Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
My discover statement just closed and I did receive the 5% cashback on my amazon payments, so it is definitely an eligible purchase.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My discover statement just closed and I did receive the 5% cashback on my amazon payments, so it is definitely an eligible purchase.
Yesss! thanks!

I would add that Freedom didn't work for me. (Coded as a 1% cb.) Oh well.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by KennyS2006
Yesss! thanks!

I would add that Freedom didn't work for me. (Coded as a 1% cb.) Oh well.
Yeppp, Chase didn't work for me either!!! $2K spent on Chase Freedom, complete waste! Should have used Discover to get $100!!!!!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 pm

It is the 1st of the month, and I have this vague feeling that something is missing in my life....
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
It is the 1st of the month, and I have this vague feeling that something is missing in my life....
hehehe best quote yet.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Ain't that the truth
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I have about twelve thousand things missing in my life. And I miss them real bad.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Northwest, United
It would be really interesting to see a comparison of Amazon's AP volume for November versus previous months.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:08 pm

Amazon Payments

Normally when something dies I put a card in my sock drawer or the shredder. I need closure.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:42 pm

Question

one usage AP was fulfilling for me was getting x # transactions on a card per month, which is common for some checking accounts. could someone give me a suggestion of what to use now instead for that? AP was nice, because i didn't have a loss. before using AP for this, i would use purchase a series of small amazon GC, which i could later use. i could go back to that unless someone has a suggestion for many small transactions (quick to do)? thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by matthewak
one usage AP was fulfilling for me was getting x # transactions on a card per month, which is common for some checking accounts. could someone give me a suggestion of what to use now instead for that? AP was nice, because i didn't have a loss. before using AP for this, i would use purchase a series of small amazon GC, which i could later use. i could go back to that unless someone has a suggestion for many small transactions (quick to do)? thanks!
that is probably the easiest

2nd easiest would be multiple gas transactions, buy separate grocery items at self checkout, etc.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by matthewak
Load serve with small amounts of money repeatedly.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by cyclotron
Load serve with small amounts of money repeatedly.
thanks for that suggestion! i hadn't tried the debit load feature on the BB site yet. i guess if i were previously to add a bunch of prepaids, then BB would flag the account. it should work fine if i just add a card to do the monthly transactions.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
hey everybody , i had a dream last night...the dream was about amazon payments, it was resurrected and you can liquidate per calendar month 10K. i just was to know if anyone had the same dream as me last night.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by MasterCharge
hey everybody , i had a dream last night...the dream was about amazon payments, it was resurrected and you can liquidate per calendar month 10K. i just was to know if anyone had the same dream as me last night.
I did. And then I did promptly washed my sheets.
SuperKirby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.