Community
Wiki Posts
Search

if you had begun staying in luxury hotels sooner than you did

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

EuropeanPete, did you do chain hotels in mid 90s instead of peninsula, mandarin oriental, aman?
"The Oriental Bangkok under Kurt" - he retired may 31 2009
i did include this, due to posts from Pausanias and obscure2k, and a few other regulars here >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
of course certain countries / areas as well, for example some great comments about FS damascus here

perhaps doing luxury photographic african safaris earlier in their development, or buying out luxury hunting safaris then not hunting

i also recall for example Pausanias talking about hotel bora bora (became aman) before area was developed
soneva fushi maldives opening in 1995 might be similar in terms of being before development
caribbean and to a lesser extent hawaii are similar, dont recall development history
a major part of why i said aman starting in the 90s is the destinations. other than aman, i would have been focused on destinations, and luxury/etc did exist. assuming i was too late at that point for CIGA etc. my mention of aman did not have anything to do with ownership of aman, nor anything to do with other luxury hotel companies.

pstm91, i suspect you could have chosen to spend some on luxury hotels after you were "14 or 15" - looking back, would you have? or was it otherwise enjoyably spent?

i would change [almost all] of my spending. specifically re luxury travel i did: skip most, possibly do more of a few, definitely do every aman. now due to budget i will only do 1 aman (giri)

feltrinelli only opened in 2001 after i believe a quite long renovation by bob burns after he sold regent to four seasons

as i later clarified, my question was only about starting earlier in one's life
i did not spend much time deciding on: "if you had begun" to indicate that

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
EuropeanPete, did you do chain hotels in mid 90s instead of peninsula, mandarin oriental, aman?
"The Oriental Bangkok under Kurt" - he retired may 31 2009
I was in my teens in the mid 90s and so while I was lucky to travel the world with my commercial airline pilot father, it was more Intercontinentals and Marriotts than Amans.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I was in Phuket in 1987, staying at The Phuket Yacht Club which was, at the time, the best option. It was here that I heard from a member of staff they were building 'a resort for millionaires'. I did a spot of research and discovered Amanpuri. We went the first year it opened and knew, straight away, that this was a game-changer. It was so good that we returned there the following December.

I used to love Ciga Hotels and stayed in all the Venice properties, plus Sardinia etc etc.

I am not surprised that everyone is revelling in nostalia here, as the current crop of hotels/resorts tends to remind me that the golden age of hospitality is probably over.
Sorry, but I hated CIGA properties and still actively try to avoid any of their former hotels. IME they follow the objectionable policy of refusing to permit check in before their official check in time even when it's obvious that the hotel isn't full and rooms are available and ready. It's obnoxious when one arrives at 2 pm after a long tiring trip and is told to come back at 3 pm, and then of course at 3, there's a very long line. This SOP also leads to concern about luggage (depending on what's in my hand luggage, I don't like to leave it with bell staff) and then long delays in having it delivered to the room. It's silly to pretend that all rooms magically just become clean at the stated check in time.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Their former management must have all gone to the Hilton Moorea.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:08 am

pstm91, i suspect you could have chosen to spend some on luxury hotels after you were "14 or 15" - looking back, would you have? or was it otherwise enjoyably spent?

i would change most of my spending. specifically re luxury travel i did: skip most, possibly do more of a few, definitely do every aman. now due to budget i will only do 1 aman (giri)

feltrinelli only opened in 2001 after i believe a quite long renovation by bob burns after he sold regent to four seasons

as i later clarified, my question was only about starting earlier in one's life
i did not spend much time deciding on: "if you had begun" to indicate that
The only regret I have with travel is that is always feels too short

I wouldn't change anything about my past trips though, and I definitely do not think something needs to be luxurious to be memorable. Quite the opposite actually - I've had many memorable trips staying in hostels; probably just as many as luxury stays. I think I got a better sense of the local culture and certainly had more genuine interactions with locals during those hostel stays versus staying in a luxury hotel. Both styles of trips have value and I appreciate them both. As I get older, I have a greater need for privacy and the finer things in life, hence the transition to more higher-end stays.
schriste and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

the regulars here who prefer aman, safaris, and private islands might agree with me re limitations of "luxury hotel" as a term of art

that type of travel, which places an importance on destination, was probably what i had in mind, as i actually think about it more

but i was also remembering many posts here, from many long-time regulars, along these lines >

Originally Posted by Pausanias
utterly fabulous Chateau de Bagnols which Amanresorts managed in its first years of operation. That still might be the best hotel I've ever been to.
My French list would be:
Chateau de Bagnols near Lyons
L'Oustau de Baumaniere in Provence
Auberge de l'Ill & Hotel des Berges in Alsace
These are the three most beautiful hotels/restaurants I have ever been to, with food to match the surroundings which is unusual
Chateau de Bagnols, Bagnols...still regard it as the ultimate chateau hotel in France.
When they were Amans I would rate the
Hotel Bora Bora, French Polynesia
and the
Chateau de Bagnols, France
as the best, higher than any of the others [amans] that I have been to
The overwater bungalow called Vete at the Hotel Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Any room at the Chateau de Bagnols, France
ciga sold to ITT / starwood in mid 1990s
aman, regent, rosewood, RC sold in 1990s

rosewood managed Lanesborough '92 to '02
hotel-online.com/News/PR2002_2nd/May02_Lanesborough.html
hotelnewsresource.com/article1700.html
st regis '02 to '13 then oetker from '14 (to '24?)
while Lanesborough ownership hasn't changed
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2022 at 9:21 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Looking back I wish that I made a greater effort to post reviews and give positive feedback when I found a great hotel team. I have always said thank you, but now I make a concerted effort to share my amazing experiences via Tripadvisor and with friends and colleagues, and the hotel management team, to support their work.

