Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:09 am

2 of my accounts got "Pending" message, but everything is cool this morning.

Thank you, Uncle Jeff.

I am done for this month w/AP
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Ok, I am a bit dense here... I have done this 3x now.
first time sent $1k to my son and he paid us back via paypal
Did again this month , this time $500 on one cc and was charged an extra $1.00
then on a different cc sent $498 thinking that there would be another $1 charge but didn't so I kept the total under $1k
Now I am still pondering how is this not actually spending my own $1k to pay the bills?
Sorry, I just don't get it.
I send $$ to son via AP charging my cc
My cc bill shows $$ and I pay it thus taking $$ out of my checking account to pay the bill ( money gone now)
Son repays what I sent him via paypal
( that money is returned in order to pay the cc bill)
Please help this senior citizen figure it out.. thanks
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:13 pm

I heard somewhere you can risk getting banned doing many multiples of VGCs using AP.. but now I can''t see it anywhere. Anyone know if there is risk involved in liquidating VGC using AP?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by duranza
then on a different cc sent $498 thinking that there would be another $1 charge but didn't so I kept the total under $1k
Now I am still pondering how is this not actually spending my own $1k to pay the bills?
My cc bill shows $$ and I pay it thus taking $$ out of my checking account to pay the bill ( money gone now)
Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. Say your bank account has 3k in it. You charge 1k to your credit card through amazon payments to someone else. That someone else pays you back, and that payment ends up in your bank account. So then you have 4k in your account, and then pay off your CC bill, which brings you back to 3k. So you just earned rewards on the 1k you "spent" without spending anything.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
hence the phrase "manufactured spending"
amazon and paypal are basically middlemen in u passing money back and forth
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
I heard somewhere you can risk getting banned doing many multiples of VGCs using AP.. but now I can''t see it anywhere. Anyone know if there is risk involved in liquidating VGC using AP?
No one outside the tribe knows. I've done plenty and haven't been shut down.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:31 am

Tried to use ink plus at ap but it failed. Any idea why?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Wonko
No one outside the tribe knows. I've done plenty and haven't been shut down.
You better be knocking on wood.

Originally Posted by ninetwosix
I just did mine a few days ago. Worked fine. Maybe Chase is blocking it?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by f0xx
I just did mine a few days ago. Worked fine. Maybe Chase is blocking it?
Same here.

Did you enter the card information correctly?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Took a risk and attached one card to two of my accounts and this morning the account that I recently added the same card to is on hold. I should have listened to my gut, but oh well, at least only one account is down and I'm done for the month.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ninetwosix
Mine on my ink failed as well.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Wait. Wait.
Going through my information. I did have 1 Ink fail the other day.... Wasn't sure what happened. Peeved me though since fails count against your limit.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Mine on my ink failed as well.
My Ink Bold worked towards the end of last month (28th-ish)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

If an AP acc gets shut down, does that mean I can't use anything amazon? ever?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, UA Prem1K, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pkoo
If an AP acc gets shut down, does that mean I can't use anything amazon? ever?
nope, you can still use amazon.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.