Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Firstly, CONGRATS!!!!...and great honeymoon choices! We visited Amanpulo then off to Amanoi this past summer for birthday/site inspection and loved it very much! ... and I wasn't even sure if I would l like Amanpulo having been to the Maldives

We ordered whatever we wanted on the breakfast menu and was not charged for anything. Hot items, cold items, juices, fruit, coffee, etc...
We don't drink, really so I can't answer the wine list question for you. We also didn't have the dinner inclusive package so that didn't come up. however, all non-motorized stuff are complimentary so no worries there.

Sounds like you booked it direct vs. using a TA...in that case, I'd suggest on arrival ask about an (free or discounted) upgrade to the one bedroom villa #32 . It's fantastic! Of course, you may have already booked it

Enjoy!!!
Thanks! We did book direct for both, reason being that I wanted to use my Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. We did the math and decided that was better value vs. Virtuoso or similar benefits. We've booked a treetop casita at Amanpulo and an Ocean Pavilion at Amanoi, and I was planning to inquire at both about upgrades maybe ~1 month out and again on arrival. We are happy with what we booked, but I figure it is certainly worth a shot given it is our honeymoon and we have two chances at it.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:33 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
Thanks! We did book direct for both, reason being that I wanted to use my Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. We did the math and decided that was better value vs. Virtuoso or similar benefits. We've booked a treetop casita at Amanpulo and an Ocean Pavilion at Amanoi, and I was planning to inquire at both about upgrades maybe ~1 month out and again on arrival. We are happy with what we booked, but I figure it is certainly worth a shot given it is our honeymoon and we have two chances at it.
Yeah, 4th night free is great and can't never hurt to ask
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

We've booked a treetop casita at Amanpulo and an Ocean Pavilion at Amanoi, and I was planning to inquire at both about upgrades maybe ~1 month out and again on arrival. We are happy with what we booked, but I figure it is certainly worth a shot given it is our honeymoon and we have two chances at it.
I know there is quite the price difference, but if you cannot get a guaranteed upgrade I would strongly advise on paying more to get a Beach Casita at Amanpulo. It will make a big improvement to your stay and is what staying on an island with a beach of that quality is all about. I've stayed in a 1 bedroom villa, Treetop and Beach Casita, so can speak with some objective authority when I say that the Treetop Casita will single handedly crush your ambitions, hopes and dreams, whilst turn you into a bitter man, just like me . It's really got a lot to answer for.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I know there is quite the price difference, but if you cannot get a guaranteed upgrade I would strongly advise on paying more to get a Beach Casita at Amanpulo. It will make a big improvement to your stay and is what staying on an island with a beach of that quality is all about. I've stayed in a 1 bedroom villa, Treetop and Beach Casita, so can speak with some objective authority when I say that the Treetop Casita will single handedly crush your ambitions, hopes and dreams, whilst turn you into a bitter man, just like me . It's really got a lot to answer for.
Thanks, I appreciate the candor (I also appreciate your reviews by the way, i've read a few of them). I decided to pay up the difference for a higher room category at Amanoi (ocean pavilion) where the premium is a lot less. We could swing the premium for a beach casita at Amanpulo if we really wanted, but I just get queasy when we start pushing into the $2,000 a night range (this is just 4 nights of a 12 night trip after all). I'm still going to think about it though, we have ~3 months between the wedding and honeymoon and if we do better than expected on cash gifts maybe the premium won't seem so bad anymore. Maybe we could alternatively just pay up to a hillside casita if it makes a meaningful difference.

My understanding is that the treetop casitas are still very close to the beach, so we are just sacrificing the sea view and the direct beach access. The comparison in my head is to Guana Island, where we had a fantastic stay but the rooms are nowhere near the beach (5-10min golf cart or 20-25min walk down and back up the hill). There we did have a fabulous view (every spot on that island does), but being far from the beach didn't really bother us.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Wise honeymoon choices & congratulations !

Who have you been emailing ? If you have told them that it is your honeymoon , Pulo will likely include complimentary specials . Even upgrades , N’oi too ( especially for Amanjunkies ) .
This is Aman style , of old anyway .

