Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:52 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I was just trawling through https://www.whatahotel.com/ bored at work looking at ideas for Maldives for my birthday in April. Noticed that they are advertising both FS as having a $2500 room credit at time of booking for stays before 20 Dec.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

website (requires registration?) forgot to mention this >
ADDITIONAL RESORT CREDIT — USD 2,500 Book a 5-night stay in select categories and receive an additional USD 2,000 Resort Credit to enjoy all that this island has to offer. *Valid for travel now through December 20, 2018; Offer is applicable to bookings of Two-Bedroom and Three-Bedroom Suites only; Subject to availability; Other terms & conditions may apply.
so pretty much a joke vs 4th night free
unless 4th free doesnt apply to 2/3BR

Originally Posted by cathaana
Just checked Dertour Deluxe and they still do [50% off FS explorer] as long as the trip is booked together with 3 nights in either FS.
thanks! so 3 FS + 3 cruise, possibly not using all the nights, or perhaps combining with free nights if allowed. rate i posted before is spring, so might / should be lower in low season.

explorer includes transfers.

also still offers >
fourseasons.com/maldiveslg/offers/rest_and_transfer_night_arrivals
Speedboat transfer from the airport to Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Kuda Huraa
Buffet breakfast for two at Café Huraa
Rates apply only to guests visiting Landaa Giraavaru.
Rates are valid for one night only and may not be extended.

hopefully for departure too
Day Use Early check-in and day use rooms are subject to availability. The Resort can confirm availability only one day prior to departure.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 25, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

The new Nautilus resort looks incredibly promising. Only 26 villas and what appears to be a very relaxed and personalized approach to service (dining anywhere, anytime, etc). Beach villas start at 309 square meters and water villas at 282 square meters. Also the first resort to meet guests directly off the international flight if I'm not mistaken:

Getting here: The Nautilus experience begins as soon as you touch down at the airport. You'll be greeted as you disembark your plane, and ushered to a private VIP lounge for immigration and customs.
CIP welcome at the airport: guests will be met immediately outside the plane and taken to the VIP private lounge for immigration and customs before proceeding to The Nautilus Maldives’s seaplane lounge.
  • VIP welcome with greeting on tarmac and immigration clearance in VIP lounge
  • Use of The Nautilus seaplane lounge on arrival
  • Virtuoso and American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits
Luxury Resort in Maldives The Nautilus Beach & Ocean Houses Maldives
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

31 bedrooms intended to 'beat' >
35 BR como cocoa island
37 BR soneva jani - recently add 2BR yacht
45 BR raffles (ex jumeirah) books from feb 1
47 BR huvafen fushi - recently add 1BR dhoni yacht
49 BR gili lankanfushi (ex soneva, owner owns como/FS)
59 BR cheval blanc
67 BR velaa

presumably airport cip / vip can be purchased
ah, so they wrap it into transfer fee
like others wrap into rates of top rooms

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
presumably airport cip / vip can be purchased
Still pretty impressive if this is a standard inclusion though ?
Or maybe its not a standard inclusion and need to book certain level or room type eg. residence or multi-bedroom ?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Still pretty impressive if this is a standard inclusion though ?
Or maybe its not a standard inclusion and need to book certain level or room type eg. residence or multi-bedroom ?
This perk is included for every guest regardless of room type. However, their seaplane transfer charge is $1050 per adult- considerably higher than most resorts.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm looking for a resort in the Maldives for a 3-night stay in mid March for my father and his wife.
The budget is 2000-2500 € (2300-2900 USD) for the entire stay including transfer from MLE and F&B.
He'd love to have a overwater bungalow and/or private pool, but he's aware he'll need to compromise in this budget.
They would prefer full board/all inclusive, but they don't care much about alcohol.
My father simply doesn't enjoy paying extra. I know that when a coke is 5-10$, is would ruin his trip because he'd think about money all the time. He prefers to pay more up front and then not have to worry about the cost anymore.
The only alternative would be if the hotel is significantly cheaper, so that it won't break his budget even if he has something to eat and drink during the day.
They would prefer a hotel where you could do a little more than just relax, he's a bit worried about getting bored. There should be some snorkeling, maybe an organized boat excursion, whatever, something to do.
We understand that with his budget, he probably can't have it all, but it would just be great to have something that's an overall nice solution.

"My" travel agency recommends the Oblu Sangeli, which opened only last year.
However, they only have beach villas left, which don't look too exciting. Some websites also only list it as a 4 star property.
Given it's been open for such a short time only, there are rather few reviews, but it has an impressive average score of 5.0 on Tripadvisor.

