Pros and cons of Vienna's luxury hotel options--feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Final choice for me: Hotel Imperial

If I were paying outright, I'd probably choose between the Imperial and the Park Hyatt--and still choose the Imperial due to the uneven service standard at the PH.

Unlike the PH, there are almost no service issues at all described here on FT for the Imperial, both in this luxury forum and in the Starwood forum. Considering FT, that's saying something!

My SPG Ambassador also has confirmed the air con in the rooms/suites can comfortably cool to 67-68 F as I require. (Recent refurbishment included new air con systems, apparently.) That was my biggest concern. Concern gone!

With my SPG Plat100 status, I also know the value-add for me at the Imperial is massive on an award stay. No-brainer. The Imperial it is!

Thanks again! First instinct = the right choice for me. Look for an expert review when our visit in October is concluded!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Not on your list and not at the highest end of luxury but I am a huge fan of the Imperial Riding School Marriot Ren.

Very cool pool and outdoor area for summer.. Amazing lounge..
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Not on your list and not at the highest end of luxury but I am a huge fan of the Imperial Riding School Marriot Ren.

Very cool pool and outdoor area for summer.. Amazing lounge..
Thanks. I'm not at all a fan of lounges. I prefer room service or eating out!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
A few comments.

1.) I'm Viennese (grew up both in Vienna and New York)
2.) Demel's Sachertorte is better than at the Sacher but many off-brand Kaffeekonditorei have an even better product.
3.) The Palais Hansen Kempinski is mysteriously not on this list and it's as good if not better than the PH and RC and it's much more Viennese
4.) The Bristol v. the Imperial is a difficult decision. The best way I could explain it is my mother loved the Imperial but my grandmother (far more traditional Viennese Witwe) preferred the Bristol on return visits.
5.) Depending on how long your stay is, stay two nights perhaps at two different hotels for a different Viennese experience.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by jspira
A few comments.

1.) I'm Viennese (grew up both in Vienna and New York)
2.) Demel's Sachertorte is better than at the Sacher but many off-brand Kaffeekonditorei have an even better product.
3.) The Palais Hansen Kempinski is mysteriously not on this list and it's as good if not better than the PH and RC and it's much more Viennese
4.) The Bristol v. the Imperial is a difficult decision. The best way I could explain it is my mother loved the Imperial but my grandmother (far more traditional Viennese Witwe) preferred the Bristol on return visits.
5.) Depending on how long your stay is, stay two nights perhaps at two different hotels for a different Viennese experience.
^

Thanks for the insights !
Another of many long overdue visits ..
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Imperial has some stunning suites but the rooms are rather ordinary ... you get what you pay for. I still remember my corner suite which had not one but 2 chandeliers in the bathroom (and a swimming pool sized roman bath to complement the clawfoot tub). Museum quality furnishings (though quite sparse, there was lots of open space in the lounge which could hold 40 people). The Bristol doesn't have suites like this (though their top-floor junior suites are atmospheric), and I suspect no other hotel in Vienna does (the Imperial was built as a private residence, not a hotel, originally, so it has a grander scale, though most of the rooms were the servants quarters ).
bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by number_6
The Imperial has some stunning suites but the rooms are rather ordinary ... you get what you pay for. I still remember my corner suite which had not one but 2 chandeliers in the bathroom (and a swimming pool sized roman bath to complement the clawfoot tub). Museum quality furnishings (though quite sparse, there was lots of open space in the lounge which could hold 40 people). The Bristol doesn't have suites like this (though their top-floor junior suites are atmospheric), and I suspect no other hotel in Vienna does (the Imperial was built as a private residence, not a hotel, originally, so it has a grander scale, though most of the rooms were the servants quarters ).
Had once a terrible suite at Imperial and the bigger suites at PH look stunning. Don´t think the Imperial is overly cheap. So with the rooms I doubt you get what you pay.

Beside this I agree that the Imperial is special and a good choice.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:29 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Other hotels

Hotels not on your list, but worth considering:

I will second that the Palais Hansen Kempinski is an amazing pick. Although I never stayed at any of the SPG hotels in Vienna; the level of service at Palais Hansen Kempinski is above every other luxury SPG hotel I've been to. The rooms are modern. This hotel will appeal to any luxury traveler, and has one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time.

The San Souchi is located at the Museum District, and is a new, hip, and eclectic hotel. My wife and I would go back to the San Souchi if we were to visit Vienna again. Not as luxury compared to the Palais Hansen Kempinski, but the location is great. They have a Champagne themed bar, and their Junior Suites are spacious, modern, and well appointed.

*edited: reread your first post and you wanted 5 star; go for Palais Hansen Kempinski!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
We had a wonderful family vacation at Palais Hansen Kempinski in early July 2017. It is a classic Central European grand hotel, with a friendly and professional service and beautiful rooms and common areas. I had booked a junior suite through Amex FHR, and we were upgraded to a very nice Ring suite. which is a perfect suite for a family with small children. There was no problem for getting an early check-in at 10.45am, and the welcome at the hotel was very friendly and professional.

