Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VENMO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Just got this email. Does this mean we could earn miles for Debit Cards?

"We recently launched free bank payments, but a lot of users found setting this up a little difficult. So we just added a new way to pay on Venmo for free:

Just add your debit card to make free payments on Venmo!

How do I add a debit card?
If you're on the web, simply go here and click "Cards and Banks". Add your debit card and make it your Funding Source. If you're on the mobile app, just go to "My Profile" and click "Banks and Cards". Add your debit card and make it your Funding Source.

See all the ways you can use Venmo with friends: ";The Payment Anthem".
Have any questions? Check out our Help Center or hit us up at [email protected].

Love,
Team Venmo "
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jclay1212
Just got this email. Does this mean we could earn miles for Debit Cards?
Nice ^ I'm thinking SunTrust
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:46 am

Date Point

If you are thinking about adding your Amex prepaid card from OD, it will go in as a credit card, not a debit card. The system automatically picks it up. I figured it would, but wanted to check it out anyway.

As another date point, Cap 1 gives you 20 miles per debit card transaction...if you were to send $10 every day through Venmo to your friend, you would get 73K miles/points...or $5 and get 146K....146k equals $1460 in travel....unfortunately, I am banned from cap 1...but maybe i'll try another branch.

Edit: As was pointed out by greek2me (thank you!), i was a little too excited on my math. A transaction a day would get you 7300 miles/points a year (365x20). So, seems like the ideal thing would be to have 5 friends that you send money to on a daily basis

Last edited by Mrgolfer21; Jul 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Nice ^ I'm thinking SunTrust
Just what I was thinking too!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
As another date point, Cap 1 gives you 20 miles per debit card transaction...if you were to send $10 every day through Venmo to your friend, you would get 73K miles/points...or $5 and get 146K....146k equals $1460 in travel....unfortunately, I am banned from cap 1...but maybe i'll try another branch.
I like the way you think ^.
But you may have gotten too excited as 73000/365 is 200 miles per day, so would take 10 Venmo transactions per day to get there at 20 miles per trans and 20 a day to get 146k in a yr.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:31 am

i hope they don't code this as a cash advance or something related. I know when you send money via a debit card with western union or money gram, you don't get any miles.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:53 am

You all do see that monthly limits on Venmo with a debit card is capped at $2k/month, right?

"Whether you select to pay with a debit or credit card (or both), you may not spend more than $2,000 per calendar month in card transactions."

https://help.venmo.com/customer/portal/articles/429501

Yes, the ST card would work perfect for this as you earn miles on PIN based transactions as well.

Heck.. between this and Amazon Payments, that's an extra $3k/month. I'm not crying.

Unless.. you make multiple Venmo user accounts and have more than one ST Skymiles debit card?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:49 am

Curse you 3 total card limit!

VENMO I love hating you.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by Stubtify
Curse you 3 total card limit!
3 is not set in stone...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:47 am

I didn't have to give a pin to add my debit card so I'm thinking this won't work with ST.

Originally Posted by junglesmacks
You all do see that monthly limits on Venmo with a debit card is capped at $2k/month, right?

"Whether you select to pay with a debit or credit card (or both), you may not spend more than $2,000 per calendar month in card transactions."

https://help.venmo.com/customer/portal/articles/429501

Yes, the ST card would work perfect for this as you earn miles on PIN based transactions as well.

Heck.. between this and Amazon Payments, that's an extra $3k/month. I'm not crying.

Unless.. you make multiple Venmo user accounts and have more than one ST Skymiles debit card?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

It's a debit card so why wouldn't it work? Also, I don't know of any site where you are able/required to enter a pin number to use a debit card. This is for in person transactions only.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Anyone having experience with a BofA debit card - whether it will post as a cash advance ?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Anyone having experience with a BofA debit card - whether it will post as a cash advance ?
How could it be a cash advance if you're paying with your own money? It's a debit card. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by highgear
It's a debit carded so why wouldn't it work? Also, I don't know of any site where you are able/required to enter a pin number to use a debit card. This is for in person transactions only.
And I learn something new today. Sweet!!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I believe in order to earn points on your debit card the Terms and Conditions state that it must be a "signature transaction" I.E. if you were at the supermarket it would be a credit transaction, same thing with VENMO...so this would not work. Also, if it is a pin based transaction then it would charge you a dollar for each transaction. I.E. $365 to earn 7k in Skypeso's(If you could earn them)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.