Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: some
> for my honeymoon next week It will be our first (but hopefully not last)

I misread that ;-)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:18 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Aman in pop culture....for those Curb Your Enthusiasm fans out there. Season 11, Episode 3. At the end of the episode at the hot dog eating contest Larry is wearing an Amanyara hat. Unfortunately cannot tell if it says Amanjunkie on the back.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by A4K
Aman in pop culture....for those Curb Your Enthusiasm fans out there. Season 11, Episode 3. At the end of the episode at the hot dog eating contest Larry is wearing an Amanyara hat. Unfortunately cannot tell if it says Amanjunkie on the back.
I wonder if Larry David actually went there or something from the props department.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:41 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
New Amanjunkie shirt?

We stayed last month at Amanemu. I jokingly pointed out to GM Noriko Tanaka that we've been to 16 Amans and it's been a while since we last received Amanjunkie t-shirts (and hats.)

Well, lo and behold, today in the mail arrived two Amanjunkie shirts! One for me, and one for Mrs. KI-NRT. It came with a small pouch as well as a letter from Noriko - she apologized for the delay in getting us the goods, and mentioned that these are a new shirt design that just came in (and hence the delay.) Not sure how recent the new design actually is, but it's definitely a big departure from the ones we received at Amanpulo, Aman Sveti Stefan and Amankora.

Btw, the fabric looks to be of higher quality. It's not a cotton shirt that will quickly lose its shape after several uses. It's more of a quick-dry variety, is breezier (i.e. cooler) and a bit on the stretchy side... definitely more comfortable to wear, especially on hot Summer days. One other thing to note. The front of the shirt is plain white; the "Amanjunkie" logo is on the back of the shirt.

Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:17 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We stayed last month at Amanemu. I jokingly pointed out to GM Noriko Tanaka that we've been to 16 Amans and it's been a while since we last received Amanjunkie t-shirts (and hats.)

Well, lo and behold, today in the mail arrived two Amanjunkie shirts! One for me, and one for Mrs. KI-NRT. It came with a small pouch as well as a letter from Noriko - she apologized for the delay in getting us the goods, and mentioned that these are a new shirt design that just came in (and hence the delay.) Not sure how recent the new design actually is, but it's definitely a big departure from the ones we received at Amanpulo, Aman Sveti Stefan and Amankora.

Btw, the fabric looks to be of higher quality. It's not a cotton shirt that will quickly lose its shape after several uses. It's more of a quick-dry variety, is breezier (i.e. cooler) and a bit on the stretchy side... definitely more comfortable to wear, especially on hot Summer days. One other thing to note. The front of the shirt is plain white; the "Amanjunkie" logo is on the back of the shirt.

Oh the mysterious tales of the Amanjunkie t-shirt. I have been told by a few GM's that there is (or at least was) no Aman issued shirt and each hotel is basically on their own for trying to make them. For example I asked about them in India and they said they had never actually seen one and would be difficult for them to put together due to how remote they are. The one I received in Indonesia (my next stay after asking in India, I still have no idea how they knew, they just told me they know everything) was just a standard shirt they sold and they stitched Amanjunkie on it. Now this was a few years ago, so maybe home office is producing them now and are standard? Will need to find out.

At one time years ago there was a hashtag on instagram that I think one person used that was #amanjunkienoshirtyet, which I always found amusing. I can't seem to pull it up now.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hard to believe almost 8 years since 2014 sale of aman, prior sale was 2007

re shirt, could be forgetting, but dont recall posts re changes after 2007 sale
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:05 am

