Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
From what I have heard the Fairmont Pacific Rim remains a gong show with very poor service levels.

The Shangri-La remains a basket case of a hotel though Market is a bright spot. I still think the FS is still the best of the 5 stars -- the Hyatt is my favourite 4 star in Vancouver currently.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
From what I have heard the Fairmont Pacific Rim remains a gong show with very poor service levels.

The Shangri-La remains a basket case of a hotel though Market is a bright spot. I still think the FS is still the best of the 5 stars -- the Hyatt is my favourite 4 star in Vancouver currently.
In the 4 star market, the Westin Bayshore is very good if you get a rennovated room in the tower- I would say better than the Hyatt.

I had two very good experiences at the Shangri-La, but do agree the price/value is not that great. I find the Four Seasons to have some great employees, and some not-so-great- after many visits I am pretty much fed up with the Four Seasons Vancouver- not to mention that it is tired.

I have not stayed at the new Fairmont yet, however I have spoken with some colleagues who have stayed there, and they said it is really a work-in-progress which was rushed to open by the Olympics.

The Loden has a great staff (who btw many came from Four Seasons Vancouver and Whistler), an excellent restaurant and bar, and OK rooms- I find them a bit underwhelming.

I have also had one good stay at the REN in the 4* category, and one terrible stay- also if the room is not harbourview it is very dark. The lounge at the REN is only worth visiting if you want a free bottle of water.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Shangri-La remains a basket case of a hotel though Market is a bright spot.
I just completed another stay at the Shangri-La.
Overall, the service is (still) very good, even if I understand they have reduced staff, and the physical plant is the best in Vancouver.
The Executive King rooms are the best value in my opinion, and the small balconies are a nice touch.
I had very poor service at breakfast- long wait, forgotten order- however it was followed up in an extremely professional manner by the F&B manager.
I would say that the Shangri-La is still the best option in Vancouver- also when you consider you can get rates there that include breakfast and parking, + the Internet is free (I think always at Shangri-La?), the value is pretty good.
It is a shame they didn't go after the premimum market in a better way, but apparently, Vancouver won't support it? (I find this strange).
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
All the hotels in downtown Vancouver seem to be sold out next week, so I'm slumming it at the Shangri-La (geez, I wish this would happen more often). Had the opportunity to walk by here every day during the olympics when it was HQ for the Russian team (I had a corporate apt near by). Really looking foward to my stay! Will post a full report upon my return.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:39 pm

Site Inspection: Rosewood Hotel Georgia, Vancouver

Prologue:

The Hotel Georgia was one of the Grand Dames of Vancouver and fell into disrepair over the years. It was last a Crowne Plaza before it closed for a total transformation/restoration 3 to 4 years ago and just re-opened a couple weeks ago. It is currently managed by Rosewood and is a welcome addition to the Luxury hotel scene in Vancouver.

The hotel occupies a prime corner on Howe and Georgia Streets in downtown Vancouver, across the street from the Vancouver Art Gallery, the Four Seasons Hotel and the Pacific Centre Shopping mall; kitty corner to the Hotel Vancouver and within walking distance of a lot of the downtown attractions.

The hotel, as a registered historic landmark with the City of Vancouver, could not be demolished and the exterior and some of the interiors had to be preserved. In essence, the shell was retained and the inside completely gutted. Historically preserved rooms like the Ballroom were dismantled piece by piece, restored, and replaced as it exactly was when the hotel opened. As such, it is, for all intents and purposes, a brand new hotel. Where an adjacent parking lot used to stand are now The Residences at Hotel Georgia.

The restoration work is beautiful and a lot of money was invested in making this former jewel shine as the new gem of Vancouver.

The Hotel:

When one arrives by car you would enter into the driveway / port cochere entrance which is situated between the Residences and the hotel. The doormen are attentive -- one of the doormen addressed me by name since he is ex-FS across the street -- and friendly. As you enter the hotel you walk up about a dozen steps (there is an elevator for the mobility challenged) to a dark evocative lobby showing off brilliant pieces of contemporary art which has a focus on up and coming local artists. As you reach lobby level, Canadians and art fans will recognise a re-interpretation of a classic work by one of The Group of Seven.

The Lobby spans the entire east side of the hotel and has a lobby lounge, a sitting area which also becomes an extension of the hotel lounge for disabled guests, the Front Desk, a Concierge desk staffed with soon to be 3 Clefs D'Or concierges. The all day restaurant Hawksworth and a soon to open European style patisserie is located on Lobby level as well.

A photo of the lobby

A photo of some of the restored details

The Hotel:

The Hotel has 155 rooms and suites. The building is L shaped and the interior rooms have views of an outdoor dining venue surrounded by water with some art sculptures. This makes interior view rooms almost as light and airy as exterior view rooms. There are on average 17 rooms per floor.

