Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Glad you were at Tandjung Sari , hope the food is as delicious as before too . Stayed before AMANs happened on the island & went back for some meals years ago .

Yes , Ernst has been on the move domestically .. sorry that you missed him . But that will be Agus you spoke with .
The villas and wellness centre is stalled , very disappointed too .
The villas were supposed to be on the next hill , so thankfully will not infringe on the present site .
But it will be years from the looks of it if anything does move ..

Staffing has been an issue due to early these retirements along with the current global situation . Those who were “ furloughed “ , will be invited to return when the situation is clearer .
Everyone is hoping that there will be good news in July . We shall see and hope with fingers crossed that all will be well .

Since Shane L moved on , the chefs have been trying hard , some succeeding , some not so much due to those retirements , thus is the state of the affairs .
Perhaps you can try order off menu , ask about yours & their favourite dishes .. AMANs is home style meals anyway not known for Michelin type , as least they were not in original AMAN ethos

Michel B is on-site at the Nusa Dua Villas though - stay there ! There are villas available this week
But will be busy end June & likely higher occupancy the following months too .
Indeed the food at Tandjung Sari is still very much excellent! I am frankly with the food quality at Kila, which I felt was excellent (very glad that I still can order the Moroccan Donuts off menu! ), although anything else off menu likely required an order in advance probably due to the reduced staffing.

Unfortunately, the food we had for dinner at Dari was just underwhelming. The soup was served lukewarm and the quality of ingredients didn't seem very good. I'm at Dari for the next few days, and will follow up. Sadly the hotel is absolutely deserted.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Indeed the food at Tandjung Sari is still very much excellent! I am frankly with the food quality at Kila, which I felt was excellent (very glad that I still can order the Moroccan Donuts off menu! ), although anything else off menu likely required an order in advance probably due to the reduced staffing.

Unfortunately, the food we had for dinner at Dari was just underwhelming. The soup was served lukewarm and the quality of ingredients didn't seem very good. I'm at Dari for the next few days, and will follow up. Sadly the hotel is absolutely deserted.
Dari used to have the best food , even babi guling , but has really slipped the past years .
Being deserted is not surprising , seems like my stays at Puri after the tsunami ..

Relieved and pleased that one of my favourite daily breakfast items at Kila is still prepared well & delicious , hope the baked eggs are too , like they used to excel in it at Amanusa .

Also pleased that Tandjung Sari is holding up and did not disappoint .

Hoping we can return soon to Bali .

Enjoy your stay - sure hope things improve at Dari 🤞🏻 ! Not AMAN like ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 14, 2021 at 4:28 am
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just saw this pop across my Instagram feed - The Essentials by Aman - looks to be an activewear line

https://www.aman.com/the-aman-collection/essentials
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:55 pm

Dari used to have the best food , even babi guling , but has really slipped the past years .
Being deserted is not surprising , seems like my stays at Puri after the tsunami ..

Relieved and pleased that one of my favourite daily breakfast items at Kila is still prepared well & delicious , hope the baked eggs are too , like they used to excel in it at Amanusa .

Also pleased that Tandjung Sari is holding up and did not disappoint .

Hoping we can return soon to Bali .

Enjoy your stay - sure hope things improve at Dari 🤞🏻 ! Not AMAN like ..

Hope Dari’s food will improve after all this is over. My breakfast at Dari was fresh and made to order this morning, so I’m quite happy! The menu seems to be very millennial right now, with avocado toast and smoothie bowls and what not.

Unfortunately, the baked eggs seemed to be absent from Kila’s menu although, much like the donuts I’d assume it’s still available to order off menu...

thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Just saw this pop across my Instagram feed - The Essentials by Aman - looks to be an activewear line

https://www.aman.com/the-aman-collection/essentials
I actually chanced upon some of these a few days ago at the boutique at Dari. They have the activewear and swimwear in stock. The grey activewear with the aman logo were absolutely hideous to see in person.

I am in the market for a new pair of swim trunks and was surprised to see that they were Aman branded (although featured a collaboration with some Italian designer). They looked nice enough, but something about it being aman branded made it seem absurd.

