Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:46 am

Are planes not tracked by satellite?

Are cellphones not tracked because they're turned off? I manage to live w/o one, so I'm not sure. If they were on, they'd show up, wouldn't they? Can they survive underwater? I guess not?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Mekong Club
I'm Vietnamese. The news about supicious debris that Dromomaniac mentioned has been updated just an hour ago by the most well-known newspaper such as Tien Phong, Thanh Nien, Tuoi Tre. Now Vietnam and Malaysia are sending vessels to the area. Let's wait and see.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by david4455
It is not a good idea to try and get a night's sleep while following this thread. Trying to catch up from where I left off last night I had 10 pages to read....then as I read two another one filled up.
You, me, and everyone who need their ZZZZZZZs @:-)

I elected to read first, last page and looked if Wiki has changed.

While I may miss some information, all we know so far is that a plane is missing, couple, possibly four people traveling with passport not their own were on board, and those unread eight pages won't change that
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by david4455
It is not a good idea to try and get a night's sleep while following this thread. Trying to catch up from where I left off last night I had 10 pages to read....then as I read two another one filled up. I finally caught up a few minutes ago and probably got behind again by posting this.

Thanks FT...amazing reporting, discussion, and insight.
Trust me, it's more difficult in Asia. Considering there are more members in Europe/US than here it can take half the morning to get caught up on some hot threads.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by tranthutrang
I'm Vietnamese. The news about supicious debris that Dromomaniac mentioned has been updated just an hour ago by the most well-known newspaper such as Tien Phong, Thanh Nien, Tuoi Tre. Now Vietnam and Malaysia are sending vessels to the area. Let's wait and see.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/03/09/n...ines/32216980/

Norwegian Newspaper Dagbladet has a picture of the new debris (I can't find a photo on the wsj article that the above references.

Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
All of this is true, and I fully believe that having two people use these passports in this way was more than coincidence. Having two passports used in this way on a flight and then having the flight crash is merely coincidence until proven otherwise.

As I've said before, just because there was "normal" criminal activity occurring on the flight doesn't mean it had anything to do with the crash.
thank you for bringing some logic and intelligence to the terrorism discussion.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Originally Posted by Prospero
I am reliably informed, the aircraft would have had a glide distance of about 200km.
Thanks, Prospero. The 8:30pm-ish update on yahoo.com says that Malaysian authorities have increased the search radius from 20NM to 50NM, So that's still around half of the distance you quoted. I guess only time will tell whether that search area is sufficient or not...
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by malgudi
False! See here
The last avherald update predates the newer information. It's unclear whether the newly spotted debris is from MH370, but that possibility hasn't been excluded by authorities yet, and in fact Malaysia is requesting permission to send ships to the area to investigate further.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by malgudi
False! See here
Just a note, the article you posted was last updated around an hour before the first reports of the latest debris began circulating online.

I know there had been a number of earlier reports & photos so it's entirely possible this is something new, and not the earlier spotted items that have been disproved.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ok.. this is an honest question here:
So I was wondering if this is possible true hijacking... a successful one..

Could it be possible to hijack the plane, change flight path, enforce radio silence and land somewhere without being detected? I imagine no, but I am curious..
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by Sigwx
I am increbibly doubtful of that. If a double flame out occurred the aircraft with RR engines would need to be getting down in order to ensure at least 250 KTS IAS (TAS would be higher) for the windmill relight attempt. Then at least 30,000ft and below in order to increase the chances of a relight. There goes your 200KM in a flash. 80-100nm would be the absolute max in my opinion in favourable winds.
Prospero was close, 100nm is around 185km - not far off 200km
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Ok.. this is an honest question here:
So I was wondering if this is possible true hijacking... a successful one..

Could it be possible to hijack the plane, change flight path, enforce radio silence and land somewhere without being detected? I imagine no, but I am curious..
I find such a scenario highly unlikely, probably impossible... beyond all the problems coordinating a secret location to land a 777, in today's world there is simply no event or time when 229 passengers would not have access or use some form of mobile device in 40 hours.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
I find such a scenario highly unlikely, probably impossible... beyond all the problems coordinating a secret location to land a 777, in today's world there is simply no event or time when 229 passengers would not have access or use some form of mobile device in 40 hours.
Great point.. I am just finding the whole scenario here very strange..
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
As far as I know I am all caught up on the news.

While this entire story is riddled with mystery from location, plane and passports. I can not help but to keep thinking about these stolen passports.

How can stolen passports be used to board an international flight? Did the photos of these people match(as in they were altered)? Where the the looks close enough to get thru the check points?

I thought the security was very tight when I last entered KL via air travel last year. Not only did they check the passport, they required an electronic type fingerprint upon entry into the country. So where the stolen passports shipped into the country, then sold? Wondering if this was a planned plot to harm the plane since there is a relation of the two stolen passports and tickets or is it an illegal immigration issue?

Our thoughts and prayers are with all families.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
Just saw this newsflash from Reuters. Whatever happened to the plane (engine failure or human action), it happened quickly without warning, causing the plane to instantly disintegrate:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A280FF20140309

Exclusive: Probe into missing Malaysia plane looks at possible mid-air disintegration - source

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.