best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:01 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Pickles
As much as I like the LMO, I'm not sure I'm up for being locked up in that 600 sq ft space for 21 days.
One can always opt for one of the larger suites, including their Presidential Suite(s). But the issue is that being in LMO can really feel couped up with its (relative) lack of light and obviously being in quarantine, no outdoor space.
Hotels with balconies/outdoor spaces at a premium as a result I imagine, but very few of the Hong Kong quarantine hotels have them (not sure about the lower end, but unlikely). On the upscale/lux side, Kerry has a Presidential Suite that has a very nice outdoor space. Some of the rooms also have balconies.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
One can always opt for one of the larger suites, including their Presidential Suite(s). But the issue is that being in LMO can really feel couped up with its (relative) lack of light and obviously being in quarantine, no outdoor space.
Hotels with balconies/outdoor spaces at a premium as a result I imagine, but very few of the Hong Kong quarantine hotels have them (not sure about the lower end, but unlikely). On the upscale/lux side, Kerry has a Presidential Suite that has a very nice outdoor space. Some of the rooms also have balconies.
Completely OT for this forum, but if I had to be quarantined at a hotel in Hong Kong, the Bishop Lei duplex suite is actually not a bad value for money. It's like its own apartment, has a balcony, and a killer view of HK: https://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk/en/o...hp#page=page-8
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Have done more staycations than I can count since protests and COVID...with repeat stays at many (off to the MO to check out its new lounge tomorrow!)

FS - Rooms and service were very 'standard' and very 'FS' ie nothing too mind blowing. Facilities are still top in town but unfortunately are all closed now in recent months hence no repeat stays yet. The lounge I believe is also operating on limited hours only. I did have a preview of the renovated rooms - I might need to see the real thing to be impressed. They are taking away some of the lobby space into retail/monetization opportunities - we'll see how that turns out.

MO (3x) - Amazing service despite running 100% occupancy on many weekends. Ms V the GRM there is the number 1 young and upcoming hotelier in HK. F&B has gone slightly downhill however - will see if the new Man Wah, Izakaya place and the club lounge can help reverse this. I believe MOHK is the least impacted of the crazy cost cutting going around in all hotels in HK this year as a result of the travel ban (although they did change to full size fixed bottles of amenities in the shower) - at least it is the only hotel that doesn't blink an eye when I ran the breakfast bill up to almost $2k occasionally

LMO - The service is much more non-intrusive compared to its sister hotel, and the price point remained much higher. Actually found the room a bit worn (I was in a corner L600) compared to MO (with fewer gadgets, etc). Saving grace - I think the pool is one of the best ever city hotel indoor pools in the world - and I never had someone else with me when I used it (sadly closed now). I liked it so much I asked to use it when I was staying at the MO. Personally I think the F&B (especially breakfast at Somm(!)) is best in town by a wide margin, if one doesn't mind that its restaurants do not have much views.

TUH (2x) - First stay was disappointing and resulted in some deep conversations with senior management - in general felt the service delivery was way too snobbish to stomach. Second stay was much better. Very flexible check in/out times, which is much appreciated and the opposite at many other properties (although the MO still automatically sets my keys to work through 11pm :P) I love both S80 and the Suite - but I thought the tub doesn't fill fast enough and the water could be warmer. There are also cuts here and there for example the amenities have been downgraded from Ren to Bamford and now to some generic OEM stuff, and the minibar is as empty as your average Andaz. I also don't like how they have converted the lift lobby area downstairs into a pop up store, which draws in too many non residents and dilutes the tranquil ambience of this place. Some people even venture to the 49/F library randomly for the gram. Cafe Gray breakfast was okay, dinner less impressive. It is probably the right time for a refresh and hopefully something better is coming (Master Fu is taking on the new design as well)

ISL - the whole hotel is run down like a mass market cruise ship. Wouldn't return - tons of service issues. However, I am hearing lots and lots of great reviews of their newly renovated rooms - the styling looks a bit too 'Shenzhenesque' for me but I might give it another chance.

