Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Milestone
So, to get over the Andaman Sea from their last documented radar, they would have had to have flown another 40 minutes or so in the opposite direction, without any radar or radio signal, no communication about FP change to KUL, no alerts?
Yeah, that seems really absurd to me that they would be searching West of KUL and not where the last radar contact/ADS-B signal was seen......
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:58 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
Wouldn't the flight crew be wrapping up meal service around this time? The aisles would then be blocked with food carts and they might not have immediate access to the speaker system, providing that the incident was sudden.
They would have just reached top of climb. I'd think they'd be into the service by then but not yet done. While I was thinking of cockpit crew only, the cabin crew would have access to oxygen through the extra mask at each seat bank until they could get to a walk-around oxygen bottle.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by david4455
I hope this question is not too insensitive.
What would happen to an aircraft that suddenly decompressed and disintegrated ( a word being used both here and in press) at 35000 feet?
Would a fragment as a large as a door be possible?
Look at the wreckage of PanAm 103. A bomb lead to sudden decompression and all were killed.
However the whole front section survived in 1 piece and other large parts fell intact to the ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

interestingly it says "eight seconds after the explosion, the wreckage had a 1-nautical-mile (1.9 km) spread"

Last edited by MANman; Mar 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eminere
Edit: Found it! The box was collapsed before.
Wikipost instructions: members may minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts on FT can edit this Wikipost to update.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MANman
Look at the wreckage of PanAm 103. A bomb lead to sudden decompression and all were killed.
However the whole front section survived in 1 piece and other large parts fell intact to the ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...ember_1988.jpg

interestingly it says "eight seconds after the explosion, the wreckage had a 1-nautical-mile (1.9 km) spread"
But... this occurred over open ocean, as much as we can determine, and there have been no witnesses to step forward and cal the authorities over falling debris. This is more similar to AF447, where it was lost over open sea and debris spotting and recovery were more difficult.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by pixitha
Yeah, that seems really absurd to me that they would be searching West of KUL and not where the last radar contact/ADS-B signal was seen......
Maybe they're expanding the search area since they haven't found anything conclusive (except maybe the floating debris) near the last contact area yet in close to 2 days. The picture of the floating debris suspected to be an aircraft part posted a few posts up should be verified at daybreak (a few more hours).
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by us2
They would have just reached top of climb. I'd think they'd be into the service by then but not yet done. While I was thinking of cockpit crew only, the cabin crew would have access to oxygen through the extra mask at each seat bank until they could get to a walk-around oxygen bottle.
I've rarely experienced full service whilst the aircraft was climbing out to cruise and about 40 minutes in the air on a six hour flight. It might not be germane, if there was a sudden decompression or other catastrophic event.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by us2
I mentioned that earlier, that perhaps they may been concluding the meal service. That would be challenging for the flight crew to assist in emergency landing procedures.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
But... this occurred over open ocean, as much as we can determine, and there have been no witnesses to step forward and cal the authorities over falling debris. This is more similar to AF447, where it was lost over open sea and debris spotting and recovery were more difficult.
OP asked would something as large as a door survive? my answer implied YES.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:15 pm

another passport anomaly

taken from avherald:

According to the states run Chinese news agency Xinhua Chinese police established that one of the Chinese passengers listed on the manifest never left China, is still at home and in possession of his passport, therefore was not on the accident flight. The passenger's passport had not been lost or stolen, the numbers on his passport and the passport number noted on the manifest are identical however.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by yannix
Maybe they're expanding the search area since they haven't found anything conclusive (except maybe the floating debris) near the last contact area yet in close to 2 days. The picture of the floating debris suspected to be an aircraft part posted a few posts up should be verified at daybreak (a few more hours).
For the AC to be in that area, it would have to be under the control of someone who intentionally does not want to be in contact with any ATC, nor to issue any alerts or distress calls.

I assume MAS authorities feel the need to consider a hijacking a viable option.

This is a very big change in the search, not just expanding the current radius. I presume they have some very valid concerns or information we are not yet privy to, to justify stretching their resources over this massive additional area.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by pixitha
For the past two days, they've been searching near where radar contact was lost. Some data apparently surfaced to suggest the plane may have continued in flight after contact was lost, hence some resources have been sent to search other regions (in addition to the primary search area).
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by yannix
Sunrise is close:

Ho Chi Minh City / ne Saigon time is 0517 / 5:17 AM /// UTC / GMT / Zulu 22:17

Sunrise at 6:03 AM in direction 94 East East
Sunset at 6:04 PM in direction 266 West West

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
For the past two days, they've been searching near where radar contact was lost. Some data apparently surfaced to suggest the plane may have continued in flight after contact was lost, hence some resources have been sent to search other regions (in addition to the primary search area).
Yes, this.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:24 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

Originally Posted by david4455
I hope this question is not too insensitive.

What would happen to an aircraft that suddenly decompressed and disintegrated ( a word being used both here and in press) at 35000 feet?

Would a fragment as a large as a door be possible?
Originally Posted by JDiver
OP asked would something as large as a door survive? my answer implied YES.
I think the series of posts is self-explanatory; AF447 had some very large pieces that were recovered.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I totally understand that, but if it had flown back SW or W towards KUL or KBR it seems like it would have been re-picked up on radar easily?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.