Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:01 am
jxd

Originally Posted by Guava
What about the plane's flight path been visible on screens of main cabin or personal video screens of business class pax? Surely, the FA would have noticed something is off with the flight path.
You can't expect the flight attendant to call the cockpit and say "hey we're going off course". Also, the flight attendant might think it's just a re route instead of the plane going off course.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:02 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
<redacted>

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...s/7772sec3.pdf

Minimum landing requirement for a 772 by FAA (not physical minimum) under worst-case scenario (wet pavement, high altitude, landing weight) is less than 2500 m.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 am Reason: redacted previously deleted post content / bolded

Programs: UA Gold
Regarding the theory that WSJ reports is being explored that the plane might have been intentionally diverted to an undisclosed location, possibly for potential use at a later time, one would think that a remote island would be out of the cards. After all, the 777 would likely need additional (and possibly significant amounts of) jet fuel before taking off again.

Last edited by COA777; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Remember that a few days aho it was specifically stated that there were two bursts of data. One on take off and one during climb. I have a hard time believing that RR did not look at the data immediately. Also, Boeing would have also gotten the data and you know that they would have looked at the data.

Last edited by deant; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:04 am

with a dry runway at sea level and a moderate load a 777 can land in under 5000 feet
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
RGN can land wide body. TG has daily service BKK-RGN on a 330. Not sure about 777 though. But I think it's highly unlikely though. Someone must have seen it thus far if it were setting at RGN.
Based on RGN and Boeing docs, a 777 can land at RGN. But that's not the issue. In order to believe that, you'd have to believe that the staff of an international airport is concealing the arrival of a 777, along with everyone in the general area who might have seen or heard it arrive, and one which is reported missing and the subject of an international, multi-nation search, as well.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattking2000

Minimum landing requirement for a 772 by FAA (not physical minimum) under worst-case scenario (wet pavement, high altitude, landing weight) is less than 2500 m.
It's highly unlikely and very speculative (which I understand if this is deleted) but there is an Indian Air Force base on a tiny island called Car Nicobar which has a 9000 foot runway. That island is well within the radius in the small chain of islands west of Malaysia and Thailand

Presumably under that scenario an Indian Air Force base has fuel
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by COA777
Regarding the theory that WSJ reports is being explored that the plane might have been intentionally diverted to an undisclosed location, possibly for potential use at a later time, one would think that a remote island would be out of the cards. After all, the 777 would likely need additional (and possibly significant amounts of) jet fuel before taking off again. How easy would it be for bad actors to get their hands on that amount of jet fuel and ship it to a remote island?

I'm making an assumption based on your assumption, but if this indeed turns out to be a well-planned highjacking something like that would arranged beforehand as well.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
It's highly unlikely and very speculative (which I understand if this is deleted) but there is an Indian Air Force base on a tiny island called Car Nicobar which has a 9000 foot runway. That island is well within the radius in the small chain of islands west of Malaysia and Thailand

Presumably under that scenario an Indian Air Force base has fuel
I would presume that the government of India would have said something if an air force base has gone under?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 am

Regarding the theory that WSJ reports is being explored that the plane might have been intentionally diverted to an undisclosed location, possibly for potential use at a later time, one would think that a remote island would be out of the cards. After all, the 777 would likely need additional (and possibly significant amounts of) jet fuel before taking off again. How easy would it be for bad actors to get their hands on that amount of jet fuel and ship it to a remote island?
I would hardly label them as bad actors. Whoever did this would have orchestrated arguably the heist of the century (and probably all time) given the amounts of tracking devices, satellite coverage and military surveillance.

If anything, it looks like the pilot(s) themselves were involved in this masterplan. The Captain has a huge, swanky 777 sim at home. While you may say many pilots have sims at home, it still raises the possibility he was able to rehearse this a thousand times over during the past months or years.

If you look at the time when comms were switched off, flight path pattern, elevation etc, this is the job of a highly skilled and competent pilot.

Getting jet fuel would be hardly a issue for someone who could've done all the above.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by merrickdb
The Boeing Airplane Health Management system is a service, not something that's installed in the plane. It's entirely reasonable for a carrier to elect not to sign up for the service. The aircraft still would have almost certainly been equipped with satellite communications.
OK, I get the first part, but it has been affirmed by several posters early on in this thread that this particular aircraft did not have satellite communications capability--VHF only.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by kkjay77
So how does MH operates all those 777s in KUL with only4,000m runways?
Yeah, people are getting their "m" & "ft" confused - for example IAD (my home airport) doesn't have any runway over 3500m! And accommodates 777s, 747s & even A380 (I think)

So I assume he meant ft!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:19 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Regarding the theory that WSJ reports is being explored that the plane might have been intentionally diverted to an undisclosed location, possibly for potential use at a later time, one would think that a remote island would be out of the cards. After all, the 777 would likely need additional (and possibly significant amounts of) jet fuel before taking off again.
Originally Posted by alanstarr
I would hardly label them as bad actors. Whoever did this would have orchestrated arguably the heist of the century (and probably all time) given the amounts of tracking devices, satellite coverage and military surveillance.

If anything, it looks like the pilot(s) themselves were involved in this masterplan. The Captain has a huge, swanky 777 sim at home. While you may say many pilots have sims at home, it still raises the possibility he was able to rehearse this a thousand times over during the past months or years.

If you look at the time when comms were switched off, flight path pattern, elevation etc, this is the job of a highly skilled and competent pilot.

Getting jet fuel would be hardly a issue for someone who could've done all the above.
I think the (now edited) original post was a thinly veiled reference to a TV series on ABC with the premise of being stranded on a mysterious island.

I also don't believe this particular train of thought holds enough credibility to count as a plausible explanation of the missing flight.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
What is the motive for a highly regarded pilot to go to such craziness to steal something that can never be "reused". Boeing revokes the warranty on stolen planes
I wouldn't dare guessing. But it is the most credible speculation (if there is such a thing) at this point in time.

Plus, if they were planning on intentionally crashing this somewhere in the world soon, they wouldn't care less about warranties and the likes of it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Part of me hope this means the plane didn't crash and the pax were somewhere, held against their will but otherwise, unharmed.

If WSJ reporting is accurate, the engines only worked about 5 hours instead of the maximum 7.5 hours it could have flown, it would seem to me the likelihood the plane crashed due to fuel exhaustion is low even if the plane ended up flying at lower altitude than normal. So the 5 hours marks would pretty much rule out crash due to fuel exhaustion. If fuel exhaustion is not responsible for the disappearance and the plane continued to fly for an additional 4 hours after the initial disappearance and presumably in a determined direction - no distress call and no automated warning of anykind - then it would seem the most logical conclusion is some kind of human factor, possibly deliberate. Whether it's terrorism, hijacking or whatever, it is likely something deliberate and human as opposed to mechanical or electrical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.