StR (3x) - Not as viewless as I thought - if you are a local (or appreciate some 'interesting' angles of HK out of the window) I think it is just fine. Much better than LMO at least. Service was over the top (at least during the tenure of the previous GM). Technology, fancy things in the room, ... everything is there. I think the facilities are very good for a 130 key hotel (pool and gym etc). I was upgraded to the Governor's Suite once and the 192sqm suite did have everything you can imagine...The bar is also a very decent place to hang out at. F&B - I don't get the hype about all the Michelin stars (and they just got one more) they have - largely overpriced and generic/bland to me for both restaurants. Breakfast used to be very good but is now more middle of the pack. It gets scarily overwhelmed over weekends, and they don't offer in room breakfast as an alternative anymore. Sadly, apparently the new GM's policies have gone viral online and many are vowing never to return (is there any other StR in the world that limits 'butler service' to just a max of two coffees per stay? That doesn't have body lotion in the bathroom?)

GH (too many times) - a very consistent hotel in terms of service, hard product, what to expect, and of course consistently amazing views especially during Sunset. The construction noise has gotten a bit better. The Ruinart is still popping and flowing in the Club. However the hotel is also overwhelmed by crowds to the extent that breakfast and evening cocktails operate over three timeslots each and restaurants prove impossible to book. The staff in the Club are still as phenomenal as they always are, as a saving grace. For Globalists - note that because of the dilution of Globalists, they will only offer 1-2 categories 'view' upgrades going forward...

Rosewood (5x plus 1 month at RW Residences) - the hard product will allow for it to lead ahead of the competition for at least 10 more years. Just remember the lowest floor there is taller than the roof of the Pen I'm hearing first-time guests might feel a bit confused or the service delivery could be inconsistent, but once you establish a good relationship with the hotel, they treat you like a real VVIP and you don't feel like you're just one among the 600 rooms given how massive this place is. The Manor Club has suffered from a few cuts (it's really sad- having stayed pre COVID with the knowledge of how great it once was) but the staff are still amazing there. The butlers (at least mine) do a fantastic job as well. Asaya (the spa) is very unreal (built in a way you can't see other buildings around), but I feel like in terms of the actual hard product and offering, FS might still have the edge. The F&B here is rather eclectic and may not appeal to everyone. But I'm so glad I got to eat at Chaat which might be the best Indian restaurant in the region by far, and the afternoon tea which I'd gladly prefer over many of the landmark names in London. (Aside - Rosewood Residences - had a wonderful 1 month stay there despite facilities mostly closed. Lower key count and more 'boutique' feel - translated into much more personalized service and the hard product itself is almost as good as the hotel, with better views as it sits atop of it. Highly recommended for anyone looking for extended stays - they even have free food and alcohol every day, and help you do your dishes)

Ritz Carlton (5x) - only there because it's cheap (HK$1k3 a night and 100% upgraded to harbour suites) and near where I live and I was on my status challenge. The hotel is due for a refresh, the rooms are worn and tired. Facilities still have the wow factor especially if you're there for the first time - the jacuzzi at 118/F just never gets old. Breakfast and overall F&B (from Tosca to TLH to Ozone to in room dining) is very sad and desperately in need of a revamp (OK the new Tosca maybe less so but everything else.) The breakfast is at best on par with Courtyards only, not an RC (which luxury hotel cooks powdered eggs at breakfast?).

Peninsula - would not recommend. Nothing you can't get at Rosewood that you can here. I checked out a few hours into my stay. The breakfast (I went separately) is a sad affair and the service (everywhere not just F&B) is no longer the polished Pen style anymore. Oh and the other day I was having lunch at the lobby and seeing parties after parties of guests dropped off their Rolls Royce and left there standing at the entrance with their luggage with no one offering guidance to check in...

W (3x) - I actually think this hotel has a great physical plant especially given its age! I know it might not fit here but the bathroom in their Marvellous Suite (and the overall layout of this suite) - I think it is worth a try for anyone used to the above and looking for some alternatives. Also, the pool + pool deck + spa facilities might be the 2nd best in HK just behind FS. The breakfast while unashamedly packed like cruise ships actually was of decent quality and quantity. Although this hotel runs crazy occupancy over the weekends - hour long waits for check in/out and breakfast are not uncommon (they've actually managed to keep this going on for months and months....)
ABG, deer, offerendum and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:11 pm

@G-CIVC Thank you so much for this fantastic write-up, which is brilliant.

Would you mind to share a few more details about FSHK's renovation project? Would be very interesting in which way they update the rooms and suites. They are using Remedios Studio, which I found a little puzzling but I am curious what the result will be. In a way, it is a testament to FS that after all these years they still have the best amenities and facilities in HK, considering the "no-budget"-Rosewood HK and how much thought Sonia Cheng put into it.

