Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold
The real reason to read the entire thread is cause not only will you get your answer but you will learn about 10 other things along the way. Reading these threads all the way thru is the best way to learn this game. Anyone who isn't willing to put in that amount of time/effort probably isn't cut out for this. This "hobby" takes a huge amount of time and energy to do it properly.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by tuppy
The real reason to read the entire thread is cause not only will you get your answer but you will learn about 10 other things along the way. Reading these threads all the way thru is the best way to learn this game. Anyone who isn't willing to put in that amount of time/effort probably isn't cut out for this. This "hobby" takes a huge amount of time and energy to do it properly.
it's ridiculous to ask someone to read 120 pages for something this simple. maybe if FT would finally implement a wiki, threads wouldn't be so long
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by mrredskin
it's ridiculous to ask someone to read 120 pages for something this simple.
Its easier (ie. better) just to ignore them completely.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Hey Guys! What is Amazon Payments?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:51 am
Suspended

do you know you get miles for using Citi AA cards on amazon payment?
and will citi treat this as a cash advance with fee even if i select “good & services”?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Are there any restrictions for using AP for myself AND my wife? I've been using AP for well over a year for minimum spends, bonus miles, etc. but I never registered my wife for her own account. Does it matter that we share an address and bank account? Also, if I send my parents $1k/month (which they return via our local shared bank), can she send an additional $1k to them as well, or would it be safer to send it to someone else? Just wondering what the limitations are with adding her as a 2nd household AP account, if I do everything almost identically...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
Are there any restrictions for using AP for myself AND my wife? I've been using AP for well over a year for minimum spends, bonus miles, etc. but I never registered my wife for her own account. Does it matter that we share an address and bank account? Also, if I send my parents $1k/month (which they return via our local shared bank), can she send an additional $1k to them as well, or would it be safer to send it to someone else? Just wondering what the limitations are with adding her as a 2nd household AP account, if I do everything almost identically...
Worked for me using mine and my fiance's accounts for the last few months.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Where is Brooklyn ?

Read Thread from beginning and/or Google like everyone else.

Originally Posted by tuppy
Well said.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Haven't used AP in over a year but I seem to recall that you could only get $1k, so you might need another recipient
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Haven't used AP in over a year but I seem to recall that you could only get $1k, so you might need another recipient
So you're saying my parents account can only receive $1k/month for free, even though we'd be sending it from two separate AP accounts?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:02 pm

correct. you can also see the limits at "manage my accounts"->"view limits".

So you're saying my parents account can only receive $1k/month for free, even though we'd be sending it from two separate AP accounts?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
correct. you can also see the limits at "manage my accounts"->"view limits".
OK, so what if I do A --> B --> C, with A & B sharing an address and bank account? Immediate closure?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
OK, so what if I do A --> B --> C, with A & B sharing an address and bank account? Immediate closure?
Should be ok. Different cards. Different accounts. Different email. Bassically have as many things different as you can.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
it's ridiculous to ask someone to read 120 pages for something this simple. maybe if FT would finally implement a wiki, threads wouldn't be so long
I agree with your comment - chill, people.

Also, there is a Wiki, but it's super general and not nearly as big as it could/needs to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.