Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aceofcards
Oh nice, I didn't think of that. I just added my own credit card but changed the cardholder name to his name and it still worked ... lol.
I personally didn't want to risk that but good to see it works.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by temo
Warning: they are cracking down on this. I had my accounts closed yesterday when i tried. I have a group of 10 of us who transfer to different people every month and mine was flagged. I didn't do anything differently. But just fyi
Were you maxing out the 1000 every month on all 10 accounts? How many months were you able to last before the shutdown? Did any of the accounts share the same CC or bank accounts?
Old May 9, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsmithj88
hehe, good catch

"the $20,000 is calculated based on unadjusted gross payment volume. Unadjusted gross payment volume means the total payments received, unadjusted for fees or refunds. The amount that you receive in your Amazon Payments account is the gross payment amount for the transaction, even if a rebate applies or the transaction is later refunded."
I know this is sort of mentioned earlier, but it wasn't clarified. So does sending and receiving the payment both count as "transactions"?

Sending - $250 * 4 = $1000 = 4 Transactions
Receiving - $250 * 4 = $1000 = 4 Transactions

Does that mean 8 transactions for the SSN or 4 transactions (sending)?

Thanks!

** Also, failed transactions do not count towards the "transaction" limit right? Just to double check

Last edited by jazzmailman; May 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
Just checked my 4 accounts and all is good SO FAR.

We all have the same last name. I always unload AMEX GC on Amazon. It's always a complete circle.

I should expect an email soon...
Old May 10, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I still haven't done this months...
Old May 10, 2014, 2:39 pm

Amazon Payments $1 hold trick no longer working?

Is the $1 hold trick no longer working at AP? I couldn't get it to work today.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GeorgeMilesArnold
Is the $1 hold trick no longer working at AP? I couldn't get it to work today.
have no idea what an AP hold trick is
Old May 10, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Don't usually use new amex cards with AP so I can't help you
Old May 10, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
It works... I do it all the time.
Old May 10, 2014, 6:11 pm

Exclusively AMEX GCs here. With "boost" I get 12% back on Travelocity and I feel like I put less risk on my card by not using it directly in Amazon payments...
Old May 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Withdrawing Funds Question

This has probably been asked before, but......

Can funds be withdrawn by an authorized user to the bank account of someone else....a relative, that is? Or do the names have to match?
Old May 13, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by Explore

Can funds be withdrawn by an authorized user to the bank account of someone else....a relative, that is? Or do the names have to match?
I know the bank won't care, but Amazon might. As far as the bank is concerned, if you want to give someone else money, fine by them. It's only withdrawals where the names need to match.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:42 pm

I have my personal bank account (in my name only) tied to four different AP accounts. YMMV
Old May 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Explore

Just open a Bluebird or Serve acct, that you manage, in that person's name.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:12 pm

I have read the entire thread and some 4k posts. Took some time. I would appreciate comments on the following:

post #3894, March 31, healthnut, and the suggestion that the AP account be independent of the Amazon account. My earlier reading suggested that it was a good thing to have the accounts linked; especially if credit cards entered in AP were not showing up.

Post #3968, sharka, suggests that A>B is somehow problematic. I don't see that from the rest of the thread.

I saw a reference to ghostery during a discussion of IP addresses but that product does not seem particularly helpful. There are some VPN services out there. Anyone use Hotspot Shield VPN?

Current plan based on what I have read is: A > B..that is it. $800-$900 monthly. Separate bank accounts. Two or three different transactions. Product/services. Comments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.