FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Maldives Recs for 2019 trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1907886-maldives-recs-2019-trip.html)

atojbk May 6, 2018 12:47 am

Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Know there's been quite a few threads on Maldives but I can't find anything too recent. I'll be in Maldives in Feb 2019 and trying to maximize my time there. ill be arriving late from HK and would like to get to a resort that same night versus staying overnight in Male. I also have the midnight flight going home so I'd like to stay on resort for as long as possible. I figured traveling via speedboat would be more efficient? I've seen some recs such as FS Kuda, Jumeirah and Taj. Any other ones im missing? I'm into newer resorts and we dont care much for snorkeling. Looking for nicer rooms and beaches preferably.

scented May 6, 2018 3:41 am

Originally Posted by atojbk (Post 29720702)
Know there's been quite a few threads on Maldives but I can't find anything too recent. I'll be in Maldives in Feb 2019 and trying to maximize my time there. ill be arriving late from HK and would like to get to a resort that same night versus staying overnight in Male. I also have the midnight flight going home so I'd like to stay on resort for as long as possible. I figured traveling via speedboat would be more efficient? I've seen some recs such as FS Kuda, Jumeirah and Taj. Any other ones im missing? I'm into newer resorts and we dont care much for snorkeling. Looking for nicer rooms and beaches preferably.

Cheval Blanc ++++
FS Landaa, if you prefer a more modern style and spa

I don’t like Jumeirah but that’s more of a personal preference.

Maldives Hotel choice depends hugely on personal style and preference. Possibly Soneva Jani may be worth considering, if you prefer more nature and less polished — I don’t really like their villas.

Kagehitokiri May 6, 2018 9:56 am

reethi rah also by boat (and is big island)

when staying overnight at MLE, should stay at such a resort for that one night, FS for example published discounted rates when doing exactly that

depending on choice, may be able to boat to a second resort too
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26788474

Ozchinois May 6, 2018 10:00 pm

I like Gili Lankanfushi which is only a 20 minute boat ride away but don't think it fits your "newish" criteria. I also enjoyed my time at Como's Cocoa Island but it is a longer boat ride. Planning on Huvafen Fushi next year which is also a boat ride away.

Ozchinois May 6, 2018 10:07 pm

I also enjoyed my time at Naladhu, a much more private and more attentive service compared to the sister resorts. Think only a 20 min boat ride away.
And in my experience all the resorts allowed me a late check out up to 8.00pm or provided a smaller villa to stay for a few more hours.

chinmoylad May 7, 2018 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois (Post 29723735)
I also enjoyed my time at Naladhu, a much more private and more attentive service compared to the sister resorts. Think only a 20 min boat ride away.
And in my experience all the resorts allowed me a late check out up to 8.00pm or provided a smaller villa to stay for a few more hours.

My colleague was just at Naladhu and - if you're used to Aman-level stuff - didn't like it much at all - his comments summed up:

There are positives to the place as you say - the villas are HUGE and each with a private pool. No overwater villas, but they do have nice open views (on the quieter and open side of the island). Having said that, with no overwater villas, the resort also lacks 'beach' villas with private beachfront (there are only a couple of these). The design is simple and interesting enough but Kerry Hill, Ed Tuttle, Jean Michel Gathy it isn't.

The issue is that once you go to the other side of the island, it gets a big ugly. The two huge Anantaras are an eyesore. Yes you get to use their facilities and restaurants (and they can't come to Naladhu), but Naladhu itself is tiny so there really isn't much to do other than go to the other islands, kind of defeating the point of "private island"

Apart from convenience to Male (and even then), there are better resorts to stay at within easy access/reach.

Maintenance isn't great, service was okay but lacks attention to detail, especially for a resort that only has ~20 villas.

landing May 7, 2018 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois (Post 29723719)
I like Gili Lankanfushi which is only a 20 minute boat ride away but don't think it fits your "newish" criteria. I also enjoyed my time at Como's Cocoa Island but it is a longer boat ride. Planning on Huvafen Fushi next year which is also a boat ride away.

Last month we stayed in Cocoa´s one bedroom Villa which is not brand new but still very well maintained. We left at 9pm and used a day room. Really good food and great stay. Only 30-40min from Male by boat.

popoemt May 7, 2018 3:11 pm

Creative Routing to MLE

Hi All,

Coming out of SFO, curious if anyone has a business class routing to get to MLE.

My searches via google flights seem to show routings but costing 7-10k (for 2 people). Just wondering if there is an alternative/creative way to get there that I am missing (i.e. flying through Europe, etc).

passionforhotels May 8, 2018 4:12 am

If you want the get-away-from-it-all feel (which excludes much of Male atoll) then consider resorts accessible by domestic transfer. That way you can still get there the same day. Last domestic flights tend to leave Male around 10pm-ish.

bagold May 11, 2018 8:22 am

We did Gili recently which was very good. But thinking of O&O next trip. Any thoughts if O&O Is still good?

sportsguymichael May 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Going to the Maldives in July. Any opinions on the two Four Seasons Hotels there?

chinmoylad May 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael (Post 29747373)
Going to the Maldives in July. Any opinions on the two Four Seasons Hotels there?

Landaa Giravaaru generally considered the better, but also requires a seaplane transfer.

Kuda Huraa is easier access, speedboat, and all that comes with it - including generally considered the more suited towards families. Having said that, though, they have recently done a big refurbish and added beautiful new infinity pools in many of the villas.

There's also (correct me if wrong) the option of staying at one, then transfering to the other via their yacht (Soneva does this too).

Londonjetsetter May 13, 2018 1:59 am

Originally Posted by landing (Post 29724743)
Last month we stayed in Cocoa´s one bedroom Villa which is not brand new but still very well maintained. We left at 9pm and used a day room. Really good food and great stay. Only 30-40min from Male by boat.

Keen to hear more as I am going next February.

MikeFromTokyo May 13, 2018 4:00 am

Originally Posted by popoemt (Post 29726835)
Hi All,

Coming out of SFO, curious if anyone has a business class routing to get to MLE.

My searches via google flights seem to show routings but costing 7-10k (for 2 people). Just wondering if there is an alternative/creative way to get there that I am missing (i.e. flying through Europe, etc).

Is that 7k per person? If total price, i.e. $3,500 per person, I do not think you will find much lower. That’s already low for long haul J.

From the west coast, you could go either way.

EK, EY, BA (TATL)

Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo etc... are possible connections. Maybe ICN also? You could look at pricing separately, e.g. tickets to Bangkok, and then PG tickets to MLE.

Perhaps Amex Platinum two for one J or F tickets could be an option (although you have to pay full fare for one person).

Colombo is the closest connection, serviced by Sri Lankan.

I suggest looking up MLE airport on Wikipedia, and using the airlines/destinations list, figure out potential options. Then search for good deals on flights to the connecting airports and figure out the price on separate tickets.

BKK, ICN, KUL, Taipei, Mainland China, Colombo etc... are often not business heavy routes with high fares (unlike HKG, SIN, NRT, etc...). So get a bit creative.

MikeFromTokyo May 13, 2018 4:06 am

Originally Posted by atojbk (Post 29720702)

One and Only Reethi Rah
FS Kuda Huraa
Gili Lankanfushi
Taj Exotica
Naladhu

All do not require sea plane transfers and are close to MLE.