Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yes, I have a quote for Anantara Veli of 2600€ including transfers, but only half board.
i simply don’t know if it’s really that much better than Oblu Sangeli which costs only 1900€ all inclusive.
I have never even head of Oblu Sangeli. €2,600 for three nights with half is very inexpensive for the Maldives, go for that and pay out of pocket for lunch. As an Anantara, you’re assured of a good four star experience. I would not feel the same confidence in a no-name all inclusive, or in some dreadful Centara, Holiday Inn or similar property.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Makes sense. Which would you choose of Anantara, Angsana and Velassaru?
I think they’re all pretty much the same price.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:50 am

Makes sense. Which would you choose of Anantara, Angsana and Velassaru?
I think they’re all pretty much the same price.
I really cannot comment on the others as I have no experience. I am a fan of Naladhu (the third Anantara island alongside Veli and Dhigu). I would be confident in recommending Anantara based on service and management quality.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I just realized I can book the St. Regis for him on points!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:52 am

I just realized I can book the St. Regis for him on points!
Book St.R and then pay to upgrade to an overwater.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:59 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I would suggest looking at Anantara Dhigu and Veli, for overwater villas. They are four star options, and often come with full or half board included. If you get a good deal, could be approximately within budget. These resorts are not at the same level as the properties mostly discussed on this forum, but I think that for many people they would offer good value and a good introduction to the Maldives. And they still have good service as one would expect from Anantara. They are certainty much nicer than some of the mass market, low end properties that are out there.

One & Only Reethi Rah is absolutely not going to work by any means. It would end up costing several times as much.

Absolutely right, Mike! It was my mistake as I read it quickly on my phone and actually thought it was EU 2-3k/NIGHT not for the entire trip...100% my mistake. Being the luxury forum, I think my thought immediately (falsely) assumed it was a nightly budget

But yeah, 3k in march in Maldives with everything covered would be insanely difficult, for luxury properties. Unless there's points involved.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jan 24, 2019 at 6:04 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Absolutely right, Mike! It was my mistake as I read it quickly on my phone and actually thought it was EU 2-3k/NIGHT not for the entire trip...100% my mistake. Being the luxury forum, I think my thought immediately (falsely) assumed it was a nightly budget

But yeah, 3k in march in Maldives with everything covered would be insanely difficult, for luxury properties. Unless there's points involved.
Yes it definitely would be the assumption I would have made at first glance, too!

Incidentally, I have always had a love-hate relationship with OO RR. It’s a fabulous Gathy design with a lot of great things going for it. On the other hand it is a highly man made island, and certain guests are a bit ostentatious for my taste. Furthermore, the most appealing categories of “Grand” overwter and beach villas have shot up in price in recent years, making it increasingly hard to justify compared to other resorts. But, it’s still lovely...

I am usually more of a laid back Four Seasons/Soneva/Gili etc... type.

BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
You could maybe get Baros - it has a phenomenal house reef.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Speaking of the Anantara Dhigu -- how do people on here rate that property? As @MikeFromTokyo mentioned, there are some very attractive rates to be found even during high season, including dinner every night if booked on the official website.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Speaking of the Anantara Dhigu -- how do people on here rate that property? As @MikeFromTokyo mentioned, there are some very attractive rates to be found even during high season, including dinner every night if booked on the official website.
Of those three Anantara properties, Naladhu is the one that is most relevant in terms of this fourm. And many here will say that Veli and Dhigu are not “luxury” relative to the truely high-end options available in the Maldives. Indeed the do cater to a different market segment, but I think that if you are looking for a good, four star experience at an affordable price they are really worth looking at. You’ll definitely want to take only the higher categories of villas there, and you should be aware that they are more “mass market” high density islands - and everything in the Maldives is relatively high density.

If you are looking for luxury among the Anantara properties, you should be looking at Kihavah and Naladhu. On the other hand, if you are looking for a simpler resort that provides good value and still has the Anantara flair for great service and genuine hospitality, I say that Veli and Dhigu stack up very well against their direct competitors, i.e. similarly priced resorts. Veli is adults only, Dhigu is for everyone including families.

Taj Exotica, located nearby, also has very affordable rates on its entry level accommodation.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:57 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Of those three Anantara properties, Naladhu is the one that is most relevant in terms of this fourm. And many here will say that Veli and Dhigu are not “luxury” relative to the truely high-end options available in the Maldives. Indeed the do cater to a different market segment, but I think that if you are looking for a good, four star experience at an affordable price they are really worth looking at. You’ll definitely want to take only the higher categories of villas there, and you should be aware that they are more “mass market” high density islands - and everything in the Maldives is relatively high density.

If you are looking for luxury among the Anantara properties, you should be looking at Kihavah and Naladhu. On the other hand, if you are looking for a simpler resort that provides good value and still has the Anantara flair for great service and genuine hospitality, I say that Veli and Dhigu stack up very well against their direct competitors, i.e. similarly priced resorts. Veli is adults only, Dhigu is for everyone including families.

Taj Exotica, located nearby, also has very affordable rates on its entry level accommodation.
Thank you for the thorough overview of Anantara's properties! Dhigu does appeal for a spontaneous long weekend given that you can avoid sea plane transfers, and hopefully get a double villa upgrade with GHA Black.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Thank you for the thorough overview of Anantara's properties! Dhigu does appeal for a spontaneous long weekend given that you can avoid sea plane transfers, and hopefully get a double villa upgrade with GHA Black.
Yes, I agree it could be a very good choice. But, do check Naladhu and Kihavah as well. If the price difference is not too great, I would recommend those two in particular. Note that those resorts also do usually offer either half board (Kihavah) or one private dining dinner per stay (Naladhu).
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:59 am

Long Trip Advice

Hi-
Planning a long trip to Maldives for our anniversary next December....

Currently planning to arrive Maldives at 330pm on 12/3 and then do the transfer to StR (OvW) and as of now am booked there til 12/8.

We are scheduled to leave Male on 12/11.

My question is:

Would you change rooms and stay at StR the entire stay or go to another resort to change it up? If switching, which resorts would be less of a pain to switch to that are still at that top tier level?

Are any great places transferable by boat instead of seaplane for a reasonable price?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Still pretty impressive if this is a standard inclusion though ?
Or maybe its not a standard inclusion and need to book certain level or room type eg. residence or multi-bedroom ?
CIP is also standard at both of the Soneva’s when booking the langer villa’s (3 BR, maybe also for 2 BR).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:45 am

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker
I am trying to find a place for our anniversary in February 2020. Ideally, we want an island villa that will be secluded (think swimming in the pool without people taking a peek), but for the right resort willing to get something else.
I am trying to get 7 nights for 10k USD and have a quote from Six Senses Laamu for that in their Lagoon Beach Villas. Do you think that is a good choice? Any other resorts you would recommend taking a look at? Is there even a chance to get CB close-ish to that price if we book this early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.