Really sad to hear Peninsula has declined in HK, especially as it is such a storied hotel. Seems as though Rainy Chan's prolonged sabbatical means that along with the pandemic, standards have suffered.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I can't find the rendering anymore but from what I remember it resembles a bit of the Peninsula and the post-renovation ISL (mostly beige, muted tones).
The FSHK owner isn't really a big spender so I won't be expecting much there...
Some of our very helpful agents here might know better for this
Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, Accor Gold, Amex Plat
Rosewood have a 2nd birthday offer - https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/ho...kong-turns-two
Might be useful for those fancying a staycation.

For two days only – between 22 and 24 February – guests who book a stay until 31 March can enjoy a second night for just HKD2!

Applicable room types: Grand Harbour View Room, Harbour Corner Suite, Grand Harbour Corner Suite and rooms with Manor Club Access
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Have done more staycations than I can count since protests and COVID...with repeat stays at many (off to the MO to check out its new lounge tomorrow!)...

Ritz Carlton (5x) - only there because it's cheap (HK$1k3 a night and 100% upgraded to harbour suites) and near where I live and I was on my status challenge. The hotel is due for a refresh, the rooms are worn and tired. Facilities still have the wow factor especially if you're there for the first time - the jacuzzi at 118/F just never gets old. Breakfast and overall F&B (from Tosca to TLH to Ozone to in room dining) is very sad and desperately in need of a revamp (OK the new Tosca maybe less so but everything else.) The breakfast is at best on par with Courtyards only, not an RC (which luxury hotel cooks powdered eggs at breakfast?)....
How are you getting Ritz at $1,300 a night?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 22, 2021 at 9:32 am Reason: Shorten very long requote to relevant part
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
So then - the Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong review. Because the stay was over Covid period with all the hectic schedule of local staycations etc, tried to give concessions where possible (e.g. if the Mandarin Club was busy, it's because the hotel was slammed with staycations -- not because it will usually be THAT busy. I visited a few times anyway and it was crazy busy the first time, okay the second time, and relatively empty the third time as number of staycations had died down).
And also tried to review it more from an international travellers perspective, not a local staycationer.
As always, feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to provide clarifications - either in quotes/replies below or in PM.

Disclaimer: Hosted by Mandarin Oriental.
More pics (including their Mandarin Suite) and full review at: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/mand...-hotel-review/

VIDEO

PHOTOS

[img]https://i2.wp.com/www.thesuitelife.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Mandarin-Oriental-Hong-Kong-Review-The-Mandarin-Club2-scaled.jpg/img]

Location - Really hard to beat that. Only its sister Landmark Mandarin and Four Seasons can even think of competing with that.
Views - like The Murray, it has some unique/iconic views of Hong Kong without just being standard/nice harbour view. LOVE looking out over Statue Square (as you can see from my pic up there).
Maintenance - the property shows its age in many ways, but the maintenance is really pretty good for the most part all things considered.
Design - Bit dated, although interesting. Bizarrely I found the decor in the regular suites less appealing than the rooms. Love the decor in (most of) the Signature Suites
F&B - some of the best in hotels in HK. Prior to its closure, I would only put the old InterContinental above Mandarin Oriental for food. LOVE Man Wah and very much happy to see it return. I had a great meal again at Mandarin Grill as well, but I will say that I actually liked it even more when it was sort of a Krug Room-lite. I haven't been to Krug Room in years so don't know what it's like now, but it was one of those "try it once" type experiences that I enjoyed (but probably wouldn't want to eat at regularly). On the other hand, I do go to Cafe Causette every now and again, and also to the bars.
Not a fan of Clipper Lounge, unfortunately - the only weak spot.
The Mandarin Salon and the Mandarin Barber - maybe a bit of a relic, but a very, very cool one nonetheless! Trying to think of other hotels that have something similar - nothing in HK for sure and maybe a new hotel putting up something like that would just be weird...but as something nostalgic, it's quite cool. Context is important.

Rooms - yea, the entry level rooms and pretty much all the rooms aren't really that great (except the walnut panelling - I really like that). They're small, and the low ceilings make them feel even smaller. A few don't have bath tubs. The former balcony space in some of them is nice though.
Mandarin Club - very mixed feelings on this one. As a standalone club, it's very much a welcome addition and I think the hotel prior to this addition really missed something similar -- it is a big and very busy hotel after all. So it is nice to have that 'extra space' - particularly if you are only staying in a room which as discussed are on the smaller side. The suites come with access anyway. But in the context of other clubs in the city, it does fall a bit short - particularly on the food side of things. I very much get an 'airport lounge' feel to it, and have had guests say similar.
Gym and pool - not much to write home about here unfortunately. Nice to have, I suppose, but with hindsight perhaps the space could be better utilised? After all, Upper House does fine without a pool or a gym (yes I know they have one but it's so tiny I don't even consider it a gym).