VD distances himself from Russian aggression on Ukraine

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Ukraine.html

Glad to hear this – even as an Amanjunkie, I was starting to feel uneasy about returning to Amankila in April...
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I wonder if Larry David actually went there or something from the props department.
Friend of mine overlapped with him at Amangiri, so he may in fact be a "junkie" but who knows in the case of the episode...
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

two (aman) Hotel Bora Bora bungalows being turned into 1BR rental (in great location?)
wsj.com/story/how-a-nostalgic-bora-bora-inspired-the-islands-most-exclusive-stay-8bd5648b
wsj.com/articles/bora-boras-exclusive-new-hotel-11643979072
coquicoqui.com/borabora
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-151.7654797

set and filmed at amanyara >
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_%26_Caicos_(film)
tpt.org/worricker-on-masterpiece/video/masterpiece-worricker-what-turks-caicos/
second half of that trailer is Bill Nighy and Christopher Walken at amanyara

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2022 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pstm91
Soft opening end of April, official opening in May.
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Greetings from Parrot Cay! Just enjoyed lunch and afternoon drinks with the legend himself, Tapa (Pulo + S.S./EU). I'm sure some of the junkies here miss seeing him at an Aman

Back on topic...Can also confirm the unspoken target is April soft opening and May, officially.
Fingers crossed for constructions to go smoothly here at the end of the race.
Originally Posted by pstm91
Friend of mine overlapped with him at Amangiri, so he may in fact be a "junkie" but who knows in the case of the episode...
I, too, was at Giri as the same time as him. Unless your friend also went in March '21, seems like he frequents Giri - which is likely given the proximity to LA.

This was from 2018. I'd guess it's his hat
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We stayed last month at Amanemu.
How was your stay?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:21 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by hijiji
How was your stay?
We really enjoyed Amanemu. It's relatively fresh and new, and in a secluded location with good (though not spectacular) views. The staff were attentive and efficient. The GM (Noriko Tanaka) was wonderful, although I was just notified that she is "retiring" at the end of March to spend time with her family in Hong Kong.

The kaiseki dinner course was wonderful. In fact, after Aman Kyoto's Taka-An, I'd say that it has the second best F&B offerings in Aman's portfolio of properties, assuming you get the course. They focus on the high-quality and bountiful local ingredients, including Ise Spiny Lobster, Abalone and Matsusaka Beef (which, by the way, is less marketed but higher rated than Kobe Beef in Japan.) If you go a-la carte, it's still pretty good.

To get around the property, there are golf carts, but - unlike Amanpulo - you will need to be driven by staff, which is probably the safe and sane arrangement given the reckless driving behavior that we've experienced by some guests at resorts that allow customers to drive themselves around.

We booked a Sora Suite ("Sora" means "Sky" in Japanese and Sora-designated rooms have the best views of Ago Bay), but were upgraded to a Nagi Villa. Nagi rooms have less impressive views, but the Villas are stand-alone (non-Villas rooms are in pairs, duplex style) and are absolutely massive. While the Villas are primarily offered as 2BR accommodations, when there are no guests staying in a villa and people are upgraded to it, then make one of the two bedrooms accessible. But even then, it's a gigantic ~200 square meters, complete with a huge Onsen (natural hot springs) bath and two bathrooms. Given that we can enjoy views from other areas on the property, and had better views (than even the Sora Suites & Villas) at other accommodations on the Kii Peninsula, especially Kisara Bettei Toki), we didn't mind.

On our one full day at Amanemu, we simply rented bicycles and explored the area. There's nothing really amazing nearby (especially given that flowers were not in full bloom), but it was a good thing to do for a few hours. The rest of the time was spent in the room, and jumping in and out of the Onsen bath. Due to COVID precautions, we didn't avail ourselves to any of the spa treatments.

