Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

New Year, time to move on!

Here's last year's thread: Amanresorts thread - 2020
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:23 pm

Tagged! Hoping to be able to go to one this year.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So which Aman property for 2021 before the masses return? I think we all have a unique travel opportunity during this time of getting vaccinated and traveling before everyone else starts filling up popular destinations. Where would you travel and which Aman property would you choose stay at to visit a place that would typically be over-run with tourists but could offer a unique, goose bump, spine tingling experience because you would have the sites all to yourself due to the present circumstances, creating a once in a lifetime opportunity? Aman properties are already pretty tranquile, it's more about the touring around and having those private experiences with the Aman accommodations as home base.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
So which Aman property for 2021 before the masses return? I think we all have a unique travel opportunity during this time of getting vaccinated and traveling before everyone else starts filling up popular destinations. Where would you travel and which Aman property would you choose stay at to visit a place that would typically be over-run with tourists but could offer a unique, goose bump, spine tingling experience because you would have the sites all to yourself due to the present circumstances, creating a once in a life time opportunity? Aman properties are already pretty tranquile, it's more about the touring around and having those private experiences.
I think Amansara is a pretty big no-brainer for this one!
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I think Amansara is a pretty big no-brainer for this one!
Amansara offers exclusive access to Angkor Wat during non COVID times. What am I unaware of, that should steer me in this direction as the one place to go due to reduced crowds?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by phant0m
Tagged! Hoping to be able to go to one this year.
Would be nice! To be fair no idea at the moment which one it would be most probably.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Amansara offers exclusive access to Angkor Wat during non COVID times. What am I unaware of, that should steer me in this direction as the one place to go due to reduced crowds?
I'm not sure you are right here, assuming you are talking about the temple called Angkor Wat rather than the entire Angkor complex which includes dozens of other temples, including Angkor Thom and Ta Prohm etc. Amansara guides can take you on a sunrise trip to Angkor Wat which avoids the crowds by going in the back door so that you look down the causeway towards the crowds and not back up the causeway along with 5000 other folk [see photo]. Amansara guides can also take you to outlying temples which stand a good chance of being empty apart from yourself. This has been my experience.

On my first trip to Angkor in 1992 - long before Amansara opened - I would guess there were less than 50 people on the entire site. It would be something to have that solitude again [see photo].

I do agree that this would be the best Aman to visit in the lull before the storm with Amanjiwo and Amantaka coming second and third. I've no interest at all in their beach resorts anymore, apart from Amanpulo . . . maybe.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 7, 2021 at 2:55 am
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:31 am

Before COVID, Astrid mentioned that it gets harder every year for Sara to create this untouched magic of various temples due to the steady influx of more and more tourists, especially from China. I am a bit surprised there is talk of "exclusive" access to Angkor Wat here, how would that be? All guides (and each guest has their own) know the area very well and are able to customise to avoid crowds, but it also means getting up early. For their famed "Temple Dinner" it's a different story as Sara secures exclusive rights to this temple indeed.

Adding to this thread, I think Borobudur and JIWO would also be fantastic, as tends to get crowded as well.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
YES ! Here is to a new year filled with new travel opportunities!

A very popular Aman property for US travelers is AMANYARA in Turks & Caicos.
It has easy entry requirements in that it is just a 5 day neg.PCR covid and insurance.
You submit and get your authorization form

The best part of all is that they are offering the SEASON OF DISCOVERY package in the PEAK winter season!

In the past I never recall it being offered prior to Easter & I don't imagine you will see this offered again in peak season

It's a perfect romantic getaway. I would suggest a minimum of the Ocean Pavilion as you will find that you will end up being inspired to spend time enjoying your luxurious room.
My personal favorite is the Ocean Cove Pavilion as you will have your own private ocean access.
The food is the best on the island and of course service is what you expect from AMAN, they know who you are and anticipate every desire.

Holly Lombardo
Atlanta GA
Virtuoso and all the rest....

Last edited by H.Lombardo; Jan 12, 2021 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias

On my first trip to Angkor in 1992 - long before Amansara opened - I would guess there were less than 50 people on the entire site. It would be something to have that solitude again [see photo].