I also wish I had appreciated how transitory and medium term some hotel flags terms are held. The Lanesborough under Rosewood was spectacular but its changed two or three flags since then. Thankfully, its better now than it has been in decades.

My experience has lead me to the hotel being the driving force of where to stay. For me, its the hotel experience and the service which decide where we go.
scented likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but I hated CIGA properties and still actively try to avoid any of their former hotels. IME they follow the objectionable policy of refusing to permit check in before their official check in time even when it's obvious that the hotel isn't full and rooms are available and ready. It's obnoxious when one arrives at 2 pm after a long tiring trip and is told to come back at 3 pm, and then of course at 3, there's a very long line. This SOP also leads to concern about luggage (depending on what's in my hand luggage, I don't like to leave it with bell staff) and then long delays in having it delivered to the room. It's silly to pretend that all rooms magically just become clean at the stated check in time.
Was this under CIGA? Really? Having stayed in all of the ex-Ciga properties, I never experienced this once. Cala di Volpe? Under Ciga, this was one of the best resorts in the world, including very personalised service and superb food. Once Starwood took over, it was then that I began to have problems - awful service, bad food, etc. You surprise me.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Was this under CIGA? Really? Having stayed in all of the ex-Ciga properties, I never experienced this once. Cala di Volpe? Under Ciga, this was one of the best resorts in the world, including very personalised service and superb food. Once Starwood took over, it was then that I began to have problems - awful service, bad food, etc. You surprise me.
I too have never had a problem at a CIGA property. Even under Starwood, although I prefer to dine out when in places like Venice. I haven't tried them under Marriott yet though.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:01 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Without wanting to take this thread off topic, I wonder what the answers would look like to similar musings in 40 years in terms of answers of places of exceptional beauty and peace which aren't what they used to be (not quite the OP's question, but that seems to be where the conversation went). Maybe a good alternative thread, though not one for this "Luxury" forum where unfortunately I think the amenities and service expected to be categorised as such mean only a tiny part of the world is eligible.

When I think to places that have that special unspoiled beauty even now and some hotels or lodges with truly intimate experiences, I think to the Marquesas, the Tuamotos, Northern Mozamique (once the Islamists chill out), the countryside of Zimbabwe, cabins on the shores of lake Baikal or pre-Bensley tents on Khovsgol, the remaining beauty spots of the Caribbean (e.g. Tobago Cays), maybe Belize, Holbox in Mexico (perhaps this is borderline), Uepi private island in the Solomons...
A bit OT, but does anyone actually enjoy relatively more recent Bensley-designed hotels? I mean sure they look different several of the more unique ones just seemed little more than garish to me.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:53 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by clubeurope
A bit OT, but does anyone actually enjoy relatively more recent Bensley-designed hotels? I mean sure they look different several of the more unique ones just seemed little more than garish to me.
I really enjoyed Capella Ubud, but it was a relatively short stay - the design/style/whole theme thing might grate if you're staying longer. It's one of those 'best taken in small doses' things. If I make it out to Shinta Mani Wild at some point, curious how, if at all, that would flip because you wouldn't really travel all that way for a short stay.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I really enjoyed Capella Ubud, but it was a relatively short stay - the design/style/whole theme thing might grate if you're staying longer. It's one of those 'best taken in small doses' things. If I make it out to Shinta Mani Wild at some point, curious how, if at all, that would flip because you wouldn't really travel all that way for a short stay.
Thats a very fair take I spent a night at the Capella late last year and did initially thought of the design to be rather fun, but the novelty sure wore off after just a few hours absolutely hated the toilet though.

and to stay on topic : I very much wish I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Bora Bora back when it was open
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I very much wish I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Bora Bora back when it was open
in may 2008, announced closure (for renovations) in october 2008

current / upcoming , see photos in WSJ links >

two (aman) Hotel Bora Bora bungalows being turned into 1BR rental (in great location?)
wsj.com/story/how-a-nostalgic-bora-bora-inspired-the-islands-most-exclusive-stay-8bd5648b
wsj.com/articles/bora-boras-exclusive-new-hotel-11643979072
coquicoqui.com/borabora
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-151.7654797

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 8, 2022 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thats a very fair take I spent a night at the Capella late last year and did initially thought of the design to be rather fun, but the novelty sure wore off after just a few hours absolutely hated the toilet though.

and to stay on topic : I very much wish I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Bora Bora back when it was open
Oh jeez yes. The rest of it was fine, as you said the novelty would wear off if you stay a bit longer, but the toilet was awful from the start.
The day bed was very nice though.

On topic - okay here's one - I'd have loved to stay at what are now hotels but before they were even hotels! The Lake Palace, Rambagh, Umaid Bhawan, Falaknuma just from India alone. Would probably have to be cushty with the then Nizams/Kings/Emperors etc though!
And THEN to transport yourself back to more recent times to stay there as a hotel - and compare!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
before they were even hotels
Umaid Bhawan
IIRC aman opened umaid, then presumably owner was not especially interested in Tuttle design, or cost to make it similar to amanbagh. at the time aman no longer had more 'historical' style properties. and not lease like aman venice where investor pays for everything.

2000s (umaid) and 1990s were really not that long ago

i should have said "paying for" luxury hotels rather than "staying in"
thought there might be some replies re luxury hotel nostalgia

umaid and india generally perfect example of not 'regular' hotels
similar with ryokans (with lots of variation) in japan

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 28, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.