FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

Dad to GO Oct 26, 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 19568664)
I'm using Amazon payments to cash out gift cards from FAR software deals. Will adding too many cards in a short time (e.g. 20 added cards in a month) raise a flag? Has anyone had situations whereby they got shutdown for adding too many cards?

I'm still keeping below the limit of $1k and spend about $700-800 each month.

Really? Adding 20 cards? That is just asking to get attention brought to yourself which is what you DO NOT want to happen. I would definitely try and utilize a better place to spend them. You could sell some of them online as well. You'll only lose a small % on it but will be able to keep your Amazon account from looking suspicious.

greek2me Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO (Post 19570619)
Really? Adding 20 cards? That is just asking to get attention brought to yourself which is what you DO NOT want to happen. I would definitely try and utilize a better place to spend them. You could sell some of them online as well. You'll only lose a small % on it but will be able to keep your Amazon account from looking suspicious.

+1. Do not do it via AP. Use one of other methods mentioned in thread.

Rommie2k6 Oct 27, 2012 6:50 am

Originally Posted by greek2me (Post 19572213)
+1. Do not do it via AP. Use one of other methods mentioned in thread.

Which method? Can you please provide some keyword so that I can start searching?
EDIT: If you are referring to going to the bank to get a "cash advance" on those cards, I've tried it before and they won't work.

johndoe123 Oct 27, 2012 7:03 am

My personal preference for low value rebate cards is to just use them in a gas station for face value to fill up a vehicle

If you must have cash, I've seen people just eat the two percent and run them through sqaure.

Rommie2k6 Oct 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 19569957)
Or go to the branch of the bank that issues the card(s) and see if they'll cash-advance all the funds out for you. Citi for example is particularly good about this for their gift cards. General rule is the card should have your name on it, and the card should be of the type where the numbers are embossed (raised, rather than flat on the card).

When did this work? I tried at 2 different banks today, and the cash-advance failed. I've been googling this option, and it seems that it was only working in 2010-2011 and before...

Stoughton Oct 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 19574648)
Which method? Can you please provide some keyword so that I can start searching?
EDIT: If you are referring to going to the bank to get a "cash advance" on those cards, I've tried it before and they won't work.

As suggested - gas station, grocery store, etc. Just use them for normal spending.

ddallas Oct 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 19574703)
My personal preference for low value rebate cards is to just use them in a gas station for face value to fill up a vehicle

If you must have cash, I've seen people just eat the two percent and run them through sqaure.

+1
Use them for everyday spend. Or if you have a lot stacked up and want cash you can run them through Square until they close your account.

AlohaDaveKennedy Oct 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Indirectly - ME CC > VISA BUXX > MO

Originally Posted by irishjames23 (Post 19569175)
Could anyone please help me out with the wheres and hows that you are buying MO with miles earning cards. I am willing to research and read threads if you could steer me on the right direction.

thanks

QL_714 Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 19577101)
Indirectly - ME CC > VISA BUXX > MO

How about the direct method? :p

Rommie2k6 Oct 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Seriously guys, asking people to spend their FAR prepaid card is NOT helpful advice. I can't track these expenses using quicken, I lose my cashback, and it will probably take 6mth to spend that much. There's a reason why we look for ways to meet minimum spend without spending money...

AlohaDaveKennedy Oct 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Don't do CC MO buys directly. My mileage earning CCs mostly Bungle in the Jungle, bring in the BUXX, or finance assorted CIA activities.:D

Originally Posted by QL_714 (Post 19578160)
How about the direct method? :p

johndoe123 Oct 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 19578229)
Seriously guys, asking people to spend their FAR prepaid card is NOT helpful advice. I can't track these expenses using quicken, I lose my cashback, and it will probably take 6mth to spend that much. There's a reason why we look for ways to meet minimum spend without spending money...

If its staples next time request the check...

See the bluebird thread and go buy a refill card with a pile of them...

Or go buy a single combined gas card with the balance of them and leave it in your glovebox.

gloreglabert Oct 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 19578373)
If its staples next time request the check...

See the bluebird thread and go buy a refill card with a pile of them...

Or go buy a single combined gas card with the balance of them and leave it in your glovebox.

I, like several others, have a stack of $100 MC debits from the recent Staples rebate (which was for the prepaids themselves, hence no check). These cards are a pain because they can't be used with Serve, and people are advising against the jungle. Any tips via PM for cashing out would be appreciated.

tearex Oct 28, 2012 12:10 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 19578438)
I, like several others, have a stack of $100 MC debits from the recent Staples rebate (which was for the prepaids themselves, hence no check). These cards are a pain because they can't be used with Serve, and people are advising against the jungle. Any tips via PM for cashing out would be appreciated.

This is going around in circles.

Ask for advice - advice given - advice not liked - ask for advice

xp0 Oct 28, 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 19578438)

Most divers take swimming lessons before climbing the ladder to do a 30m jump. You do not want to enter the water unprepared or you might drown. People are throwing you a floatation device and by the sounds of it, you might want to grab on.