Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:01 am

Usually my CC deposit got completed instantaneously, but yesterday it got a pending message after I used a CC with a wrong name. This morning it shows completed. However, I checked my CC activity and there is no pending activity there. Prior to this one it always post the pending charge from AP to my CC right away. Anyone know what's happening here?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Is it just me, or are AZ accounts getting blocked/limited (can't send payments) after a while if you do not enter SSN?

And has anyone recently created a new working AZ account without giving SSN? Previously SSN was optional, but now it keeps prompting me to enter personal details!
Yes, since a few weeks ago, Amazon Payments no longer allows new accounts to be created without an SSN and DOB. Also, after Dec 31, accounts without SSN/DOB info will be restricted from sending and receiving funds.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
Yes, since a few weeks ago, Amazon Payments no longer allows new accounts to be created without an SSN and DOB. Also, after Dec 31, accounts without SSN/DOB info will be restricted from sending and receiving funds.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just thinking of starting with Amazon payments. Guess I gotta recruit a family member to partner with.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:08 pm

I just read the "fees" page on the amazon website, it states that sending money is free, but it looks like you pay a fee to receive money? And it also stated that for a personal account the monthy limit was $500. Can someone confirm these details or inform me that I am missing the boat somewhere? Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:30 pm
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by wcj
You mixed your accounts and used a CC with the wrong name? I see ADKs buddies in your future. I'd take a hard look at what you have exposed and remove anything loose before Monday myself. Could be wrong, but betting you get a visit.
What are ADKs buddies...?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
What are ADKs buddies...?
ADK = Aloha Dave Kennedy, one of our members here who is well versed in the dark arts of financial institutions, including financial reviews by, as he calls them, the Cardinals.

Let me offer some friendly advice. You've had some issues with the US Airways card and now this. Before you get yourself into any deeper issues, stop, get familiar with these devices, and quit trying to rack up a bunch of miles before you know what you're doing. You screw up now, you may not be able to get back into the miles game with credit cards for another ten years.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
ADK = Aloha Dave Kennedy, one of our members here who is well versed in the dark arts of financial institutions, including financial reviews by, as he calls them, the Cardinals.

Let me offer some friendly advice. You've had some issues with the US Airways card and now this. Before you get yourself into any deeper issues, stop, get familiar with these devices, and quit trying to rack up a bunch of miles before you know what you're doing. You screw up now, you may not be able to get back into the miles game with credit cards for another ten years.
I see. Thanks for the info and advice!

However, I don't see much of an issue here (pls correct me if I'm wrong). All I'm trying to do here is sending money among multiple AP accounts to meet minimum spending requirements. Will CC companies have any problem with this? Won't the worst case be AP shutting me down?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
I see. Thanks for the info and advice!

However, I don't see much of an issue here (pls correct me if I'm wrong). All I'm trying to do here is sending money among multiple AP accounts to meet minimum spending requirements. Will CC companies have any problem with this? Won't the worst case be AP shutting me down?
I'm not well versed in the CC scene, however, I take the message above as stop and read and re read and re read, since you have had troubles with 2 routes at this point.

If a CC shuts you down, it could affect your credit and if that co. has multiple accounts (such as Chase, Amex, etc) you may be ban for years to come.

Avoid troubles as much as possible. From reading multiple threads, it appears many times, those with troubles are those pushing the limits and trying to use the miles games with limited knowledge or testing waters without care.

It's really your choice, but that was just a piece of advice that FT member was giving you.

IMHO, I think it's better to move slow and learn along the way.^
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:20 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by chaloop
I just read the "fees" page on the amazon website, it states that sending money is free, but it looks like you pay a fee to receive money? And it also stated that for a personal account the monthy limit was $500. Can someone confirm these details or inform me that I am missing the boat somewhere? Thanks
I think you missed the boat somewhere because I transfer and receive $1000 every month and have never once paid a fee. Maybe you are looking at fees associated with another type of transaction type?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
B of H work as a purchase?

Anyone used a B of H (Bank of Hawaii) card with success? I searched and couldn't find a reference.

I just received my first B of H card and I'm ready to use it. Since B of A works I'm guessing this one will too ( I think they both use FIA back end). Just looking for empirical evidence.

Thanks & aloha!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Be warned guys, just got this today:

Greetings from Amazon Payments.

We are writing because it has come to our attention that you have opened multiple accounts.

Amazon WebPay has a combined sending and receiving limit of $1000 per month per user. Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed.

All pending transactions have been canceled and your Amazon Payments accounts closed.

We appreciate your compliance with this matter and thank you for your interest in Amazon Payments.

Sincerely,
I didn't do anything new. Been doing the same transactions for over a year now and its been a week since I used this account, so it doesn't seem like anything in particular triggered this action.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:56 pm

Dad to Go......I think I might be looking at the wrong account type in trying to figure this all out. Can you tell if I understand this whole correctly? So I'm waiting for deposits to hit my account to verify. Once i do that, I'm ready to roll. And my boyfriend is setting up his account too. So I can send him money, up to $1,000 a month from my aa cc, he will receive it and withdraw it into his checking account assoc with his amazon account. And the same for my bf, he can send me money with his card, I withdraw that money into my checking. That simple, correct. Do I select "good and service". Or does it matter?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:59 pm

And with reading the post above, it says combined sending and receiving limit, so I cant send $1,000 and also receive $1,000. Because that would combine to $2,000, correct?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.