Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VENMO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Uirseita
I just successfully added a $500 Metabank VGC into my Venmo account as normal. However, when I tried to transfer money from this card to my friend, an error "transaction declined" popped up. I tried different recipients and a smaller amount, neither succeed.

The balance of VGC is still $500 on the website.

Does anyone have same experience?
Same issue here.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Same issue here.
Never seen this before since I was no longer able to add any of the usual GCs that I was able to in the past - so I thought it was just impossible. Not sure what to tell you - looks like you got lucky adding it, but there's still a system catch to prevent you from sending it... Idk.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Uirseita
I just successfully added a $500 Metabank VGC into my Venmo account as normal. However, when I tried to transfer money from this card to my friend, an error "transaction declined" popped up. I tried different recipients and a smaller amount, neither succeed.

The balance of VGC is still $500 on the website.

Does anyone have same experience?

I just did today and it says transaction declined as well.

I know I wasn't able to use my MC Gift card a few days ago, but I thought it was just because it was MC.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:28 pm

Can you still use Simon VGCs to unload onto Venmo?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
I just did today and it says transaction declined as well.

I know I wasn't able to use my MC Gift card a few days ago, but I thought it was just because it was MC.
Same situation here with Metabank GCs - MCGC will not add to the account. VGC will add but when trying to send funds, popup with transaction declined. Darn!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:15 pm

I need to meet sign up bonus from chase ink cash and preferred. Can I use those cards in venmo to send money to my wife venmo. and then withdraw back to bank account. I know there is 3% fee. Im traveling overseas so i cannot use gift cards method in the US.

thanks guys
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Tam Tran
I need to meet sign up bonus from chase ink cash and preferred. Can I use those cards in venmo to send money to my wife venmo. and then withdraw back to bank account. I know there is 3% fee. Im traveling overseas so i cannot use gift cards method in the US.

thanks guys
Numerous DPs available that Venmo will shut down accounts that do this sort of behavior, and apparently they do it quickly.

I belive that this information is actually in this thread if you search for it.

Finally, I don't know about you, but I actually value Venmo far more than the small amount of MS that I can achieve before being banned from it (and so far, I have not seen DPs from a banned person getting back on the good graces of PP (who owns Venmo). And PP is a PIA when they want to be
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Can i still do venmo to send money to my wife. I have CIP, CSR, alaska air that need to meet sign up bonus?

compare to paypal. Which is safer?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Tam Tran
Can i still do venmo to send money to my wife. I have CIP, CSR, alaska air that need to meet sign up bonus?

compare to paypal. Which is safer?
I was hoping someone else would answer this before me

You can use Venmo to send money to anyone you wish, as long as they are on your list of approved payees. I use Venmo to send money to my kids, and they pay me on a routine basis into my account. However, my account is attached to a bank checking account and all funding (either in or out) goes through it if there is not enough money in my Venmo account to fund a payment.

However, I think that you are asking whether you can send money to your wife using a CC. The answer is yes, as long as you are willing to pay the fees to both your CC company for using it to obtain cash (for which they will charge you between 27-37% interest rate from the moment you get the money sent to your SO) as well as any fees attached to making the transfer. Then you need to add Venmo's fees for using a CC for payment, which they will happily do for a 3% fee on the money you use to make the transfer. I would highly suggest that you carefully read both your CC T&Cs including fees for using your CC to get a cash advance as well as Venmo's fees for using a credit card to transfer money.

My suggestion to you is, if you need to go the route of using a cash advance on your credit card, that you get the cash advance as a stand alone event and then take the money you received from the credit card company and deposit it into Venmo prior to making the transfer to your wife. That way, you will avoid Venmo's fees for making a payment using a credit card.
However, I would not make a habit of doing this, not because of the ridiculous fees involved, but because Venmo does not like people playing games with them and has a nasty habit of shutting down accounts for such behavior as described above if done too many times in a short period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.