Further reviews from 2018 and 2019 may be found in this now-closed thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1907886&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Maldives hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:34 am

Hello Folks!

I am new here. Please suggest me which out of these 2 options make sense :

1)Meeru Resort- Jacuzzi over water villa- All inclusive- $2800 (+Free Covid test, if needed, about $300 for 2 adults )- 7 nts
2)Paradise Island- $1800- Jacuzzi over water Villa- All inclusive $1800 (Covid Test not included ). 7 Nts- Got a great deal on this one.

I understand Meeru has no snorkeling and Paradise gets bad reviews due to not being a pretty island , also its concrete as i read but going by these 2 options and their prices, what do u guys suggest ? We have never done snorkeling but wanted to try it out here.

Thanks,
Ash
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ashishwadhwa20
Hello Folks!

I am new here. Please suggest me which out of these 2 options make sense :

1)Meeru Resort- Jacuzzi over water villa- All inclusive- $2800 (+Free Covid test, if needed, about $300 for 2 adults )- 7 nts
2)Paradise Island- $1800- Jacuzzi over water Villa- All inclusive $1800 (Covid Test not included ). 7 Nts- Got a great deal on this one.

I understand Meeru has no snorkeling and Paradise gets bad reviews due to not being a pretty island , also its concrete as i read but going by these 2 options and their prices, what do u guys suggest ? We have never done snorkeling but wanted to try it out here.

Thanks,
Ash
paradise is next to gili lankanfushi and if i stayed at paradise I’d hate looking at Gili and I’d wish I was there - for that reason - Meeru
ngfan likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:22 pm

Best choice?

Hi all,

Have read through this thread, as well as a few others. Very usefull info, thanks to all who contributed!

I wanted to hear from folks here if I came to the proper conclusion of which is the best overall property for my upcoming trip in Jan.

We are going to be coming from NY, it will be me and the wife and 80% chance taking a 1 year old along. (Tell me about it....oldest conflict...)

We only have 4 days 3 nights there, so not too concerned about the nightly rate.

Things I believe are important:

Top service (aman style)
- New/nice hard product (villa) I like modern, but not a must at all.
- Privacy on the overwater villas (ie even when you go into the ocean)
- From the better locations for getting the most natural and serene experiences such as fish spotting from villa area, and a house reef etc etc (nicest dive spots acceptable from resort...)

​​Things that I would prefer but not a must:
- nice beach area to hang at, not just one that many guests are there (ie an island that has various spots so as you can get privacy with some luck)
- a resort where can save travel time and/or the "fear" of skipping a seaplane and being able to get there by boat (wife doesnt like tiny planes, but too bad if that will compromise)

Things that are not important at all:

-Food! I know that seems odd, but basically its not relavant to us as kosher diets, we bring our own more or less...

I have come to the conclusion that the Nautilus was the way to go, and they are running decent specials with 30% or more off. But very happy to hear opinions, and if theres a better overall choice?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: SQ TPP, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Will you really be wanting an overwater villa with a 1 year old with you?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by moebod
Hi all,

Have read through this thread, as well as a few others. Very usefull info, thanks to all who contributed!

I wanted to hear from folks here if I came to the proper conclusion of which is the best overall property for my upcoming trip in Jan.

We are going to be coming from NY, it will be me and the wife and 80% chance taking a 1 year old along. (Tell me about it....oldest conflict...)

We only have 4 days 3 nights there, so not too concerned about the nightly rate.

Things I believe are important:

Top service (aman style)
- New/nice hard product (villa) I like modern, but not a must at all.
- Privacy on the overwater villas (ie even when you go into the ocean)
- From the better locations for getting the most natural and serene experiences such as fish spotting from villa area, and a house reef etc etc (nicest dive spots acceptable from resort...)

​​Things that I would prefer but not a must:
- nice beach area to hang at, not just one that many guests are there (ie an island that has various spots so as you can get privacy with some luck)
- a resort where can save travel time and/or the "fear" of skipping a seaplane and being able to get there by boat (wife doesnt like tiny planes, but too bad if that will compromise)

Things that are not important at all:

-Food! I know that seems odd, but basically its not relavant to us as kosher diets, we bring our own more or less...

