Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
We had a truly great stay there a few years back (3 or 4 now???). The architecture of the island remains spectacular, and it is one of my favourite hotels anywhere in terms of design. So sad. The puzzling thing is that the locals seem to be upset about Queen's beach? Which isn't even the beach in front of the island or Villa Milocer, it is the next beach North of King's beach which is in front of Villa Milocer. There must be other issues going on there...
Old May 25, 2021, 9:47 am

Aman Cavtat was delayed for a few years due to similar local protests, but it now seems it is going ahead. Same owner as Aman SS, too. Curious.
Old May 26, 2021, 1:06 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Aman Cavtat was delayed for a few years due to similar local protests, but it now seems it is going ahead. Same owner as Aman SS, too. Curious.
I was on the construction site a few years back (even posted some pictures on this board), seemed like a terrible location wedged between two roads, right under the final approach path of Dubrovnik airport. Makes no sense for Aman, but then again, many things they do these days don’t make much sense.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have noticed that Amanzoe is basically sold out now for the summer and rates at Amanruya are much more expensive during the dates of my stay than when I had booked. I wonder how much of this is to people just being willing to travel now vs people with reservations at SS going to a different Aman. Probably good news for the new O&O...
Old May 27, 2021, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
I was on the construction site a few years back (even posted some pictures on this board), seemed like a terrible location wedged between two roads, right under the final approach path of Dubrovnik airport. Makes no sense for Aman, but then again, many things they do these days don’t make much sense.
I agree about the location. I saw it, too, and wondered about its suitability. Common sense is none too common these days....
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Just came back from Amandari for a light dinner. The hotel is still incredibly kept, although I can’t help but feel the food is very uninspiring and rather underwhelming...

Has it been that way for awhile?

although it does seem the hotel is very short staffed... there was only one poor lady doing all the job handling both the restaurant and bar

also deserted compared to the Mandapa next door... which is crowded by today’s standards
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Just came back from Amandari for a light dinner. The hotel is still incredibly kept, although I can’t help but feel the food is very uninspiring and rather underwhelming...

Has it been that way for awhile?

although it does seem the hotel is very short staffed... there was only one poor lady doing all the job handling both the restaurant and bar

also deserted compared to the Mandapa next door... which is crowded by today’s standards
So very interesting, thank you for the update on Dari...

May I ask if you are Indonesia based or how did you get to Dari? I really hope that they do indeed reopen in July. Having access to Kila and Nusa Villas would be a dream indeed.

I suspect they are operating on a skeleton crew, I just hope they'll ask everyone back once the market recovers.

Edit: Mind you the last time I stayed at Dari, chef Bernhard was in charge and I found the food rather underwhelming, with the exception of some really good pastries. I heard that Jann Hess tried to raise F&B standards, but not sure if he succeeded. Maybe @FlyerEC knows?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by scented

May I ask if you are Indonesia based or how did you get to Dari? I really hope that they do indeed reopen in July. Having access to Kila and Nusa Villas would be a dream indeed.

I suspect they are operating on a skeleton crew, I just hope they'll ask everyone back once the market recovers.

Edit: Mind you the last time I stayed at Dari, chef Bernhard was in charge and I found the food rather underwhelming, with the exception of some really good pastries. I heard that Jann Hess tried to raise F&B standards, but not sure if he succeeded. Maybe @FlyerEC knows?
of course! My family has historical ties to the country, and I hold a residency permit that allows me to enter.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn’t sure if Jann was on property during my visit, but the quality of food definitely wasn’t good as Kila - so I suspect his goal has yet to be realised. Although admittedly the bread was rather nice.

Likewise, I hope everyone comes back after recovery.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Last time I spoke with him Jann had moved to Amanjiwo.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Last time I spoke with him Jann had moved to Amanjiwo.
oh that makes a lot of sense
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:54 am

Yes, he's at Jiwo, I wonder if Dari has a new GM already.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I thought Jann moved a while back to Amanjiwo - Mark Wright was GM at Amandari when I was there and that was November 2019. The Wright family also left Amanjiwo (moved to an Auberge property in Costa Rica) some time last year or earlier this year.

Agree that food at Amandari wasn't at the same level as Kila during last stay as well - curious to know how soem of these properties are doing with a new target.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: some
Last time I was there (January 2020) the food was good without being 'special'. Think, comfort food of a high standard. (Had the best of many meals over the years at Mozaic at the time though!)
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:52 pm

I just checked out from Kila recently and spending time at the old Tandjung Sari in Sanur. Had a few hiccups, but overall a very good stay. Ernst was unfortunately not on property throughout the time -- apparently he is now handling both Dari and Kila for as long as Dari is looking for a GM. I was talking to someone who might have been a front officer manager at Kila (I forgot to ask), and he explained that there have been many early retirements and occupancy remains low (20% in March, around 30% nowadays). I was under the impression that Amans are used to having rather low occupancies, but I guess not. Really sad either way.

Additionally, I brought up the topic of the supposedly upcoming Amankila Villas and spa facilities, and apparently he had no idea if it was actually going to happen or not. He claimed the hotel only found out when the press released showing up. There is no development on that front.

I'm not sure what others think, but Amankila Villas sounds like a terrible idea.

Unexpectedly, I have to go back to Ubud tomorrow and would be staying at Amandari.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I just checked out from Kila recently and spending time at the old Tandjung Sari in Sanur. Had a few hiccups, but overall a very good stay. Ernst was unfortunately not on property throughout the time -- apparently he is now handling both Dari and Kila for as long as Dari is looking for a GM. I was talking to someone who might have been a front officer manager at Kila (I forgot to ask), and he explained that there have been many early retirements and occupancy remains low (20% in March, around 30% nowadays). I was under the impression that Amans are used to having rather low occupancies, but I guess not. Really sad either way.

Additionally, I brought up the topic of the supposedly upcoming Amankila Villas and spa facilities, and apparently he had no idea if it was actually going to happen or not. He claimed the hotel only found out when the press released showing up. There is no development on that front.

I'm not sure what others think, but Amankila Villas sounds like a terrible idea.

Unexpectedly, I have to go back to Ubud tomorrow and would be staying at Amandari.

Glad you were at Tandjung Sari , hope the food is as delicious as before too . Stayed before AMANs happened on the island & went back for some meals years ago .

Yes , Ernst has been on the move domestically .. sorry that you missed him . But that will be Agus you spoke with .
The villas and wellness centre is stalled , very disappointed too .
The villas were supposed to be on the next hill , so thankfully will not infringe on the present site .
But it will be years from the looks of it if anything does move ..

Staffing has been an issue due to early these retirements along with the current global situation . Those who were “ furloughed “ , will be invited to return when the situation is clearer .
Everyone is hoping that there will be good news in July . We shall see and hope with fingers crossed that all will be well .

Since Shane L moved on , the chefs have been trying hard , some succeeding , some not so much due to those retirements , thus is the state of the affairs .
Perhaps you can try order off menu , ask about yours & their favourite dishes .. AMANs is home style meals anyway not known for Michelin type , as least they were not in original AMAN ethos

Michel B is on-site at the Nusa Dua Villas though - stay there ! There are villas available this week
But will be busy end June & likely higher occupancy the following months too .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 13, 2021 at 4:38 am Reason: iPad typo , add information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.