If you're booking first time:
  • Watch out for the Suite names -- they're based on views but it can get a bit confusing. Best to contact someone who has stayed there and has seen multiple suites (agent, friend, sales etc) to figure out what's best
  • The Lichfield Suite is basically just a Harbour View Suite with different decor, but much more $. I'm really not sure about that one....the other two 'entry level' Signature Suites are similar sized, but at least a very different layout (and also significantly different decor).
  • If budget allows, do go for a suite unless you REALLY want to stay there (in just a room). The rooms are quite small, and the ceilings make it seem more so.
I didn't do a spa treatment - but did check out the spa.
FlyerEC, m3red and BESVISOR like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the report!
I have been to HK I think 7 or 8 times over the last 20 years and I have never stayed at the MO and I think this report supports that. The rooms itself do not look particulatly exciting and you do not need to be a guest to enjoy the bars / restaurants. I have visited a few over the years and always enjoyed the atmosphere, good service etc (by the way, what is the name of the bar on the top floor? I cannot remember now but I have had some very good whiskey there). I do love a hotel with a barber in it, always get at least a shave!

I still think that for tourists at least the first stay needs to be at IC / Pen (or maybe Rosewood now? Have not been since it opened), and then from then on I have stayed at either FS, TUH or LMO each with their own pros / cons but to me look squarely better than an actual stay at MO.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I have been to HK I think 7 or 8 times over the last 20 years and I have never stayed at the MO and I think this report supports that. The rooms itself do not look particulatly exciting and you do not need to be a guest to enjoy the bars / restaurants. I have visited a few over the years and always enjoyed the atmosphere, good service etc (by the way, what is the name of the bar on the top floor? I cannot remember now but I have had some very good whiskey there). I do love a hotel with a barber in it, always get at least a shave!

I still think that for tourists at least the first stay needs to be at IC / Pen (or maybe Rosewood now? Have not been since it opened), and then from then on I have stayed at either FS, TUH or LMO each with their own pros / cons but to me look squarely better than an actual stay at MO.
Think that was the M Bar (or something similar - that one and the MO Bar at Landmark always get me confused) - but it has been replaced, that's where Man Wah has now moved to.
And I believe the new Mandarin Club is where Pierre used to be.

I think the hotel has a legion of fans - some on this forum alone - that regularly stay there.

I am interested to see what they come up with for The Regent, but I am hearing rumours that it won't quite be the grand renovation that everyone hoped for - sadly. But I suppose we won't know until later!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:45 am

I am interested to see what they come up with for The Regent, but I am hearing rumours that it won't quite be the grand renovation that everyone hoped for - sadly. But I suppose we won't know until later!
I bet they would not renovate the bathtub or most of the bathroom...
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I stay at the LMO but prefer to eat at the MO (if I am not otherwise trying the fantastic food everywhere else in HK)...
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by uclabruin82

Think that was the M Bar (or something similar - that one and the MO Bar at Landmark always get me confused) - but it has been replaced, that's where Man Wah has now moved to.
And I believe the new Mandarin Club is where Pierre used to be.

I think the hotel has a legion of fans - some on this forum alone - that regularly stay there.

No more Pierre and M bar , Man Wah has expanded & taken over the space .
FYI , there is a new Japanese restaurant , Aubrey .

The Mandarin Club is on the 23 rd floor ..
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Big fan of the MO, in the 15 or so times I've been to HK in the past five years I've always always stayed there. Not always the entire trip but part of the trip. Rooms are a little dated in certain aspects, low ceiling can't be fixed, but service is top notch. And for someone who is out and about most of the day, it being the most conveniently located luxury hotel to a convenient MTR station is a big bonus. Some other hotels like the RC sit on top of the MTR too but nowhere near as convenient. Same for IC and Rosewood, although theoretically on the red line, is a bit of a walk. Pen is arguably good too in terms of proximity to MTR. But if you are someone who plans to spend a significant amount of time in the hotel lounging in the room or at the pool, this may not be the best choice due to the lackluster pool.

Last edited by ChateauMargaux; Apr 27, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
MTR..
FS is also quite good I would say. In my eyes it's more easy to name the luxury hotels who are not conveniently located to MTR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.