Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:57 pm

I chatted with them, but no resolution.
Anyone had to call before?

Jevoy:Thanks,
I have reviewed the issue and I will have to get you to a phone agent.
May I have your number to send you a call please.
Me:i can't chat on the phone at the moment - can it be done via email?
Jevoy:Honestly they will want to speak with you directly.
I will give you the number.
Me: ok I can call in a bit - can you tell me in general what the issue is?
Jevoy:Yes you can.
I was not informed of the technical details as its not my dept.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: 1&2
Originally Posted by nic3456
I chatted with them, but no resolution.
Anyone had to call before?

Jevoy:Thanks,
I have reviewed the issue and I will have to get you to a phone agent.
May I have your number to send you a call please.
Me:i can't chat on the phone at the moment - can it be done via email?
Jevoy:Honestly they will want to speak with you directly.
I will give you the number.
Me: ok I can call in a bit - can you tell me in general what the issue is?
Jevoy:Yes you can.
I was not informed of the technical details as its not my dept.
He does not know the "technical details" wow
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fromfall98
It is routine for transaction to remain pending for 8 ~ 12 hours. No need to lift a finger unless it remains pending for over 24 hours.

Cheers!
Ok, thanks. It has always been nearly instantaneous for me, like a couple of seconds. This time, it wasn't approved until 2 hours later, so this is the first time this happened for me.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Did u issue the AP transaction at night like 8-9 PM PST? If so it may take awhile since its the end of the day. I think one time it didn't post until the next morning. I try not to do AP transactions at night.
I did the transaction around 5-6 AM PST time, so was surprised when this happened. Funnily enough, my past transactions have always been at night after 8PM PST, some even around midnight to 2 AM PST.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:01 pm

Good news/bad news - I never called, but got this email - I don't remember why I would have set it up as business (unless that was needed to make it fee free?) Not sure why they can't convert vs having to create a new ID?

Greetings from Amazon Payments.
Upon review of your account, it appears it was originally opened as a Business account. Since your account is found to be associated with a non business activity, as required to utilize the service, we have closed the account.
Since you only use your account for Amazon Webpay transactions, you will want to open a new Personal account which you can then use going forward without a 14 day hold being placed on your funds. Please know the new account will need to be created using a unique email address.
You can create a new Personal account with Amazon Payments Services in order to send and receive funds for your personal use. You can find more information on this matter by going to our Help pages:
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/helpTab
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns by writing to [email protected].
Thank you for using Amazon Payments.
Sincerely,
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:17 pm

Just created 1 new account and everything went through flawlessly - $$ is already on the way to my checking.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:16 pm

for the first time, my payment did not go through instantly yesterday either. it went through about 6 hours later though. just give it some time.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:05 am

Thanks! I was freaking out - my payments always go through - now one of my payments is pending - will sleep better :-)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:48 am

So frustrating. Signed myself up with no problem. Tried to set up one for my wife and verification was pending for hours and now they need me to fax in a copy of her government identification even though I verified the e-mail and successfully added a bank account.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:58 am

Hi,
I am new for the amazon payments.
Trying to meet $10,000 minimum spending on one card.
My question is: Is it too risky to do A-B-C-A, when A and C using the same cc with different bank account and different first name?
Since today is the last day of the month I would really appreciate the answer ASAP, thank!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Belllaaa
Hi,
My question is: Is it too risky to do A-B-C-A, when A and C using the same cc with different bank account and different first name?
Since today is the last day of the month I would really appreciate the answer ASAP, thank!
Your wish is my command.

I had a couple of accounts closed when using the same cc.

However, some folks report no problem using the same cc in up to 5 accounts.

Make your own conclusion.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: 1&2
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
Your wish is my command.

You can almost certainly get away with it for 1/2 months if that is all you need/are trying to do.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
Your wish is my command.

Another YMMV.
I've been using the same card over 6 accounts.
No issue so far.
*knock on wood*
Old May 1, 2014, 6:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Happy 1st! All my payments are sent and withdrawn. I would say another successful month is upon us!
Old May 1, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Belllaaa
Hi,
Update:
Just did it and worked so far with $4000 for April and May.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:44 am

Odd. Trying to send payment today and I cannot select the credit card option. It says "No credit cards available" But when I go to manage my credit cards on my account, I have several listed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.