I mean the skincare line was already too much, but this just adds salt to a wound. What were they thinking???
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I actually chanced upon some of these a few days ago at the boutique at Dari. They have the activewear and swimwear in stock. The grey activewear with the aman logo were absolutely hideous to see in person.

I am in the market for a new pair of swim trunks and was surprised to see that they were Aman branded (although featured a collaboration with some Italian designer). They looked nice enough, but something about it being aman branded made it seem absurd.

I mean the skincare line was already too much, but this just adds salt to a wound. What were they thinking???
The website is pretty scant on details, but I think I already pay enough for Nike, Under Armour, Lululemon, etc. I can’t imagine the price with the Aman logo (nor would I care to buy)

Orlebar Brown did a nice collab with Mandarin Oriental, I was tempted to buy the swim trunks with the fan logo though
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:59 am

Is there anything they are not putting their shiny new logo on these days? What's next?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by scented
Is there anything they are not putting their shiny new logo on these days? What's next?
I wouldn't be surprised if they started selling $1000 Aman branded Tibetan Singing Bowls... or better yet, a pair of headphones or speakers inspired by Tibetan Singing Bowls in collaboration with Bang and Olufsen playing Bhutanese prayers nonstop (of course with a AMAN replacing all the Tibetan/Dzongka text) ... cause it's all about blingy branded stuff nowadays smh
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Cannot recall if posted previously , but both Dari and Wana do not have GMs & will remain as such .. The other GMs , primarily Ernst L , cover them too by taking some time including overnights at Wana .
Also , Wana has been on mainly exclusive buyout arrangements . This began before the pandemic which is rather good timing .
If going as FITs , then certain days of the month maybe opened up but only if requests for a certain number of tents .
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:40 pm

Cannot recall if posted previously , but both Dari and Wana do not have GMs & will remain as such .. The other GMs , primarily Ernst L , cover them too by taking some time including overnights at Wana .
Also , Wana has been on mainly exclusive buyout arrangements . This began before the pandemic which is rather good timing .
If going as FITs , then certain days of the month maybe opened up but only if requests for a certain number of tents .
Glad to know Ernst is there and huge respect that he's running the show 'alone' there, hopefully Kila family will be of great support as usual.

While it is understandable that he's overseeing both/all properties there during the pandemic, I hope they'll assign a new GM to Dari once Bali recovers... just when is the question. When Dari has higher occupancy again, it will not be viable to let it run on autopilot, that would result in some dreadful stays.

I just also noticed that neither Dari nor Kila have received the Arva / Nama / Lounge " treatment " ... which I personally don't mind but it shows that they don't seem to be of great (financial) interest to Aman HQ these days. Spa also on hold... they're not getting a lot of love. Maybe time to rethink.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:09 am

Glad to know Ernst is there and huge respect that he's running the show 'alone' there, hopefully Kila family will be of great support as usual.

While it is understandable that he's overseeing both/all properties there during the pandemic, I hope they'll assign a new GM to Dari once Bali recovers... just when is the question. When Dari has higher occupancy again, it will not be viable to let it run on autopilot, that would result in some dreadful stays.

I just also noticed that neither Dari nor Kila have received the Arva / Nama / Lounge " treatment " ... which I personally don't mind but it shows that they don't seem to be of great (financial) interest to Aman HQ these days. Spa also on hold... they're not getting a lot of love. Maybe time to rethink.
Ernst definitely deserves huge respect.

I probably need time to embrace the Arvas and the Namas but keeping them called the "Restaurant" sure do give a more rustic, home-made feel. Having said that, Dari's F&B could probably benefit from the treatment given how deserted the place is nowadays. Kila is probably too far away for those named restaurants to generate any significant outside revenue.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

utahbusiness.com/how-homi-vazifdar-founded-utahs-amangiri-resort/
I told Henkel that there was only one man (and his brand) that could realize this dream: Adrian Zecha
had to post this, sorry i'm not back
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Is there an opening date in place for Aman NY yet?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Is there an opening date in place for Aman NY yet?
Nothing official. Early next year. I am not interested ...
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nothing official. Early next year. I am not interested ...
Can't say I'm totally uninterested
But I doubt I will be in NYC soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.