The entry level room is the Superior room which is about 350 square feet on average and face the interior of the hotel. As you enter the room, there are two closets with safe, iron, ironing board, luggage racks and ample drawer space and hangers. The 42" LCD TV is positioned over the writing desk. The minibar is either located in the closet or, in this room, beside the desk. The minibar is filled with a lot of local snacks and is priced as one would expect.

There is one arm chair, a small table, and a plush King sized bed with Rivolta linens. Adjacent to the bed is the overly large bathroom (a la Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas). There are dual single vanities, on opposite sides of the bathroom, a WC, tub, and stall shower with overhead ceiling tile shower head (4 tiles grouped together). Toiletries are Ohné by Lady Primrose which is a subsidiary of Rosewood.

The room is perfect for the single (business) traveller or a couple for a weekend stay where they will be out and about. Otherwise, the room does feel a little cramped. Lower floor rooms also lack a little privacy as the courtyard restaurant and other office towers can have a view into the room.

The next category of room is the Deluxe room. It averages about 425 sq ft and feature external views over Howe Street (towards the Four Seasons) to the east or the preferable south views over Georgia Street and the Art Gallery. The room is a larger version of the Superior room but with a seating area. The bathroom is the same in all rooms and suites with the exception that some rooms only come with showers.

The Junior suites are actually a full one bedroom suite with a smaller living room than the full 1 bedroom suites. The living room features a powder room, sitting area and a dining table for 4.

Unfortunately all 1 bedroom suites were either occupied or unavailable for viewing. The Penthouse suites are not complete yet but should be finished in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by luxury; Aug 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:09 pm

Food and Beverage:

The main dining venue is Hawksworth Restaurant located on the ground floor facing the Vancouver Art Gallery. The chef, David Hawksworth, is one of Vancouver's more acclaimed toques. Canadian celebrity chef Ned Bell was a consulting chef during the pre-opening period of the hotel. Incidentally, Chef Ned Bell will be the new Executive Chef of the Four Seasons Vancouver across the street starting this month.

Hawksworth is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and features local and Canadian products using techniques from the multicultural mix of Vancouver and Canada. The menu is value focused and is very competitive to YEW. I was unable to take photos to respect the privacy of the diners enjoying their meals but the room is modern (Lots of white) with accents of colour and very sparkly lighting. The views of the Art Gallery are very nice-- unique amongst hotel restaurants in Vancouver (both YEW at the Four Seasons and Market at the Shangri-La have no views to speak of).

Initial reviews are excellent and on weekends they are booking 2-3 weeks out. The hotel does hold back certain tables for hotel guests -- if you book the hotel, have your travel consultant make the restaurant reservation at the same time.

I have not yet tried the restaurant but hope to do so sometime this fall and will report back.

Cafe & Pastry shop

In the old Hotel Georgia, at the corner of Georgia and Howe used to be a fantastic pastry shop partly run by Thomas Haas, probably Vancouver's best chocolatier. The new Hotel Georgia will be opening another pastry shop/cafe in the same location and it is expected to open at the end of August. I will report back once it opens.

Reflections

As I mentioned above, the hotel has an outdoor cafe in the "courtyard" portion of the hotel surrounded by water, art installation, and some waterfalls. Interior view rooms have a view of this cafe and water feature. This will also be open to non-guests for a quick meal and should be lovely on a summer day (this past week the weather has been stunning). Again, I will report back once it is fully operational and I give it a try.

Jazz

Live music, and especially Jazz, have long been associated with the Hotel Georgia. There has always been some sort of live music venue at the hotel. Opening in the next few months will be a jazz club in the basement space which will be a very welcome addition to the downtown core -- very much looking forward to checking it out once it is open.

Meeting Space

The hotel has some very attractive function space from the double height spanish style ballroom, a boardroom, to small breakout rooms for smaller meetings. The Grand Ballroom, the hotel's largest function room, is a gorgeous double height spanish style room with a mezzanine level. The mezzanine can be used for weddings for the bridal couple to have photos taken etc, for the DJ, or for additional seating. This ballroom was disassembled and re-assembled piece by piece due to its heritage designation by the city. It is not the largest function room in the city, rather the opposite, but it is certainly one of the nicest. My apologies for the lack of photos, the room dimensions and my camera did not work well together!!

There is a boardroom which is fantastic for high level corporate meetings. This room is equipped with two way video monitors on the wall for video conferencing and has the ability for the documents to be presented and shared even showing any foot notes or fine print legalese for both parties.