When is this ?
Trying to fit in another stay for ourselves

Feel free to pm me .
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guana Island, where we had a fantastic stay
good to hear, when were you there?

as noted, enjoy, and ask re upgrades when youre there

many here including amanjunkies book entry level rooms
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:09 am

I’m at amanpulo right now so feel free to ask me any questions. Ive attached the main courses from the club house. I have a similar package to you basically you select a starter, main and dessert. Anything but the lobster or steak.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:30 pm

@FlyerEC thank you, I will PM you.
@Kagehitokiri we visited Guana in 2015. It was our best vacation ever, by far - hoping it can be topped by this one though! We loved everything about the place and were devastated to hear about the damage from the hurricanes, not just to the hotel itself but to the homes of the wonderful staff, many of which were apparently completely destroyed. They started a GoFundMe page that had raised over $50,000 for them the last time I checked, which hopefully makes some difference.
@aerialfish thanks! Much appreciated and hope you're loving it there. If you could snap a pic of the Beach Club dinner menu at some point that would be great. My only other question for someone on-site would be my #3 above about what happens if we want to do some other special dinner beyond Clubhouse or Beach Club.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:48 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

My understanding is that the treetop casitas are still very close to the beach, so we are just sacrificing the sea view and the direct beach access. The comparison in my head is to Guana Island, where we had a fantastic stay but the rooms are nowhere near the beach (5-10min golf cart or 20-25min walk down and back up the hill). There we did have a fabulous view (every spot on that island does), but being far from the beach didn't really bother us.
I would normally never pay for "just the view", but I agree with the advice given to go for a beach casita at Amanpulo. You are right that nothing is really far from the beach, but it is still a huge difference between the beach- and hilltop casitas. Being hilltop you feel you are in the dense jungle and not at the beach, you will need to climb some stairs and take your buggy to drive to the beach. You will also have to use the beautiful but still small beach stretch by the beach club. When you have a beach casita you just open your door and walk a few steps to your own private stretch of beach and while there you can still easily use your beach casita with it`s advantages while you are still "at home" while being at the beach. Having been both at pulo and at noi, I would strongly advice you to splurge at pulo instead of at noi or - even better - try to get a confirmed upgrade before arriving - or the latest once you are there. I have not been to Guana island, but can imagine that there is a difference since you say that none of the rooms are at the beach. At pulo "everyone else" is AT the beach and that does make a difference. Also, if you have the beach BBQ it will be much more private if you have a beach casita since they set it up right in front of your casita when you have one of these and just close to the beach club if not. Same when you go out on a boat, they pick you up "at home" when you are at a beach casita.

And then there is the sunsets, magic ones, which you can see at the beach (at noi the sun sets at the lake). Imagine getting ready for the night and in between getting ready you just walk a few steps down to your private beach stretch and enjoy the sunset and then back to your casita before dinner instead of having to miss this.
MacMyDay likes this.

Last edited by Musken; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:00 am

Agreed with @Musken. @MapleLeafss, I too stayed in Amanoi and they actually upgraded me, didn't tell me, and I didn't even notice for my 4 night stay until I checked later on. That may say more about me than Amanoi though.

It's only during the last 12-18 months that I have even decided to pay more than the base room as previously it never bothered me, but if there was one property I would give the advice to pay extra for it really would be Amanpulo. All the same, some polite poking and requesting upgrades and hopefully it will come through. Have an amazing honeymoon - you have chosen two of my favourite Aman properties and it will be spectacular.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:36 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Echoing what everyone else says here - either splurge for the beach casita or try to get it guaranteed as an upgrade ahead of time. It will make a huge difference to your Amanpulo trip.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:02 am

CanŽt decide between Pulo or Maldives in April. Is the weather good in April?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by landing
CanŽt decide between Pulo or Maldives in April. Is the weather good in April?
Typically, yes. But bit unpredictable these days - it was/is raining/cloudy there right now when typically it's sunshine and clear days. Storm passed over couple of Christmases back when usually it's pristine etc.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:39 am

Smile

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Typically, yes. But bit unpredictable these days - it was/is raining/cloudy there right now when typically it's sunshine and clear days. Storm passed over couple of Christmases back when usually it's pristine etc.
WeŽve been twice to Philippines before (always before x-mas) and had bad weather. If I convince my wife flying there again weather must be good otherwise IŽll get some problem...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
My parents just came back from a stay at the Pulo and they had a wonderful time at the resort, which the exception that they were sick for most of their stay. If they were to ever go again they said they would book a 1bd villa over the beach casita having stayed in both during their trip. The in-house cook made the whole difference in their opinion which much better meals than at the restaurants and every night they would set up their dining area with different decorations, which were amazing. The bedroom portion of the villa is exactly the same as the casita: furniture, shape bathroom, but you have a separate living room, a pool ofc and a nice garden. One thing though is they prefered the beach by the casitas than next to the villa. Mom loved driving the buggy and wished her car was as simple to drive lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.