Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wonder how much of a stake soneva founder sold in soneva itself

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
masseur would come over
someone from the water sports would come over
in prior years, was this ever service, or always sales?

rates are driven by cost and market (demand vs limited supply)

coco prive originally started from 8K, as it doesnt include yacht like FS

Pausanias, you might have done trip for BT madivaru and dhoni mighili (gone)

wilderness safaris parent company is public and does conservation reports

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 8, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:35 pm

I really regret missing out on BT Madivaru before it closed. I am sure I would have loved it.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It’s really tacky that they used your departure as an opportunity to remind you they sold residences - just in case you wanted to extend your subpar sojourn for the rest of your life - that option exists!
Huh. I got the sales pitch on arrival when I was there last month - their residences sales offices are pointed out to you clearly and repeatedly. No leaving gift, though. I guess I didn't strike them as a potential investor.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I really regret missing out on BT Madivaru before it closed. I am sure I would have loved it.
Same here - wish I'd gone. Dhoni Mighilli [sp?] was fabulous but commercially unviable, I believe. Baros still have one of their boats, I heard. Have you been to Song Saa? Haven't been myself but it seems to hit some of what you're looking for. I'm also liking a lot of what andBeyond are doing, especially now they've expanded to Asia and latin America as I'm just not an African safari person. Anyway, taking this thread off topic; perhaps this might make a good new discussion?

MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Vaterland
Ratua Private Island in Vanuatu also comes to mind. And I believe the owners plow 100% of the profits back into local organizations.
That place looks beautiful, Vaterland. Some years back I stayed at the next door island Bokissa which was genuinely rustic and miles from anywhere. You could take little boats around the exquisite bays and islets and we once rented a car and drove up to see Champagne and Lonnoc beaches as well as gaze out to the east to see the original Bali Hai of James Michener's imagination - Ambae Island.

Vanuatu is amazing - I've been three times - and I see you can now fly direct from Brisbane into Luganville which is a big step forward.

I know this is supposed to be a Maldives thread but those hotels seem so boring, so tame and in many ways, so ridiculous. And an environmental disaster.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I know this is supposed to be a Maldives thread but those hotels seem so boring, so tame and in many ways, so ridiculous. And an environmental disaster.
When one considers the skyrocketing rates, it really does border on the absurd. I still want to have more experiences there, but there is also a lot about it that I do not like. It’s all the rage with package tourists from throughout Asia, who love to take Instagram photos in “aspirational” poses using selfie sticks, etc...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 9, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:35 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Sent my colleague to Naladhu a few months back. Won't create a new thread for the review but here's the details:
(Disclaimer: he was hosted on a nearly all-inclusive basis by Naladhu)

Full review here: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/nala...-hotel-review/
More photos as well as some interactive 360s also available on the site

Overview:
It was his first Maldives experience and I had prepped him for what to expect from a resort near Male. Even with that in mind, he expected a bit more out of the place, and specifically from the resort.
The location of the resort is a bit curious and their concept of 'private island' is also...'interesting' - it's only private in name, because the neighbouring Anantara resorts can't come to Naladhu, but Naladhu guests can go to the other Anantaras nearby. Why would one want to you ask? Because Naladhu is so tiny beyond the rooms that you really need to for more food options, larger spa facilities (although the in-villa spa is a great experience), gym and pool (if you're so inclined) etc. By itself (or if Naladhu owned all 3 islands and made use of it), it would work quite well he reckons. But having the two huge mass-luxury Ananatara properties next to Naladhu is quite an eyesore.
Rooms are very large, and all with private pools. Overall room layout is quite nice (apart from that bizarre bath/pool thing going on...also seen that at Anantara Maikhao) and the outdoor terrace area is nicely laid out and very spacious. Very private rooms (additionally no one really snorkels/swims on that side of the island) looking out onto nowhere. The design isn't particularly appealing as such (to neither his nor mine tastes) but I do welcome the departure from pretty much everything else you see in the Maldives (either very rustic/traditional Maldivian or very sleek).
The 2-bedroom in particular is very nice, and also designed in a more sleek manner.
Maintenance overall at the resort could have improved
What he was most disappointed with was the service - for a self-marketed private island with only 20 villas to cater for, he thought the service was adequate but it lacked the softer touches and attention to detail that you'd find at the Amans at their very best.
With all that said, for those seeking it or within a certain budget, it can be a good deal in high season and for those looking to just do something near Male/arriving in late night flights. In low season, so many of the resorts run such fantastic offers (COMO Maalifushi, Cheval Blanc, Velaa and One&Only all have great offers) that it's hard to justify a nearly similar splurge at Naladhu.

VIDEO

PHOTOS
Ocean House Pool Villa

2 bedroom

Overview/resort facilities

Aerial/drone shots (we had permission to fly)

Snorkeling pics (he's clearly FAR better with the GoPro than I am)

Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:09 pm

Does anyone have any information about the Grand Park Kodhipparu?