We did not partake in any of the Aman-arranged activities - we are fluent/literate in Japanese, and have our own car. But, looking at the activity list, some of it might be interesting, but nothing that's a "must do." In fact, if you're in a rushed itinerary and would like to use Amanemu as a base for killer nearby sightseeing, you may come away disappointed. The only major place of interest is Ise Jingu Grand Shrine, which is arguably the most important Shrine in all of Japan and worth a visit (although be aware that it's a far less Instagrammable place than, say, the more blingy Nikko Toshogu, Izumo Taisha or Senso-ji in Asakusa (Tokyo.) That said, all of the attractions on the Peninsula (Koyasan, Toba, the network of Kumano Kodo trails, the "big three" Kumano Shrines, Yoshino for Cherry Blossom viewing, etc.) are really spread out anyway, so this is not unique just to Amanemu. It was a place that worked for us, though. We were on a 6 day road trip through the entire (massive) Kii Peninsula (which comprises of Nara, Mie and Wakayama Prefectures), where we visited various sites along the network of Kumado Kodo pilgrimmage trail, visited the very picturesque Kumano Nachi Taisha and Kumano Hongu Taisha), and did some hiking around the area as well. We broke up the trip by relaxing for 2 nights at Amanemu, and it worked perfectly for us.

So... is it an amazing, "must-stay" property? Not in the way that Amanjiwo or Amangiri are, nor is it a destination in and of itself, like Amanpulo or the "Amankora Journey" itinerary of the 5 properties in Bhutan. But if you're going to be in the are anyway (and there are many reasons to do so), and have some time to spare, it's a very good choice and most certainly the best option in the Ise-Shima region of the Kii Peninsula. Note that while it does have some Ryokan-style elements, if you stay at Amanemu in lieu of a luxury Ryokan, you will not be getting the full Ryokan experience if that's something you're after.

P.S. - I recently posted a comprehensive review (along with photos) at TripAdvisor under the same handle.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by A4K
Oh the mysterious tales of the Amanjunkie t-shirt. I have been told by a few GM's that there is (or at least was) no Aman issued shirt and each hotel is basically on their own for trying to make them. For example I asked about them in India and they said they had never actually seen one and would be difficult for them to put together due to how remote they are. The one I received in Indonesia (my next stay after asking in India, I still have no idea how they knew, they just told me they know everything) was just a standard shirt they sold and they stitched Amanjunkie on it. Now this was a few years ago, so maybe home office is producing them now and are standard? Will need to find out.

At one time years ago there was a hashtag on instagram that I think one person used that was #amanjunkienoshirtyet, which I always found amusing. I can't seem to pull it up now.
The Indonesian AMANs have Amanjunkie T shirts . Now the Amanusa ones are especially precious .
Each batch was “ different “ as they were possibly trying different suppliers through the years , we have given feedback

Each one was unique back then with their own colours & font ..
So have Dari , Jiwo , Kila , Nusa and Wana .. think no Nusa Villas - perhaps time for another inventory check ..

Pulo had different ones one year , including polos . Sadly the sizing was off for the womens in particular - lovely to look at though !

Puri ‘ s was originally only in white until they added black ones . Theirs are the only ones which do not identify the property

Think none at Galla & Wella but they do ( did ? ) have lovely totes ( as do the Indon ones & different from the beach “ baskets / bags “ )

Nemu and other Japanese AMANs did not have Amanjunkie T shirts .
Nemu had one to commemorate her opening .
Glad we have those in cotton , preferred fabric .

Sad that Noriko is retiring but pleased that she has decided to have family together as one & be with them all the time .
Will miss her .. perhaps see her in HK when the situation improves & border ( s ) open up sans quarantine.

Appreciate the kindness she accorded us especially on our dramatic last stay after the RWC weekend

Thanks for sharing KI-NRT
We should try visit the Ise Jingu Grand Shrine , but often just too “ busy “ like in the spa & on one when we were hoping , some holiday made it unwise to join the crowds .

The smaller one gift from Nemu on our last stay .. bought other from the craftsman who does work for them .. should visit his workshop “ nearby “

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:13 pm

Which AMAN?

Deciding which Aman to visit next, we’ll be visiting roughly around February/April 2023. I have the choice between one of the below three. Which would you recommend based on weather in Feb to April and resort as a whole?
- Amanzoe
- Amanjiwo
- Amanbagh
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by traveluxe
Deciding which Aman to visit next, we’ll be visiting roughly around February/April 2023. I have the choice between one of the below three.
I believe that Amanzoe is closed every winter. This year, it reopens on April 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.