Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm not sure if there have been recent reports, but I recall reading a couple reports on flyertalk that some folks who used Evolve Money but did not totally drain their gift cards have had money stolen. I'm a bit sensitive to this because I have been a victim of the Target X-mas security breach, where somebody got ahold of my Target prepaid debit card number and pin, made a duplicate card, and drained my balance. So I try to use Evolve only when I'm going to completely drain a card. I think Amazon is "safer."
Where did you read this? I have heard people saying they heard about it but I have not read anything yet. I haven't seen any reports on the Evolve Money thread on here.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Where did you read this? I have heard people saying they heard about it but I have not read anything yet. I haven't seen any reports on the Evolve Money thread on here.
IIRC. Someone made a separate thread in the sub-forum.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by f0xx
IIRC. Someone made a separate thread in the sub-forum.
Thanks. I will do some searching b/c I am curious about this.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
I don't think we're going to be of any help to you. I think you're going to have to contact AP to see where your money is and if you can get access to it via that account.
So I think the issue was with adding AU cards and having a different billing address. I called and the account needs to be verified.

I had a 2nd account with an AU card of mine and the same thing happened. This time with sending money out. With this account, the transaction failed so there was no transfer/charge.

I thought this would be the simplest method. Anyone have luck with using AU cards in other's accounts? What do you put as the billing address? Your own?
Old May 20, 2014, 5:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thoughts1053
So I think the issue was with adding AU cards and having a different billing address. I called and the account needs to be verified.

I had a 2nd account with an AU card of mine and the same thing happened. This time with sending money out. With this account, the transaction failed so there was no transfer/charge.

I thought this would be the simplest method. Anyone have luck with using AU cards in other's accounts? What do you put as the billing address? Your own?
Understandable. I just wouldn't use AU cards anymore. Not necessary to get involved multiple parties like that and have their eyes on your account. I don't use AU cards personally for any of my accounts.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
do you issue AP transactions at night? i noticed if you issue AP transactions say 9PM PST or later it can be delayed until the next morning. If you do the transaction during normal "business" hours then the transaction goes through almost immediately.
Last month I had orders from late morning and early evening pend for hours. This month, same routine, all went through within a minute.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:25 pm

Question....if you get shut down by AP, willl you lose access to your Amazon account to make purchases and so forth?

I use Amazon for almost all my purchases so would hate to lose access to my account.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by jorge18
Question....if you get shut down by AP, willl you lose access to your Amazon account to make purchases and so forth?

I use Amazon for almost all my purchases so would hate to lose access to my account.
IME, no problem. But if you don't like the risk, just have two separate accounts.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:04 pm

Is there a number to call for Amazon Payments? I go to contact us and have called the number / done the chat, but I speak with a representative saying they need to confirm my account. I give them the address and they say they'll get back to me in 24 hours.

I've contacted them 3 times since Monday and still no response.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jorge18

don't think so..

Amazon would never lose you as a customer ))
Old May 23, 2014, 5:58 am

I have 3 of my 10 family accounts shut down this morning. Had most accounts open for years. For this year, I have been always logging in from different IP address for each.

Possible triggers?

1. Did an AP to one of the closed accounts yesterday. (from one of the accounts which hasn't been shut down yet.)
2. The closed account receiving the payment yesterday pays each month to one of the other ones which have been shut down.
3. Each of the three accounts had a balance in them of between $890 to $995. (Which I have 10 days to withdraw. One just accumulated the balance yesterday when receiving the payment.)
4. Two of the accounts were my own, with the same SSN set up earlier back when we could do that. Neither of these were the one which received the payment yesterday.
5. The other account was registered under different last name than the individuals current name. (Changed name at marriage.)
6. Starting this year I have been doing AGC, prior to that it was always CC. (Though the closed acct receiving payment yesterday was from a CC.)
7. I switched my normal pattern across the 10 accounts last month but I don't think I did any A-B where there was a previous B-A.

So, not sure what did it.

Thinking if they are smart, I will probably get them all closed if they follow the trail A-B, B-C etc.

Deciding whether I should do AP on the live accounts this month (if they stay open), or if I should let them lay for a while. Not sure if the change in pattern would cause a flag or not. Thinking at this point to let them lay, since the closure occurred within a day of receiving payment.

FYI, all closure emails came in at the same time, 3:46AM.

Last edited by FlyingBoat; May 23, 2014 at 6:09 am
Old May 23, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I have 3 of my 10 family accounts shut down this morning. Had most accounts open for years. For this year, I have been always logging in from different IP address for each.

Possible triggers?

1. Did an AP to one of the closed accounts yesterday. (from one of the accounts which hasn't been shut down yet.)
2. The closed account receiving the payment yesterday pays each month to one of the other ones which have been shut down.
3. Each of the three accounts had a balance in them of between $890 to $995. (Which I have 10 days to withdraw. One just accumulated the balance yesterday when receiving the payment.)
4. Two of the accounts were my own, with the same SSN set up earlier back when we could do that. Neither of these were the one which received the payment yesterday.
5. The other account was registered under different last name than the individuals current name. (Changed name at marriage.)
6. Starting this year I have been doing AGC, prior to that it was always CC. (Though the closed acct receiving payment yesterday was from a CC.)
7. I switched my normal pattern across the 10 accounts last month but I don't think I did any A-B where there was a previous B-A.

So, not sure what did it.

Thinking if they are smart, I will probably get them all closed if they follow the trail A-B, B-C etc.

Deciding whether I should do AP on the live accounts this month (if they stay open), or if I should let them lay for a while. Not sure if the change in pattern would cause a flag or not. Thinking at this point to let them lay, since the closure occurred within a day of receiving payment.

FYI, all closure emails came in at the same time, 3:46AM.
What did the AP closure emails look like? I am curious.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
What did the AP closure emails look like? I am curious.
exactly same as in post 4095
Old May 25, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Can I use my Citi Thank You preferred for amazon payments?
Old May 25, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by duranza
Can I use my Citi Thank You preferred for amazon payments?
Why can't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.