FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - if you had begun staying in luxury hotels sooner than you did
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:45 pm
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EuropeanPete, did you do chain hotels in mid 90s instead of peninsula, mandarin oriental, aman?
"The Oriental Bangkok under Kurt" - he retired may 31 2009
i did include this, due to posts from Pausanias and obscure2k, and a few other regulars here >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
of course certain countries / areas as well, for example some great comments about FS damascus here

perhaps doing luxury photographic african safaris earlier in their development, or buying out luxury hunting safaris then not hunting

i also recall for example Pausanias talking about hotel bora bora (became aman) before area was developed
soneva fushi maldives opening in 1995 might be similar in terms of being before development
caribbean and to a lesser extent hawaii are similar, dont recall development history
a major part of why i said aman starting in the 90s is the destinations. other than aman, i would have been focused on destinations, and luxury/etc did exist. assuming i was too late at that point for CIGA etc. my mention of aman did not have anything to do with ownership of aman, nor anything to do with other luxury hotel companies.

pstm91, i suspect you could have chosen to spend some on luxury hotels after you were "14 or 15" - looking back, would you have? or was it otherwise enjoyably spent?

i would change [almost all] of my spending. specifically re luxury travel i did: skip most, possibly do more of a few, definitely do every aman. now due to budget i will only do 1 aman (giri)

feltrinelli only opened in 2001 after i believe a quite long renovation by bob burns after he sold regent to four seasons

as i later clarified, my question was only about starting earlier in one's life
i did not spend much time deciding on: "if you had begun" to indicate that

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2022 at 9:23 pm