I do agree that this would be the best Aman to visit in the lull before the storm with Amanjiwo and Amantaka coming second and third. I've no interest at all in their beach resorts anymore, apart from Amanpulo . . . maybe.
Absolutely adore your old (& new) photographs, already noted that in the thread on Bora Bora and HBB.
I wonder — has anyone been to Pulo lately? After their countless service hiccups, COVID hit and I wonder if post pandemic they will find back to their old strengths.
Reading through this year’s Gallivanter’s Club Awards Issue, I realised how much I miss Pulo and the team there. Combined with a cultural Aman, this could be a terrific trip.

Originally Posted by H.Lombardo
YES ! Here is to a new year filled with new travel opportunities!

A very popular Aman property for US travelers is AMANYARA in Turks & Caicos.

It has easy entry requirements in that it is just a 5 day neg.PCR covid and insurance.

You submit and get your authorization form and you are ready to go!
I cherish many TAs here, especially BESVISOR, DavidO, chinmoylad, ABG. They all have in common that they share their tremendous knowledge with us, even without a constant sales push. Maybe you should consider that approach as well?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Most of these photographers (I was one of them when I visited), camp out there for the sunrise, when the light is best for photos. Some get there hours before in high season. They gather near the watering hole to rehydrate after a long migration get the reflection of Angkor. Whatever Amansara can secure, it can't really satisfy a peaceful morning visit, unless it is in complete darkness.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think the direction of this thread seemingly has more to do with destination that Aman specifically. Visiting Angkor with spare crowds a-la 1992 would be great at any nice hotel. Of course staying at Amansara may make that better (have not been myself), but it is the destination that is overrun. Other than New Years at Amanwella two years ago, I have never felt that I suffered because of the crowds at Aman specifically. In fact, a decent share of the reason we stay at Amans is because we know it will be quite calm at the resort relative to other offerings (think Amandari vs FS Sayan).

So while Angkor and Venice would both be high on my list if I could personnaly visit now, it would be to see those destinations without tourists moreso than the specific hotel.

I will also say, that having just come from Marrakech / Amanjena, I somewhat missed the crowds. Amanjena was lovely (at 70% capacity), but the Medina was not the same
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I think the direction of this thread seemingly has more to do with destination that Aman specifically. Visiting Angkor with spare crowds a-la 1992 would be great at any nice hotel. Of course staying at Amansara may make that better (have not been myself), but it is the destination that is overrun. Other than New Years at Amanwella two years ago, I have never felt that I suffered because of the crowds at Aman specifically. In fact, a decent share of the reason we stay at Amans is because we know it will be quite calm at the resort relative to other offerings (think Amandari vs FS Sayan).

So while Angkor and Venice would both be high on my list if I could personnaly visit now, it would be to see those destinations without tourists moreso than the specific hotel.

I will also say, that having just come from Marrakech / Amanjena, I somewhat missed the crowds. Amanjena was lovely (at 70% capacity), but the Medina was not the same
Not any nice hotel for us , but an AMAN or AZ connected , or some place like Lupaia ( closed for the season like some others - Zoe , .. )
Then Astrid is no more at AMAN , let alone Jena !

Would even be in Bali now though not our preferred season - Kila & the Villas at Nusa Dua .. but for & since borders still closed , also to Philippines , Vietnam .. & to return to 2 weeks quarantine at goodness knows which government designated hotel . Not our cup of tea especially on return if not to at least a SLA ( Shangri La ) for instance .

Even joining ex FTer bhrubin at Giri is not possible , with situation in California , though enticing !!

Flights , lack thereof , are an issue too . But see lots of private jets , one just flew by . Maybe penalised for wrongful entry though unless one figures out an essential service or “ diplomatic “ 😉 trip !!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 7, 2021 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:38 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by uclabruin82

How was your stay at Jena? I'm sure you ran into Astrid there ... It's almost like you got to partially visit Sara. lol.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jan 7, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:44 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
FlyerEC I hope when you're able to, do go see the new Parrot Cay (PC). I know I sound like a broken record since my recent return visit to PC and Yara but PC is just getting better and better under Tapa's watch.
Since my return and review in Dec. I've had more than a handful of clients / forum members ask me about Yara and PC, I've booked all clients at PC since and advised non client members to lean to PC as well (given their personal tastes).
Not saying that PC is perfect or anything but for Turks, the best service (esp. in beach houses or villas) and perhaps most Aman like. Yes, even compared to Yara (unless you're in a villa).

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jan 7, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.