I have come to the conclusion that the Nautilus was the way to go, and they are running decent specials with 30% or more off. But very happy to hear opinions, and if theres a better overall choice?
If you want overwater and privacy, have you considered the romantic residence at Velaa? Completely detached from everything, overwater, great service, ...
The only downside is you'll have to take a seaplane if you fly commercial. Private jets can land at Mafaaru International Airport from where it's a 30min boat ride.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:19 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
moebod

Hi and glad to see another heading to Maldives!!

I've been booking Maldives much more than usual lately due to being one of the few places that's international friendly at the moment.
Booked and had 3 sets of clients stay at Joali in Nov.
Just booked another family of 4 ( 2 adults + 2 and 1 yr. olds) at Cheval Blanc for next week.
Just booked a couple at COMO Maalifushi for NYE.
Just sent in a proposal to clients at Gili (mins ago).

So Figured I'd just give my 2 cents...

Don't have anything that's going to check all your boxes:

But overall, I stand by Cheval Blanc and Joali.

Joali is pretty new and booked clients at 40% off + half board + 2x upgrade at booking. That's a value to be had for sure! The best deal I'm aware of for any of the top luxe options in Maldives.

Cheval Blanc's Infinite Bliss Promo I just booked for clients had stay 7 pay 5 + a list of other goodies, including a private beach dinner.

Both having amazing services. The butlers at Joali are fantastic and not just a label/title. All 3 sets of my clients who just stayed, raved about their butler. Very proactive, which is the old school Aman ethos
Without knowing your personal taste and preference, I'm just going to objectively say that I've seen more people love the hard products at Cheval Blanc than any other resorts within Maldives.

Both will require seaplane transfers but Cheval Blanc's private shared seaplane is the best in Maldives as well. And their lounge is great.
The client I just booked over the weekend at CB. paid $1850 for CB's seaplane vs. $1000 for the commercial seaplane (roundtrip). So it's a big difference in price but so is the plane. That might make your wife's journey a bit easier/tolerable.

Joali's food isn't the best but seems to not be an issue for you. And half board is great
C.B.'s food is solid.

Joali and C.B. are two of my favorite management teams to work with in Maldives as well. Very quick and competent.
Can't say enough about management who can answer all questions clearly and effectively. Also understand how to look after clients.

I've rebooked myself at Joali, Cheval Blanc, Velaa and Gili for next Summer. Can't wait!

Happy shopping and hope you'll have a great time regardless where you land!
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Ex-SIN
Will you really be wanting an overwater villa with a 1 year old with you?
Yes, I would be comfortable with it. I would have him always in the crib or being watched.....of course I may choose to have one night on a beach villa to get the feel of both styles.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
We are looking to stay one night at SAii Lagoon Maldives before moving over to Conrad for 7 nights.

I can't get reward availability at Conrad for our first night but can get a promo rate for SAii at under $150 inc.

Does anyone see any issue with this? I know I will have 2 lots of transfers to pay for, but the SAii boat transfers are $148 each so I'm still looking at about $450 all-in for 1 night with the transfers, which is still much cheaper than paying for an extra night at Conrad which will be over $1,300.

I assume there are no COVID-19 restrictions that would prevent this idea? Anyone think we are crazy to do this and should just pay the extra and go straight to Conrad?
The Maldives isn't an easy place to get to. It's expensive and time consuming

As such, it's very popular to visit more than one island. I visited the Conrad and the Holiday Inn, last time I went there

However I don't see the value of visitting the Saii for 1 night. You'll be exhausted from travel and have very little time to enjoy the place.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
If you want overwater and privacy, have you considered the romantic residence at Velaa? Completely detached from everything, overwater, great service, ...
The only downside is you'll have to take a seaplane if you fly commercial. Private jets can land at Mafaaru International Airport from where it's a 30min boat ride.
Wow, that villa does look nice, but at $15k per night- Im not THAT loaded
The base over the water villas cost a decent amount more than the rate I got at the Nautilus. Do you think that Vella is nicer overall and worth it over the Nautilus? Anyone been to both to compare?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
moebod

Hi and glad to see another heading to Maldives!!

