Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by batta
I have account A and B.

A and B share the same address, but different name, social and bank account.
Can I use the same credit card on both accounts? then, AP A to B and B to A?
AFAIK, sharing CC and emails are the no-no's. You should try getting an AU card with a different cc# (if a business acct), or a virtual card number (Visa, YMMV).
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Can but shouldn't. This is not an exact science, and Amazon is not consistent in how and most importantly how fast they dole out the punishment. You might luck out, but why push the envelope? Better find and throw C into the mix.
this is great advice. I never put the same cc's on both accounts even in different months.

why risk getting banned from a great thing?
Plus, if you add a C in there more power to you. I cannot add a C. a+b are great.

remember too to always try to use real, believable reasons for your notes in your money sends.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by batta
I have account A and B.

A and B share the same address, but different name, social and bank account.
Can I use the same credit card on both accounts? then, AP A to B and B to A?
I've done it for months, same setup as you. No problems so far.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:55 pm

I have 2 accounts; A and B.

They share the same physical address, but different first and last names, different emails and different socials. I'm trying to add a credit card to account B. This credit card is in A's name and this credit card has NOT been added to A's AP account.

When I add this credit card to B's AP account I am using A's name and A's billing address (which is the same as B's billing address for B's credit cards).

When I press submit I get an error page that says:
"We're very sorry, but we're having trouble doing what you just asked us to do. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. "

Has anyone else seen this? And is there anything I can do to get this card added to B's account?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:00 pm
jyx

As many have suggested to similar situations, can you try to add B to be A's AU?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jyx
As many have suggested to similar situations, can you try to add B to be A's AU?
Sorry, I should have said that is something that B does not want to do (at least until I put a ring on B).

I appreciate the quick response. If anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
I have 2 accounts; A and B.

They share the same physical address, but different first and last names, different emails and different socials. I'm trying to add a credit card to account B. This credit card is in A's name and this credit card has NOT been added to A's AP account.

When I add this credit card to B's AP account I am using A's name and A's billing address (which is the same as B's billing address for B's credit cards).

When I press submit I get an error page that says:
"We're very sorry, but we're having trouble doing what you just asked us to do. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. "

Has anyone else seen this? And is there anything I can do to get this card added to B's account?
It seems AP has some IT problems as of now, I've got a lot of screens with the same message. I don't think it has any relevance to the account activity.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Sorry, I should have said that is something that B does not want to do (at least until I put a ring on B).

I appreciate the quick response. If anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
This is what AP sees: Name mismatch on CC because B is not the card holder that is being asked to process. Just like any other online transactions, unless B's name is authorized to use the card, doesn't matter if the address happens to be the same. No AU, then no dice.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
This is what AP sees: Name mismatch on CC because B is not the card holder that is being asked to process. Just like any other online transactions, unless B's name is authorized to use the card, doesn't matter if the address happens to be the same. No AU, then no dice.
Thanks, I thought this might be the problem.

Not that I don't trust lad2, but could anyone else verify that this is the problem.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 pm

Just add it to the Amazon account. It will show up in the AZP account after. You can setup multiple billing names/addresses in Amazon. Not sure about AZP, but I've always done it through Amazon, oddly enough. No reason for that other than just dumb luck, I suppose.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JerMah
I've done it for months, same setup as you. No problems so far.
That's beside the point. You might've lucked out so far and you might keep getting lucked out. But you're risking it. With the demise of CGC, AP is the only free MS method left.

Dude, it seems you're having a major trust issue. Although I must say it's not like B is being unreasonable... Life happens.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by JerMah
Just add it to the Amazon account. It will show up in the AZP account after. You can setup multiple billing names/addresses in Amazon. Not sure about AZP, but I've always done it through Amazon, oddly enough. No reason for that other than just dumb luck, I suppose.
thanks this work around worked for me!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards
I think I really messed this up. I had an existing amazon payments account already and I just signed for another myself using a different address, email, and bank. I sent $950 from my older account to my new account. Now the new account isn't able to be instantly verified thru Amazon. Now I see the $950 charge on my card and on amazon payments it says I can't claim the payment and to call, which I really don't want to do. Any resolution to this?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by baller4ever85
I think I really messed this up. I had an existing amazon payments account already and I just signed for another myself using a different address, email, and bank. I sent $950 from my older account to my new account. Now the new account isn't able to be instantly verified thru Amazon. Now I see the $950 charge on my card and on amazon payments it says I can't claim the payment and to call, which I really don't want to do. Any resolution to this?
You should be able to cancel the payment in a short time (I think a few hours). I sent a payment to the wrong email one time and had to wait to cancel it.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:06 am

I am still unclear as of when the schedule for sending/receiving AP resets. Is it a calendar month or 30 days since last pay/receive transaction?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.