Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
Electronic transfer are mandated to be instant.
So much easier to run money laundering! So nice.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
I'm talking about AP funding 'from' bank accounts. 'Not' withdrawing money from AP 'to' banks.
Oh. Huh. Now I understand. I guess I've never considered doing that - can't really imagine why I would.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Oh. Huh. Now I understand. I guess I've never considered doing that - can't really imagine why I would.
The point is not you can or can't imagine why you would.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by WBALLZ
I am hoping to utilize amazon pymts to make a monthly 1K repayment of a down pymt loan from my in-laws. Will this transaction cause me any issues w/ amazon? Input is appreciated. Thanks. -jeff
i saw this and just wanted to suggest that you put it thru as payment for services and not cash advance. just a friendly reminder
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:28 am

I'm finishing up the last few hundred posts here, and unfortunately haven't seen the answers to quite all my questions. Real quick:

1. I haven't signed up for AP yet. I actually place quite a bit of value on my regular amazon account, and don't want to risk losing it. Would it be smart/allowed for me to make a new account just for AP?

2. My understanding is that all of the following are frowned upon, or risky, or something. But I haven't been able to find any mention of them less than a couple months old, which as we know is an eternity in this game. Any thoughts on these options?
- A > B > A
- A > B > bank, B > A > bank
- Having the same bank account for the sender & receiver
- Having different accounts for sender & receiver, but both names being on both (joint) accounts

In essence, can my wife & I send money both ways, and is it a problem if we use joint bank accounts to do so?

Sorry for the noobish questions. I'm going to go back further in the thread, and if I find answers to my own questions, I'll post them for others.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: Several dozen
Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm finishing up the last few hundred posts here, and unfortunately haven't seen the answers to quite all my questions. Real quick:

1. I haven't signed up for AP yet. I actually place quite a bit of value on my regular amazon account, and don't want to risk losing it. Would it be smart/allowed for me to make a new account just for AP? **YES**

2. My understanding is that all of the following are frowned upon, or risky, or something. But I haven't been able to find any mention of them less than a couple months old, which as we know is an eternity in this game. Any thoughts on these options?
- A > B > A **Chancy**
- A > B > bank, B > A > bank **Chancy**
- Having the same bank account for the sender & receiver **Chancy**
- Having different accounts for sender & receiver, but both names being on both (joint) accounts **OK**

In the Jungle there are few hard and fast rules (as the internal controls in there are a bit whacky). Some are ignored by the Bezo tribe of headhunters (some people get away with murder) while some end up with their heads on a pole (as in permanently banned from Amazon).

Take it from an old jungle witch doctor, go for a chain (A>B>C>A) rather than play ping pong (A>B>A) with the wife.

In essence, can my wife & I send money both ways, and is it a problem if we use joint bank accounts to do so?

Sorry for the noobish questions. I'm going to go back further in the thread, and if I find answers to my own questions, I'll post them for others.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aeneas3
i saw this and just wanted to suggest that you put it thru as payment for services and not cash advance. just a friendly reminder
For AP this is correct but if youre sending money from your PP acct to someone else dont use Goods and Services as the recipient will get dinged for apx 2.75% (it assumes they are a seller and sold you something).

got lucky that I broke my transfers (payments) into 2 and did it correctly the 1st time. Called up and blamed it on the poor connection that was doing all sorts of funny things as it was extremely slow. They refunded the fee back to the recipient
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
A>B>C>A
I've been skiddish about completing the tribal circle.

I've been doing A>B>C for many moons, leaving out the segment that would complete the ring.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Several dozen
May become Lord of the Rings as I work to build infrastructure for a January group trip. Will know soon.

Originally Posted by cuebert

I've been doing A>B>C for many moons, leaving out the segment that would complete the ring.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cuebert

A>B then deposit into bank acct (which just happens to be a joint acct) allows a B>A via bank transfer that has nothing to do with AP = doesnt run into any probs with AP since to AP its simply A>B then B withdraws into their bank acct
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by craz
A>B then deposit into bank acct (which just happens to be a joint acct) allows a B>A via bank transfer that has nothing to do with AP = doesnt run into any probs with AP since to AP its simply A>B then B withdraws into their bank acct
Thanks for this information. My scenario is also similar. I just created the account today. Another question.. Does "B" have to pay any tax or fee to receive the money and send to his/her bank account? Please assume that "A" will be using "Services" option to send money.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geewitz71
Thanks for this information. My scenario is also similar. I just created the account today. Another question.. Does "B" have to pay any tax or fee to receive the money and send to his/her bank account? Please assume that "A" will be using "Services" option to send money.
Nope ,only in regards to AP and not other PP transfers where its the reverse and its Good & Services where they charge instead of $$ transfer
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:24 pm

Nope ,only in regards to AP and not other PP transfers where its the reverse and its Good & Services where they charge instead of $$ transfer
Thanks.. so A -> B -> Joint bank account ( B will add the joint account as his own account on AP) and both have the same address should work without any issues, right? A and B have different first and last names. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:26 pm

For a few months now I've been doing A>B>Bank then B>A>Bank. I don't do these at exactly the same time - I usually spread them out by at least a week or two. I haven't had any problems.

Both of the bank accounts are INDIVIDUAL accounts. Both credit cards are mine (A) but on the B>A transaction I use an AU account which is not otherwise listed on my Amazon account.

Edit to add: A and B have the same address but different last names, if that matters at all.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geewitz71
Thanks.. so A -> B -> Joint bank account ( B will add the joint account as his own account on AP) and both have the same address should work without any issues, right? A and B have different first and last names. Thanks in advance!
It doesnt have to be a joint acct. Its better if it is that way you can do whatever you need to w/o having to always bother the acct holder to do things. eg I swiped the DC attached to the ja today and told the teller I wanted to withdraw $xxxx and transfer it to a different acct (my personal chking). No problems or questions. If the acct isnt a ja you wont beable to do that even if you have the other persons DC and password!

by me A & B have the same last name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.