I've been booking Maldives much more than usual lately due to being one of the few places that's international friendly at the moment.
Booked and had 3 sets of clients stay at Joali in Nov.
Just booked another family of 4 ( 2 adults + 2 and 1 yr. olds) at Cheval Blanc for next week.
Just booked a couple at COMO Maalifushi for NYE.
Just sent in a proposal to clients at Gili (mins ago).

So Figured I'd just give my 2 cents...

Don't have anything that's going to check all your boxes:

But overall, I stand by Cheval Blanc and Joali.

Joali is pretty new and booked clients at 40% off + half board + 2x upgrade at booking. That's a value to be had for sure! The best deal I'm aware of for any of the top luxe options in Maldives.

Cheval Blanc's Infinite Bliss Promo I just booked for clients had stay 7 pay 5 + a list of other goodies, including a private beach dinner.

Both having amazing services. The butlers at Joali are fantastic and not just a label/title. All 3 sets of my clients who just stayed, raved about their butler. Very proactive, which is the old school Aman ethos
Without knowing your personal taste and preference, I'm just going to objectively say that I've seen more people love the hard products at Cheval Blanc than any other resorts within Maldives.

Both will require seaplane transfers but Cheval Blanc's private shared seaplane is the best in Maldives as well. And their lounge is great.
The client I just booked over the weekend at CB. paid $1850 for CB's seaplane vs. $1000 for the commercial seaplane (roundtrip). So it's a big difference in price but so is the plane. That might make your wife's journey a bit easier/tolerable.

Joali's food isn't the best but seems to not be an issue for you. And half board is great
C.B.'s food is solid.

Joali and C.B. are two of my favorite management teams to work with in Maldives as well. Very quick and competent.
Can't say enough about management who can answer all questions clearly and effectively. Also understand how to look after clients.

I've rebooked myself at Joali, Cheval Blanc, Velaa and Gili for next Summer. Can't wait!

Happy shopping and hope you'll have a great time regardless where you land!
Thanks Besvisor.

Pricing for Joali does in fact come out similar tohe Nautilus, but doesnt seem nearly as nice as far as service compared to the Nautilus. And more crowded etc. Am I mistaken on this point?

CB as well, while looks lovely overall, its more expensive and not sure if its better overall?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:08 pm

That’s a lot of travel to stay for only three nights. We are from north of NYC and we flew Qatar from NYC to Doha to Male. You are talking 20 hours to get there from JFK and then another 21 back. I think traveling to the Caribbean and an Aman there would be the better choice.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by LinLant
That’s a lot of travel to stay for only three nights. We are from north of NYC and we flew Qatar from NYC to Doha to Male. You are talking 20 hours to get there from JFK and then another 21 back. I think traveling to the Caribbean and an Aman there would be the better choice.
I know, but I am dying to try the Maldives. Been to both caribbean Aman's plus Amanpulo too. Time to try the Maldives!
Hope to end up in First Class with EK, if I am "stuck" in EK Business it will do the job too....
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:55 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by moebod
I know, but I am dying to try the Maldives. Been to both caribbean Aman's plus Amanpulo too. Time to try the Maldives!
Hope to end up in First Class with EK, if I am "stuck" in EK Business it will do the job too....
Having been multiple times, it's honestly not THAT exciting to warrant a 20+ hour trip for a 3 night stay.

Just my two cents...
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:38 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
+1 with chinmoylad
LinLant likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:21 am

Hello folks!

Planning to visit the Maldives for 4 nights in September. We will be travelling with our 10-month old baby and hence prefer a resort that is accessible by speedboat. Our priorities are:
1. Elegant beach villas
2. Excellent friendly service
3. Great choice and quality of food

We are not into snorkelling and so, the quality of reef is secondary. So far, I have shortlisted the following:
1. One&only Reethi Rah
2. Four Seasons Kuda Huraa
3. Taj Exotica

Please let me know your thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.