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...a/DSC00157.jpg

and

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...a/DSC00156.jpg

All the function space feature digital sound so that all areas of the room are enveloped with the same high quality sound. With all the hard wiring in place, no longer do A/V people need to run reams of cords duck taped to the floor. It is all built in.

Pool, Fitness Centre and the Sense Spa

The Pool, Fitness Centre and Spa are located in the bridge linking the hotel to the residences. The "link" is the structure over the port cochere and driveway. From the driveway, if you look up one sees glass geometric shapes with borders that change colours periodically. You are looking through the bottom of the pool. The glass is opaque so you can only see shapes but most certainly is an unique feature of the pool. The pool is about 50' long and is a salt water pool. There are separate changing areas, showers, and toilets for the pool shown below:

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...a/DSC00163.jpg

The fitness centre is open 24 hours a day and is filled with the latest equipment from Cybex and TechnoGym. It is a mid-sized facility which is good for now but I do have some concern it may become crowded as more and more residence owners take up residence -- it is a shared facility. A personal trainer can be arranged through the Concierge but there are plans to add a personal trainer on staff a bit down the road.

The Sense Spa is Rosewood's Spa brand and is available at most, but not all, Rosewood hotels. The Spa features Ancient Secrets by Beauty THrough Balance, a Vancouver-based company which uses locally sourced muds and seaweeds, for example, for their various treatments. There are 5 treatment rooms -- 4 for massages and one Vichy shower room as well as a room dedicated for manicures and pedicures.

Miscellany

I forgot to mention above in the Rooms section that the bathroom floors are heated which is something the Shangri-La forgot about. The hotel only has 10 roll-away beds so should you require one be sure to have your travel consultant secure one for you. There are Nespresso machines in each room with complimentary coffee service which is a very nice touch.

There is a house car, a lovely Bentley Continental which is available for drop-offs within a 5 km radius of the hotel. It is bookable through the Concierge on a first-come-first-served basis or through the doormen for immediate use if available.

The hotel is using geo-thermal technology as a part of its HVAC system, hence why the ballroom had to be completely disassembled and re-assembled. The hotel, for the first time, is fully air-conditioned but the windows in the guestrooms can be opened for fresh air.

Final Thoughts:

This hotel is a welcome addition to the luxury hotel market in Vancouver. Competition is great and is healthy for the hotels -- as the new kid on the block, the Rosewood has a lot to live up to, from its heritage but also to the investment made in the hard product of the hotel. This will force established hotels like Four Seasons to innovate and keep up, especially since the Four Seasons' hard product is lacking compared to the Rosewood, Shangri-La and even the Fairmont Pacific Rim. The Rosewood has the best hard product in the city currently and the amenities are first rate. The only x-factor is service -- if the hotel can offer top notch service it will handily be the best hotel in the city. Even it the Rosewood cannot deliver on the service it will give the Four Seasons a run for their money.

On a final note, the Rosewood is applying for admission into Virtuoso which will be a very welcome addition.

Last edited by luxury; Aug 8, 2011 at 11:19 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any pictures of penthouse pool?

didnt recall residences, wonder what min lease is. offhand i want to say the shortest i recall in vancouver is fairmont pacific rim, which was one month IIRC.

one of the doormen addressed me by name since he is ex-FS across the street
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just saw that Radha Arora (GM and regional VP Beverly Wilshire and veteran of FS) has been appointed President of Rosewood

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
any pictures of penthouse pool?

didnt recall residences, wonder what min lease is. offhand i want to say the shortest i recall in vancouver is fairmont pacific rim, which was one month IIRC.
Penthouse suites are not ready yet; the hotel just took possession of the last 50% of the rooms (the ones with interior views) just last week. The Penthouses should be ready soon so I could not view them, unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I didn´t even know one could lease the apartments at the Pacific Rim, I thought the apartments were all being sold (prices ranged from $1.5m-$5m when I last checked)

Do you happen to remember what the cost of the fractional ownership for 1month was?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im just talking about leasing from buyer of unit. (some developers are leasing due to economy, but still rare.)

im personally always interested in hotel residences with minimum leases of a month or less, instead of 1 year etc.

with those minimum leases being a home owners association (etc) issue, where the longer minimums and other restrictions are put in place to limit transient guests.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:19 am

Updated report with room product and photos. Some meeting room and other facilities to be updated shortly.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:02 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Love the rooms. Nice photos.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Thanks for the report, Luxury. When I was in Vancouver in June staying at the Shangri-La I walked by the Georgia several times and wondered what it would look like when completed. Looks like they've done a nice job.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:19 am

Sorry for the delay -- the report is now complete.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank You Luxury- it will be very interesting to see how this hotel works out- I am looking for a good place to stay in Vancouver as I am there a few times a year- and have not found one that has a balance of nice physical plant and great service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.