordered my Serve card and received it last week. I saw different discussion about loading it with CC without any cash advance. Just wonder what's everyone's experience with this. Serve still doesn't charge any fee and it won't be treated as cash advance by loading the card up with CC? Thanks for any help
I read different posts and I also looked into my account and it has the same limit as other stated. I also called Serve and they confirmed there's no fee to add funds from credit card except they said the $2500 is a combined restriction so I can only send and receive $2500 total every month, which got me confused

Is what the rep described what everyone is experiencing?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My experience is that there is a limit of $250 per month from a credit card (max $100/day) and $1000 from a debit card (max $200/day). I have used a few different credit cards and none have showed as a cash advance.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by redtop43
My experience is that there is a limit of $250 per month from a credit card (max $100/day) and $1000 from a debit card (max $200/day). I have used a few different credit cards and none have showed as a cash advance.
Are those stackable (ie can you load $250 CC and $1k debit for $1250 ttl/mo)?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:07 am

Smile $25 statement credit for a new Serve account & use your card for one purchase of $50+

Get a $25 statement credit when you sign up for a new Serve account and use your card for one purchase of $50 or more through August 31, 2012.

https://www.serve.com/spend_b/

What is Serve?
Serve is a digital prepaid account designed for anyone that gives you a safe way to pay in stores, online, and mobile. You can also send and request money on Facebook.

Serve is from American Express
Get a Serve prepaid card to use everywhere American Express® Cards are accepted in the U.S. and feel confident your information is secure.

Get the app
Download the mobile app for iPhone®, Android™, and Windows® Phone to move money on the go, easily split the bill, or pay a friend back.

Security
Serve uses advanced technology from American Express to keep your information and transactions safe and secure.

Serve’s Facebook app
Serve’s Facebook App is the only way to send and request money on Facebook. So you can get your friends to pay you back without ever leaving
Facebook.

Link your bank account or card
You can fund your account with a bank account, American Express® Card , Discover, MasterCard, or Visa card.**

Using the Serve card at ATMs
Use the card to get cash at ATMs. Serve will waive its $2 fee for your first withdrawal each month. ATM owner fees may apply.

Additional features
Create subaccounts for family and friends, use widgets to sell items online, and get paid back for group purchases over email.

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:16 am Reason: Remove extraneous details from link
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, UA/CO, DL
Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:20 pm

Previously i could add prepaid gift cards (both visa/amex) to laod my serve account. I tried this again last week and it bombed out. Wont let me add a prepaid visa or prepaid mastercard to my account although they are registered to my name and addy?

Anybody having different experience , didnt try amex prepaid ?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:08 pm

I could also not use a prepaid card. I tried to use my prepaid PenFed Platinum Rewards prepaid card without success. It kept saying 'Security code does not match card'. Hmmm, well, I am looking right at it and it seems to match
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by greek2me
Are those stackable (ie can you load $250 CC and $1k debit for $1250 ttl/mo)?
works!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:26 pm

try just now, cannot load giftcard, master card, purchased from tom thom, it said "address not match", does serve block this giftcard load? can them tell difference by card number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.