Velassaru also looks nice, but most other hotels in that price range only have an average score of 4.5 on Tripadvisor and you'll always find some reviews that completely rip the property apart.
Then again, it seems like NO hotel in the Maldives has less than 75% top-score reviews (probably because of the surroundings), which makes it even more difficult to choose something.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:11 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I'm looking for a resort in the Maldives for a 3-night stay in mid March for my father and his wife.
The budget is 2000-2500 € (2300-2900 USD) including transfer from MLE and F&B.
He'd love to have a overwater bungalow and/or private pool, but he's aware he'll need to compromise in this budget.
They would prefer full board/all inclusive, but they don't care much about alcohol.
My father simply doesn't enjoy paying extra. I know that when a coke is 5-10$, is would ruin his trip because he'd think about money all the time. He prefers to pay more up front and then not have to worry about the cost anymore.
The only alternative would be if the hotel is significantly cheaper, so that it won't break his budget even if he has something to eat and drink during the day.
They would prefer a hotel where you could do a little more than just relax, he's a bit worried about getting bored. There should be some snorkeling, maybe an organized boat excursion, whatever, something to do.
We understand that with his budget, he probably can't have it all, but it would just be great to have something that's an overall nice solution.

"My" travel agency recommends the Oblu Sangeli, which opened only last year.
However, they only have beach villas left, which don't look too exciting. Some websites also only list it as a 4 star property.
Given it's been open for such a short time only, there are rather few reviews, but it has an impressive average score of 5.0 on Tripadvisor.

Velassaru also looks nice, but most other hotels in that price range only have an average score of 4.5 on Tripadvisor and you'll always find some reviews that completely rip the property apart.
Then again, it seems like NO hotel in the Maldives has less than 75% top-score reviews (probably because of the surroundings), which makes it even more difficult to choose something.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I've not looked at the rates (so please don't assume this will work and has been vetted out) but just quickly throwing out a possible option.

The One & Only, a 30 minute boat ride from the resort, can make sense for 3 night stays. It wasn't our favorite but on the flip side, MANY people love it, so they might like it much more than we did.

They often have 4th night free + half-board promotions. Not really all inclusive but might help enough to make them feel less stressed about being ripped off Breakfast and boat transfers are already included.

Sorry, just high level thoughts and you might find O&O isn't a great option.

If all inclusive isn't an issue/requirement, then I'd suggest the FS Kuda Huraa as a better alternative for just 3 nights. Just a boat transfer away and the updated overwater villa is nicer than O&O + better service. IMHO.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm sure O&O would be great, but it's way out of their budget. It's over 2000$ per night, only including breakfast, and excluding transfer.
March is high season, so we'd need to look at a significantly less expensive option.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:21 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Yeah...was afraid of that...I didn't have time to look at rates but just throwing out considerations for research.
I do think the 4th night free + half board + boar transfer kicks in by late April so if they have any flexibility then their budget might suffice.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:22 pm

If you can throw 3x as much money at the problem, it gets a lot easier.
But we're looking for the best option within his budget...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:28 pm
formerly htang333

Again, wasn't saying O&O would work for sure. Simply wanted to help provide a potential lead as a starting point b/c I know from experience when that promotion is in effect, it can be well under USD 2,000+/night.

Never mind on the suggestion as a research point. Do hope it works out for them!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:51 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Sorry bit confused - the budget is USD 2,300-2,900 for the ENTIRE stay (3 nights), including taxes, and F&B and transfers in mid-March (still high season)? If so, I don't think you can afford to really be too fussy with the choices you're looking at in that case - LUX, Velassaru etc are about the right kind of range and you'd just have to pick the best out of what works there. Here is one instance TripAdvisor would be helpful more than this forum I'd reckon.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
If you can throw 3x as much money at the problem, it gets a lot easier.
But we're looking for the best option within his budget...
I would suggest looking at Anantara Dhigu and Veli, for overwater villas. They are four star options, and often come with full or half board included. If you get a good deal, could be approximately within budget. These resorts are not at the same level as the properties mostly discussed on this forum, but I think that for many people they would offer good value and a good introduction to the Maldives. And they still have good service as one would expect from Anantara. They are certainty much nicer than some of the mass market, low end properties that are out there.

One & Only Reethi Rah is absolutely not going to work by any means. It would end up costing several times as much.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:14 am

Yes, I have a quote for Anantara Veli of 2600€ including transfers, but only half board.
i simply don’t know if it’s really that much better than Oblu Sangeli which costs only 1900€ all inclusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.