Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Tapa knew how to manage natural finicky phenomena ..
Like Macmyday . . .
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Like Macmyday . . .
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Bloody owners, how dare they decide to visit their own villas.
heh. actually the owner of amanpulo. there is a set of (original, renovated) two 2BR and one 1BR (the one 1BR does not have indoor lounge/dining) which are owned by one of the two families who own amanpulo.

speaking of owner of amanpulo, they did not operate extra flights?
(because they own/operate the aviation compay that amanpulo uses)

you flew in and out of terminal 3?
(seems closest to aman hangar)

curious re chartering tiny/cheap plane, and to HKG
not sure re immigration at amanpulo (laucala does it)
i think these are the distances (miles) to amanpulo >
219 - manila
781 - cam ranh (amanoi / nha trang)
881 - hong kong
902 - da nang (FS nam hai, ex GHM)
956 - ho chi minh city (saigon)
1151 - siem reap (amansara)

edit - pulo usually has Exclusives with full board (Romance) or half board (Island Escape)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2016 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:14 am

I'm heading to Amanpulo over CNY, would anyone recommend doing a boat trip to local islands/sandbar picnic? I assume they are similar prices to the Maldives (i.e. expensive)

Also does anyone know if they do anything special for Chinese New Year? Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Cross over to Manomoc where many Pulo staff come from . See how the islanders live - visit a school or kindergarten . The complimentary ride across can be quite an adventure in itself ..
The sand bar picnic is a must do depending on the tides / season .

Think they will do something for CNY . Email them your questions ! Also let them know any dietary , etcetera , requirements ..
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Cross over to Manomoc where many Pulo staff come from . See how the islanders live - visit a school or kindergarten . The complimentary ride across can be quite an adventure in itself ..
The sand bar picnic is a must do depending on the tides / season .

Think they will do something for CNY . Email them your questions ! Also let them know any dietary , etcetera , requirements ..
i will second those recommendations. Manamoc tour was very good and sandbar lunch was amazing.

They will ill also bring in anything special you might want for food and drink with a little advance notice.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:58 pm

The only thing that annoyed me about Amanpulo in the early days was that you had to pay for absolutely everything - water, orange juice, an egg. I think it should be all-inclusive.
I forgot to mention that they even charged me for seeing the doctor on my last day. Being charged for medicine is fair enough, but charging for the island doctor, who is employed by the resort, is not something I've ever seen before. It once again just felt penny pinching. Something often happens to me on holiday, mostly involving mosquitos, so I can vouch that I was not billed in Huvafen Fushi, North Island, Laucala or Aman-i-Khas for seeing a doctor. If you don't get billed in the Maldives for something, but do in Amanpulo, you know something has gone wrong in the space time continuum.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:07 pm

Very sorry to hear about your back problem - they can be the most painful things. As far as paying to see a doctor is concerned, we have had to do so on cruise ships - me for bronchitis and my wife broke her wrist in Fiji. You always pay for a consultation as well as any medicine, even though the doctor is always employed by the cruise company. So what surprises me is that you didn't have to pay in the Maldives etc.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Very sorry to hear about your back problem - they can be the most painful things. As far as paying to see a doctor is concerned, we have had to do so on cruise ships - me for bronchitis and my wife broke her wrist in Fiji. You always pay for a consultation as well as any medicine, even though the doctor is always employed by the cruise company. So what surprises me is that you didn't have to pay in the Maldives etc.
We had to pay in the Maldives when my other half came down with a viral.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: EK Plat
I've just booked at Hillside Casita at Amanpulo and very much looking forward to my trip in a few months. Does anyone have any recommendations for which one to ask for? Are there any with particularly good views and/or privacy?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:55 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I've just booked at Hillside Casita at Amanpulo and very much looking forward to my trip in a few months. Does anyone have any recommendations for which one to ask for? Are there any with particularly good views and/or privacy?
I would not be too specific about a certain Hillside Casita, rather wait and see if an upgrade to a beach casita would be available - or ask for one close to arrival. I lost the opportunity for an upgrade once at another Amanresorts since I had wished specifically for a certain villa (which I got).

Last edited by Musken; Feb 5, 2017 at 4:50 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I forgot to mention that they even charged me for seeing the doctor on my last day. Being charged for medicine is fair enough, but charging for the island doctor, who is employed by the resort, is not something I've ever seen before. It once again just felt penny pinching. Something often happens to me on holiday, mostly involving mosquitos, so I can vouch that I was not billed in Huvafen Fushi, North Island, Laucala or Aman-i-Khas for seeing a doctor. If you don't get billed in the Maldives for something, but do in Amanpulo, you know something has gone wrong in the space time continuum.
I've just been stung by Amanpulo for nearly $100US for a medical fee that was pretty much for indigestion tablets! (in their testament the food was excellent and worth over indulging for). I would have been happy to pay a slightly over-inflated medicine charge.

Anyway, I'm glad Chinmoy Lad convinced me to switch rooms to the beach casita, it was incredible to be able to get up, grab a coffee from the room and wonder down to your little patch of pristine beach.

LKaroo apparently casita 40 and 39 offer better views but I would see nearer the time if you can get an upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by kmills84
I've just been stung by Amanpulo for nearly $100US for a medical fee that was pretty much for indigestion tablets! (in their testament the food was excellent and worth over indulging for). I would have been happy to pay a slightly over-inflated medicine charge.

Anyway, I'm glad Chinmoy Lad convinced me to switch rooms to the beach casita, it was incredible to be able to get up, grab a coffee from the room and wonder down to your little patch of pristine beach.

LKaroo apparently casita 40 and 39 offer better views but I would see nearer the time if you can get an upgrade.
Wonder if it ' s to cover the cost of flying in the meds
Hope doing better now

Yes - beach casita ( or villa ) , indeed , pretty incredible to wander down to the beach any time .
Love the sand , cool even at hottest times of the day .

Early morning swim .. Predawn , moon rise , beach dinner ..

Be careful when it's windy though , gets everywhere , .. eyes

Yes , wait to see if upgraded . Even on arrival
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:59 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by kmills84

Still cheaper than some clinics in Hong Kong

And glad you had a wonderful time!

Think you can usually rely on an upgrade at Amanpulo but with the Chinese New Year timing (or Christmas/Easter), then it's tough.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: -
Tennis

What's the latest re: tennis at amanpulo? I saw some old posts mentioning complimentary lessons.

I'm a pretty decent player and would be interested in playing with a pro but don't think I want a lesson. Would this be included in our rate? If not, what's the cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.