Looks to be a somewhat more affordable option. 20 minute boat ride from MLE. The island looks very small, though.

I'm reading through this thread looking for options similar to this. I'm going in 2019 and want to keep the extra (boat or seaplane) costs under $200 each, and hopefully get all-inclusive with a water bungalo.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:49 am

I totally agee about Naladhu - it comes as a big shock when you arrive there and find two rather downmarket resorts adjoining it. I also hated the outdoor buggy bathrooms and the really tiny bedrooms. I think that Anantara are doing much better resorts these days - they seem to have a better idea of what upscale guests want.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I totally agee about Naladhu - it comes as a big shock when you arrive there and find two rather downmarket resorts adjoining it. I also hated the outdoor buggy bathrooms and the really tiny bedrooms. I think that Anantara are doing much better resorts these days - they seem to have a better idea of what upscale guests want.
Yep - and especially if someone booking in hasn't done their homework; their website doesn't really make it clear that there are two huge resorts next to Naladhu.

Ah I could go on and on about outdoor bathrooms - I'm not against the concept, just why for the love of God do people keep building them in mosquito-infested, hot, humid, tropical locales?
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Just got back from a 6 day trip to the Maldives. Stayed 3 days at Four Seasons Kuda Huraa and 3 days at Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru. Had an over water room at both resorts. Happy with the service, food and rooms but boy it is expensive in the Maldives. Sorry about the previous bolding. Still trying to figure out how to use my new phone!!!

Last edited by sportsguymichael; Jul 25, 2018 at 2:42 pm Reason: Didn't realize I had bolded my reply
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
just got back yesterday from a 6 day trip (3 at Four Seasons Kuda Huraa and 3 at Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru). I was happy with both resorts. Had an over water villa at both. Food and service was excellent in my opinion. First time in the Maldives so nothing to compare it with. Definitely was expensive though!!!
Maybe a post doesn't need to be entirely bolded? Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by TravelMutt

Looks to be a somewhat more affordable option. 20 minute boat ride from MLE. The island looks very small, though.

I'm reading through this thread looking for options similar to this. I'm going in 2019 and want to keep the extra (boat or seaplane) costs under $200 each, and hopefully get all-inclusive with a water bungalo.
I don’t think many of the luxury resorts in the Maldives do all inclusive.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by TravelMutt

​​​​I have never heard of the resort you mention. I do know that Anantara Veli and Dhigu often offer full board rates, which allow flexible dining around both islands. Naladhu is for resident guests only.

At the right price these resorts could fit the bill. They are not at the level of most properties discussed here, but they do offer value. Plenty of activities, and no sea plane transfer is needed.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by kmd0506
We have visited Baros 3 times in the last 3 years and it is probably our favorite hotel in the world. We did 2 stays in an overwater bungalow with pool and 1 in their premium pool villa (to be honest we preferred the premium pool villa, mostly because we liked that there was a covered outdoor area that we were able to enjoy in the rain).
Other bonuses for us:
-It is a boat transfer from the airport- during our most recent visit there was a pretty bad storm that came through that delayed/cancelled sea plane flights for I think 2 days of our visits, so people couldn't get to their resorts and were stuck at the airport/Male.
-No kids under the age of 8 guarantees a more peaceful time
-Marine biologist on staff at their dive center and a house reef (albeit with unfortunately common bleaching), but we have seen turtles and sharks on every visit. Marine biologist led the night snorkeling "experience" which I loved, but my husband did not.

I actually think the staff is more attentive than some true "luxury" properties we have stayed at. I like the food, we generally ate a late breakfast, had a lighter lunch then did a bigger dinner, and there was a nice enough variety of food that we didn't get bored with the options. We did a nicer meal each trip, and I think the food is very good given the location. I have done 1 spa visit over our trips, I liked the massage/spa but much happier to be in the water snorkeling or diving while there. Happy to answer any other Baros specific questions you have.
On average, how much did you spend on dinner a night there?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:38 am

Currently at Soneva Fushi. Similar to Jani and yet so different.

I REALLY like it so far but I must admit that I am a “no news no shoes” type of girl, highly enjoy to take a bike (so no risk of a broken buggy) and like to wander on the beach for hours in a T shirt and shorts, just enjoying the sea and the sun. For us that’s all a holiday in Maldives should be about. A spacious and well-appointed room and nice food to add and that’s it. So far Fushi does the job and does it quite good.

Especially @bhrubin: the W Maldives was a bliss .
Not as high end as Soneva but we truly enjoyed. Service is very good with some exceptional people. Our waiter for dinners was Aman-like! Also mind that the new GM is ex Ritz-Carlton, RC Reserve to be exact (Thailand and Bali). That should tell you something. A/C should not be an issue. Our room (entry level, beach Oasis) was only set to 23C and was freezing in the evenings. So pretty sure anything a bit lower would already fit your needs. Food was simply amazing. Prices were steep though; at first sight Soneva Fushi is cheaper when it comes down to food pricing.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.