Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by chaloop
And with reading the post above, it says combined sending and receiving limit, so I cant send $1,000 and also receive $1,000. Because that would combine to $2,000, correct?
The word "and" is the key. You can send "and" receive >$1000/month. I'd suggest reading the first few pages of this thread.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by chaloop
Dad to Go......I think I might be looking at the wrong account type in trying to figure this all out. Can you tell if I understand this whole correctly? So I'm waiting for deposits to hit my account to verify. Once i do that, I'm ready to roll. And my boyfriend is setting up his account too. So I can send him money, up to $1,000 a month from my aa cc, he will receive it and withdraw it into his checking account assoc with his amazon account. And the same for my bf, he can send me money with his card, I withdraw that money into my checking. That simple, correct. Do I select "good and service". Or does it matter?
If you send your bf $1000 every month and he sends you $1000 every month, you will likely get shut down.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:37 pm

Hey guys, I have a question. Can I use my gf's amazon payments account to charge on my credit card? Basically it means her name on ap account but my name on the funding credit card and send to someone else. Is that OK?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My wife and I use our credit cards interchangably on our respective AP accounts. I don't think you will have a problem.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:47 pm
Suspended

What's the limit to avoid IRS tax form? 20 transactions a year( send or receive) regardless of the amount? or 20k a year regardless of the number of transaction?
I know the send, receive without fee is 1k a month.

thanks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
My wife and I use our credit cards interchangably on our respective AP accounts. I don't think you will have a problem.
Thanks! sry just one more question, what name you put there on billing address when add a new card, cardholder's or ap's?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by emptiness
What's the limit to avoid IRS tax form? 20 transactions a year( send or receive) regardless of the amount? or 20k a year regardless of the number of transaction?
I know the send, receive without fee is 1k a month.

thanks
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:00 am

same credit card for both accounts?

Hey guys,

I just sent a payment from my amazon payments account to my brother's and spent about $1k. I need to spend another $1k to reach the spend amount for the same card. would it be alright if I loaded the same card into my bro's account, and send it back to mine? What if I send it from my bro's to another person?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:03 am
umc

Originally Posted by beefsalami
Hey guys,

I just sent a payment from my amazon payments account to my brother's and spent about $1k. I need to spend another $1k to reach the spend amount for the same card. would it be alright if I loaded the same card into my bro's account, and send it back to mine? What if I send it from my bro's to another person?
Terrible idea unless you want to be shut down.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:54 am

i sent 2 $300 payments to a Recipient A (over 2 days). Then I tried a 3rd $300 payment to Recipient A and it was not allowed. Tried a lower $200 amount to Recipient A and it was Pending.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Tis the season to receive gift cards - to that end I know that AP seems to work with giftcardmall GCs but any idea if myvanilla or onevanilla from OD's work? PMs would be fine too
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
i sent 2 $300 payments to a Recipient A (over 2 days). Then I tried a 3rd $300 payment to Recipient A and it was not allowed. Tried a lower $200 amount to Recipient A and it was Pending.
In general its best to avoid any repetitive patterns
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by IAkH
Be warned guys, just got this today:

I didn't do anything new. Been doing the same transactions for over a year now and its been a week since I used this account, so it doesn't seem like anything in particular triggered this action.
I got this same thing a few months ago. If you truly did not sign up for Webpay (i didn't sign either), then I would write them and tell them you have no idea what they are talking about and state that you do not have a Webpay account. Furthermore, if they truly believe that you have a Webpay account that you would like to know the details of the account in reference as if one exists, it may have been opened fraudulently. This is what i said to them (all true, since I had no idea what Webpay was nor had i ever signed up, so i was worried somebody had hacked my Amazon account). 24 hours later they had written back and confirmed I indeed did not have a Webpay account and my accounts were reinstated.

Now, if you did open a Webpay account....i can't help you there.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAkH
Be warned guys, just got this today:

I didn't do anything new. Been doing the same transactions for over a year now and its been a week since I used this account, so it doesn't seem like anything in particular triggered this action.
Did you add a new credit card?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by living
In general its best to avoid any repetitive patterns
i just checked and surprisingly it went through. gave me a small scare when it said pending. now i need to fly even lower under the radar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.