Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold
chase cc ok?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by freetravelguys
Just to clarify, it doesn't turn into a CC per se, but registering the card under your name and address will make the AP system take the GC as a credit card form of payment. This is the exact way I have done it and it's worked just fine for me.
I have not had to "call in to register my card" or anything as such. I bought two cards & used one w/ my wife's name and the other w/ my name; I had purchased them both in the same bigcrumbs amex purchase too. So at least as far as I'm concerned calling in would just be extra legwork.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
any updates on AP and You S Bank? the hotel or the propriety bank's perks programs? Need to top up an acct.
of course PM welcome.
thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Using Amazon gift card

Can I pay someone via AP with an Amazon gift card?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:05 pm

Yeah, chase CC is ok. Done that for 2 months now.

Originally Posted by goodtricks
chase cc ok?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mromero07
Can I pay someone via AP with an Amazon gift card?
no, and be prepared to get flamed for asking a question that has been asked and answered many times in the thread.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by tuppy
no, and be prepared to get flamed for asking a question that has been asked and answered many times in the thread.
First of all, thank you for your answer regardless and I do apologize for stating something if it has already been asked. Just to be sure, does yours count as flaming, or should I wait for actual flaming from others? I do keep up with the thread on a regular basis, and no, I'm not going back through the last couple of years of postings to find an answer that takes someone who actually wants to help two seconds to answer. I don't spend my day on FT for a living. When hundreds of members ask questions, some will get repeated. That's inherent in a forum. If that annoys you, simply ignore the question and let someone who is actually trying to help answer it. This is a collaboration website, but then people complain about traffic going to the bloggers instead. There's no need to publicly critize or reprimand someone for posting a question.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold
First of all, thank you for your answer regardless and I do apologize for stating something if it has already been asked. Just to be sure, does yours count as flaming, or should I wait for actual flaming from others? I do keep up with the thread on a regular basis, and no, I'm not going back through the last couple of years of postings to find an answer that takes someone who actually wants to help two seconds to answer. I don't spend my day on FT for a living. When hundreds of members ask questions, some will get repeated. That's inherent in a forum. If that annoys you, simply ignore the question and let someone who is actually trying to help answer it. This is a collaboration website, but then people complain about traffic going to the bloggers instead. There's no need to publicly critize or reprimand someone for posting a question.
Gonna say that I wasn't flaming, more pointing out that it tends to be a common occurrence around here, for better or worse. The debate over helping or flaming people who ask simple questions that can be found shows up in most every forum. Haven't decided where I personal fall as we were all newbies at some point, but I tend to make sure I read every post in a thread I find interesting as you will likely get your question answered plus learn quite a few more things. It took me forever to figure out what people were talking about and I do think there is a lot of value in avoiding being spoonfed and learning everything on your own.

That all being said, I apologize if I offended you but at least I answered your question. More specifically you can only add funds to your AP account by CC or bank account. You can only add funds to your regular amazon account by gift card, though of course you can pay by CC directly. Personally I buy the amazon gc's at your local office supply store and just load them. Means a little float to amazon as I work them off but I'll take that for the 5x. FYI, they typically say Kindle on them but they get loaded into your Amazon account just the same.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by tuppy
Gonna say that I wasn't flaming, more pointing out that it tends to be a common occurrence around here, for better or worse. The debate over helping or flaming people who ask simple questions that can be found shows up in most every forum. Haven't decided where I personal fall as we were all newbies at some point, but I tend to make sure I read every post in a thread I find interesting as you will likely get your question answered plus learn quite a few more things. It took me forever to figure out what people were talking about and I do think there is a lot of value in avoiding being spoonfed and learning everything on your own.

That all being said, I apologize if I offended you but at least I answered your question. More specifically you can only add funds to your AP account by CC or bank account. You can only add funds to your regular amazon account by gift card, though of course you can pay by CC directly. Personally I buy the amazon gc's at your local office supply store and just load them. Means a little float to amazon as I work them off but I'll take that for the 5x. FYI, they typically say Kindle on them but they get loaded into your Amazon account just the same.
No worries and thanks again. I was going along the lines of trying to maximize the Discover 5% cash back bonus category coming up on 2nd quarter 2013, which is home improvement stores. Plenty of Amazon GCs at Lowes that I was thinking of draining through AP, but good to know that doesn't work. Cash back caps out at $1,500 spend or $75, so I thought that would be a quick way to make an easy $75. Gas cards it is then.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No worries and thanks again. I was going along the lines of trying to maximize the Discover 5% cash back bonus category coming up on 2nd quarter 2013, which is home improvement stores. Plenty of Amazon GCs at Lowes that I was thinking of draining through AP, but good to know that doesn't work. Cash back caps out at $1,500 spend or $75, so I thought that would be a quick way to make an easy $75. Gas cards it is then.
Thanks for the heads up about Lowe's selling Amazon gift cards. I shop a lot on amazon so will stock up on the cards from Lowe's next month using my discover card.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Thanks for the heads up about Lowe's selling Amazon gift cards. I shop a lot on amazon so will stock up on the cards from Lowe's next month using my discover card.
Is there a limit to how much money you can load through gift cards a month?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kpd905
Is there a limit to how much money you can load through gift cards a month?
Yes. Zero
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:01 am

Apologies if this has been answered before in this thread - I tried looking but it is just so massive .
I've had AP for about 6 months now and have done payments ranging from 900-975 from my AP to my fiancee AP, then cashed out to fiancee's bank account, and then xferred that to our joint bank account and used that to pay off my card.

I was wondering if this strategy will work, as I was interested in this AMEX Gold 50k point offer.

1. Open card for me (card A)
2. Open card for my fiancee, she adds me as an AU (card B)
3. Month 1. I send $1000 on AP from card A, from me to her. She cashes out to her individual checking account, we shuffle money to joint account and pay off Card A.
4. Month 2. I send $1000 on AP from card B (has my name on it since im AU), from me to her. She cashes out to her individual checking account, we shuffle money to joint account and pay off Card A.
5. Month 3? Transfer her 51k points to my account, sell our 102k points.
6. Month ??? - Close both cards (when to do this to avoid AF?)

In this way I hope to keep the process of A->B going while never going B->A.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Joesh
Apologies if this has been answered before in this thread - I tried looking but it is just so massive .
I've had AP for about 6 months now and have done payments ranging from 900-975 from my AP to my fiancee AP, then cashed out to fiancee's bank account, and then xferred that to our joint bank account and used that to pay off my card.

I was wondering if this strategy will work, as I was interested in this AMEX Gold 50k point offer.

3. Month 1. I send $1000 on AP from card A, from me to her. She cashes out to her individual checking account, we shuffle money to joint account and pay off Card A.
4. Month 2. I send $1000 on AP from card B (has my name on it since im AU), from me to her. She cashes out to her individual checking account, we shuffle money to joint account and pay off Card A.

Not recommended, as Amazon Payments transactions are likely to trigger financial reviews from AMEX.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Joesh

Step 1 thru 4 look good to me.
Step 5, not sure how you're going to sell your points.
Step 6, don't close out your cards too early. Ideally, keep it for at least 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.