Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:44 am

Speaking of the Palace, there's a superb French restaurant on the top floor, that does this dessert "Piano Chocolate". The most intricately prepared miniature grand piano made out of tiny pieces of chocolate.

Piano Chocolate
FlyerEC, ajca, MattEvan and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
I have stayed at the Palace in an entry-level room last November and really enjoyed my stay there.
Decent hardware and room size, very friendly and excellent service with true Japanese hospitality. Club level guests receive a great welcome check-in by getting whisked straight to the lounge (which I received accidentally due to a misunderstanding of my name by the bell man when I entered the hotel). I enjoyed sitting outside during breakfast in balmy weather, the buffet was of excellent quality.
I remember getting served my fav Italian sparkling wine, a "Ca Del Bosco Cuvee Prestige Brut Franciacorta" at 'Grand Kitchen' which came by happy surprise to spend part of my Virtuoso credit on. My waiter even had toured the winery in Northern Italy. Overall a very nice luxury property at a slightly lower price point than the top level properties in TYO.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I also like the relaxing location right next to Imperial Gardens. It is in walking distance to Aman Tokyo (where I stayed afterwards) and Tokyo Station.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:36 pm

Nice to see the Palace get some love here.

Underrated Hotels in Tokyo: Imperial, Palace, Hoshinoya.

Overrated: Aman, Pen, MO. The categorization of the Pen’s lobby as a ‘zoo’ above is spot on. What a miserable lobby to walk through.
747FC and Offshore171 like this.

Last edited by MattEvan; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ajca
(or the zoo atmosphere of lobby of the nearby Peninsula!)
Originally Posted by MattEvan
The categorization of the Pen’s lobby as a ‘zoo’ above is spot on. What a miserable lobby to walk through.
I'm very curious how any luxury hotel can have a zoo-like lobby. Is there something about the interior design or use that creates this problem? A hot bar with Crazy Rich Asians (movie reference--not racist )?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Nice to see the Palace get some love here.

Underrated Hotels in Tokyo: Imperial, Palace, Hoshinoya.
Yes totally with you on the Imperial and Palace. Not familiar with the Hoshinoya.

The Imperial seems to be not so well known to the western market, but it has a real vibe to it, partly due to the location, but also the lobby where there always seems to be things going on. Great for people watching. I've had an extended stay there, as it is the hotel used by my employer for Tokyo.

The Palace is also a great option with excellent proximity to Tokyo station as well as the metro. The hotel itself is very high quality, and probably has the best selection of on-premises restaurants in Tokyo. Rooms are smaller than say the Conrad (which has usually large rooms for Tokyo) but that seems to be a function of location. The closer you get to Tokyo Station the smaller the room per $ ratio.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm very curious how any luxury hotel can have a zoo-like lobby.
Slightly OT, but you should check out the Peninsula HK. That should disabuse you of the notion about luxury hotels and sedate lobbies.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Slightly OT, but you should check out the Peninsula HK. That should disabuse you of the notion about luxury hotels and sedate lobbies.
Or, it should say something about how one defines luxury. Anyplace that was like a zoo quickly would be off my list of "luxury" hotels.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I'm very curious how any luxury hotel can have a zoo-like lobby. Is there something about the interior design or use that creates this problem? A hot bar with Crazy Rich Asians (movie reference--not racist )?
Small lobby with narrow walkway splitting two seating areas for the lobby cafe. Two small sitting areas/couches on each side of this walkway make it even smaller, when occupied. Two small alcoves on opposite ends of lobby housing the only actually important parts of a lobby (front desk and concierge). Tiny hallway for guest room elevators runs along the elevator bank, and is only open at one end into the front desk alcove. This hallway features a blind 135-degree turn to get to/from the lobby; FD agents must amuse themselves all day seeing how many guests can run into each other rounding that corner. Even worse, that tiny hallway features seating opposite the elevator bank; during check-in hours, guests waiting for their rooms along with all their bags will sit there, making the trek to/from the elevators an obstacle course.

On my stay, the service was even worse than the lobby. Needless to say, I don't believe the property deserves mention on this forum.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Currently at Prince Gallery because I wanted to give it another chance. Last time, there was a random girl sleeping in the hallway, who scared me on multiple occasions! Brought my wife and kid and told them that some FTers view it as an Aman Jr of sorts. It’s a solid, luxury hotel, but nothing to write home about. We feel like Aman and RC Club level are much better and Palace Hotel is a better value for money.

