Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:48 am

Amazon account closure and remaining balance

Hey all, I've been doing AP for 2 years to meet new credit card spend requirements.

Anyway, I read here on this thread that if your AP gets shutdown, they hold your money (30 day, 60 days, 90 day, 6 months, or forever... ). Does anyone have experience with having your regular Amazon account (not AP) shutdown? I have about $900 in amazon GC which I'm trying to get back. I'm wondering if I should be patient and wait for Amazon to reply to me. It's been 4 weeks and no replies... I tried emailing, chatting, calling... they all tell me to wait for CIS team at amazon to email be back. But I get the sense I am being ignored and I should forget the $900 and move on.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by jerseygolfer1; Aug 23, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed you are correct. The Zombies will be playing there at that date. I made that one easy, but you see how information about opportunities can be passed over FT without going worldwide over in the bloggersphere.

I'm trying to recall in you are in Texas. If so, The Texas 10K is still available AFAIK. Just PM me.

Originally Posted by eltex
Uh-oh, a test. I will surely fail this one. I have 8/29 burned in my mind because that is when TMBBQ fest tickets go on sale. I am still debating if I want GA or VIP tix. I'm leaning toward VIP, just to get the early hour entrance.

I'm looking at your Portland reference, and it is sailing over my old bald head. Maybe Aladdin Theatre? If so, I will say I loved those guys during my college days, down at Papa Joe's and other bars on High Street. I hear it's changed over the years, but back then, you couldn't beat an early morning of 'kegs and eggs' before the big game every year.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jerseygolfer1
Hey all, I've been doing AP for 2 years to meet new credit card spend requirements.

Anyway, I read here on this thread that if your AP gets shutdown, they hold your money (30 day, 60 days, 90 day, 6 months, or forever... ). Does anyone have experience with having your regular Amazon account (not AP) shutdown? I have about $900 in amazon GC which I'm trying to get back. I'm wondering if I should be patient and wait for Amazon to reply to me. It's been 4 weeks and no replies... I tried emailing, chatting, calling... they all tell me to wait for CIS team at amazon to email be back. But I get the sense I am being ignored and I should forget the $900 and move on.

Any thoughts?
Curious, any ideas on why you got closed?

As for the GC, I'd suspect they'd mail you a physical GC. I don't see any reason why you would or should forfeit that.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Curious, any ideas on why you got closed?

As for the GC, I'd suspect they'd mail you a physical GC. I don't see any reason why you would or should forfeit that.
Apparently because I broke their rules.. I returned too many items. I had returned several cameras, kids toys, and other stuff over the past 2 years. I did purchase and keep probably $10K+ worth of stuff, but I guess they don't want to deal with me anymore. I'm okay with my account closure, just want to get my GC money back.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:11 am

I hope this question hasn't been asked yet, but the $1,000 limit on a calendar basis or 30 days from last transaction? Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by thesolution
I hope this question hasn't been asked yet, but the $1,000 limit on a calendar basis or 30 days from last transaction? Thanks!
thesolution is.... go nuts on the 1st. (calendar month)

Last edited by SGJazz; Aug 24, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by thesolution
last transaction
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by riversidetom
last transaction
Incorrect. It's calendar month.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Originally Posted by riversidetom
last transaction
Incorrect. It's calendar month.
I confirmed
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by andyandy
I can confirm that that used to be the case. Unfortunately, the error now appears to be fixed.

Andyandy
Thanks to The Points Guy's BS blog.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Ended in June.

Thank The Points Guy for killing that one. Only took him a day.
Used to get 6% on bcp and other amazon purchases too.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:49 pm

Edit: found my answer in the thread

Last edited by toothfilla; Aug 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by toothfilla
Edit: found my answer in the thread
No.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by chongwj8
I confirmed
I sit corrected and humbly apologize. I'll be validating for myself in a few days.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by liaozhongchao
Thanks to The Points Guy's BS blog.
IMHO, TPG runs a blog many many leagues above his competitors for reasons both big and small. For example, he never filters content from trolls and even engages with them. When a reader corrects him, he re- checks and gives credit where credit is deserved. He fully discloses any referrals he may receive and always tells his readers if there is a better signup bonus else-where from his blog if there one to be found.

And lastly, he provides unique analysis and POV from many different carriers/hotel groups almost simultaneously and consistency generates original content in online print and video form with a wide ranging scope of focus, allowing all levels of "point hoarders" to get something out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.