No more random girls sleeping in the halls, so that’s an improvement. But, I find it unlikely I’ll choose this again in the future.

Back to Aman Tokyo for the rest of the week, which we are excited for!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:44 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Offshore171
Yes totally with you on the Imperial and Palace. Not familiar with the Hoshinoya.
Hoshinoya did a ryokan style concept in Tokyo - Aman only pseudo did it, Hoshinoya went a step further.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:45 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Or, it should say something about how one defines luxury. Anyplace that was like a zoo quickly would be off my list of "luxury" hotels.
I really hate the Peninsula lobby, but I think that would be harsh to knock it off a 'luxury hotels' list because of its lobby - the hotel and its lobby was popular loooooooooooooooong before social media/Instagram etc. In fact, that's probably how it's always been (to an extent anyway) from its opening.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Small lobby with narrow walkway splitting two seating areas for the lobby cafe. Two small sitting areas/couches on each side of this walkway make it even smaller, when occupied. Two small alcoves on opposite ends of lobby housing the only actually important parts of a lobby (front desk and concierge). Tiny hallway for guest room elevators runs along the elevator bank, and is only open at one end into the front desk alcove. This hallway features a blind 135-degree turn to get to/from the lobby; FD agents must amuse themselves all day seeing how many guests can run into each other rounding that corner. Even worse, that tiny hallway features seating opposite the elevator bank; during check-in hours, guests waiting for their rooms along with all their bags will sit there, making the trek to/from the elevators an obstacle course.

On my stay, the service was even worse than the lobby. Needless to say, I don't believe the property deserves mention on this forum.
Yikes! Poor architectural design.

Thanks for the information/warning.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for a while after opening some here considered peninsula best city hotel in world
a while ago, at similar time frame, MO service was pretty poorly regarded here
for some time now it seems these respective reputations here have reversed

presumably peninsula and others saw many staff poached by new hotels
peninsula also opened shanghai and paris, opening GM retired dec 2015

aman is biggest room, hoshinoya good for jr suite
at hoshinoya could hope for an unoccupied floor

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 10, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman.com/resorts/aman-tokyo/seasonal-promotions
head chef Amantaka Laos 21-25 September

five granité cocktails Until September 17 ¥2,500 each

range of classic Ebisu drafts...Three beers come subtly infused with either cassis, mint or peach. The cocktails – the Shandy Gaff, Panache, and Red Eye...from 5pm. Until September 30...Free-flowing beers with appetisers ¥5,000 per person (120 minutes)
peninsula.com/en/tokyo/special-offers/dining/autumn-mooncakes
September 1 to 24, 2018.
JPY 5,088 for a box of eight pieces
peninsula.com/en/tokyo/special-offers/dining/peter-x-artisan-chefs-of-japan
DEN (Chef Zaiyu Hasegawa)two Michelin stars...The World’s 50 Best Restaurants
September 28 Dinner 7:00pm
September 29 Lunch 12:00 and Dinner at 7:00 pm

Aronia de Takazawa(Chef Yoshiaki Takazawa)
October 26 Dinner 7:00pm
October 27 Lunch 12:00 and Dinner at 7:00pm

FLORILÈGE (Chef Hiroyasu Kawate)two Michelin stars
November 30 Dinner 7:00pm
December 1 Lunch 12:00 and Dinner at 7:00pm

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
peninsula.com/en/tokyo/special-offers/dining/peter-x-artisan-chefs-of-japan
ROOM PACKAGE:

To fully enjoy this gastronomic experience, book the Peter x Artisan Chefs of Japan room package which includes the following benefits:
  • Accommodation for two in a Deluxe Room or Executive Suite
  • One dinner for two, valid for the night of the reservation
  • Breakfast for two
Room rates: JPY 148,000 for Deluxe Room / JPY 190,000 for Executive Suite

Validity: Valid for bookings starting from 22 May 2018, for stays on the following weekends: 31 August & 1 September, 28-29 September, 26-27 October, and 30 November & 1 December

Select stay dates in the window to check availability of this offer, or make a booking by contacting Room Reservations via email on [email protected] or by calling +81 3 6270 2288.

SEAT RESERVATION ONLY:

For seat reservation only, please contact Peter via email on [email protected] or by calling +81 3 6270 2763.

Price (valid for lunch and dinner):

JPY 47,000 per person / Seven courses inclusive of beverage pairing

* A special lunch price of JPY 35,000 inclusive of one welcome drink is also available

・Lunch at 12:00 pm on Saturdays / Dinner at 7:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.

Insane prices!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.