The spa is amazing, food tasty (especially breakfasts, liked the fact that they served Perrier-Jouet champagne if one wanted some bubbles with eggs benedict) and the drinks in the lobby bar very innovative.

The only minor drawback was that there was no turndown service offered/done during any of the three nights we stayed in the hotel, would have thought that Kempinski would offer it as a standard.

All in all, this is an amazing hotel, we will certainly be back here the next time we are in Vienna.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
We can highly recommend in Vienna the Palais Coburg Residenz, please see our review here on FT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28031183-post32.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28031787-post33.html

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for so much feedback!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just posted in the Starwood Hotel Imperial thread. Wow, the Hotel Imperial is likely joining my list of top hotel stays worldwide.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Review forthcoming, but we've just had the first of 3 nights at the Hotel Imperial. It's been absolutely spectacular. Truly one of the best service experiences we've enjoyed anywhere--including Aman, Peninsula, and StR hotels.

Our paid entry level room was upgraded to the Imperial Suite. Truly incredible, if a bit laid out with some historical oddities. My mother's award room also was upgraded to beautiful Elisabeth Suite--despite there being no upgrade benefit at all for a second room booking. Truly impressive attention to detail and attempt to please.

Food and beverage exquisite. Had great lunch at the Cafe and a wonderful dinner at 1* Opus. Also was given free tickets to last night's Beethoven concert in the bar. An exclusive affair with award winning pianist. They reserved us front row seats...and awaited our (slightly late) arrival before beginning the performance. Yikes. But what a concert.

Concierge efficiently and graciously moved our afternoon city tour to our final day since it was raining for our first day. No issues. Just taken care of.

Air con in suite--wonderful. Any concerns/questions--handled quickly and easily. Just a perfect stay so far. Didn't want to wear a long sleeve shirt to dinner at 1* Opus for fear of being too warm--not a problem (unlike 1* Imago at the Hassler Rome or 1* La Terrazza at the Eden Rome).

Visited the Park Hyatt on the rainy afternoon, as well. Beautiful property, as well, much more modern and clean in design, but lacked any sense of place and the service polish and consistency that is truly endemic at the Imperial.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My expert review of the incredible Hotel Imperial:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198

The Hotel Imperial now joins my list of the top 12--now 13--hotels that we consider to be the most amazing in the world. It truly was that amazing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28680884-post203.html

These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Singita Boulders, South Africa
Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, India
Amangiri, USA
The Upper House, Hong Kong
Peninsula Shanghai, China
Gritti Palace, Italy
La Residence, South Africa
Amankila, Indonesia
Cavas Wine Lodge, Argentina
Cayo Espanto, Belize
St. Regis San Francisco, USA
I also shared in my expert review that I visited some of the other top hotels in Vienna, including the Park Hyatt Vienna, the Sacher, and the Bristol. We also saw the DO & CO. Bolding added below by me.

The Park Hyatt Vienna is a very beautiful, modern hotel with spacious rooms with all the amenities--but with absolutely no sense of place whatsoever. It could be anywhere. The rooms and suites were wonderful and modern. It had nice service, but even in the short time we visited, we were let down a few times: the staff member who said he'd be ready in 30 min never came to find us in the cafe, the drink order came wrong in the cafe, and it was a long wait for the correct drink. You can't go wrong with the Park Hyatt, but you'd go better with the Imperial--especially in terms of service (and likely food/beverage).

The Hotel Sacher is a beautiful but more traditonal and clubby feeling hotel with quirky spaces and rooms/suite with varying decor schemes, but still very Viennese. The suite we saw was beautifully and surprisingly modern but not as spacious as I would have expected. The Blaue Bar truly is adorable, though, and a bit less ostentatious than the Imperial bar. Service was to a high standard here. We loved the Sacher torte more than the Imperial torte. You definitely can't go wrong with the Sacher, but you'd be looking for something a bit less grand and perhaps a bit quirkie than the Imperial.

The Hotel Bristol is a lovely hotel, but its rooms and decor and ambience just aren't in the same league. Not even close. Service was to a good standard, and the public areas were fresh and modern, but the rooms and suites looked like they were seriously dated and in desperate need for a refurbishment. This felt more like a business hotel or for the well traveled tourist who doesn't way to pay top billing or use too many points. A nice hotel, but not close to the Imperial, Sacher, or PH.

The DO & CO looked like a grandiose modern monstrosity in the core of Vienna--it really stood out as a bit garish. I love modern design hotels, but its exterior appearance did nothing to invite us in. Our guide shared that the owner never wants to pay enough to keep staff so service suffers and is seriously lacking. It looked it.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The Hotel Imperial now joins my list of the top 12--now 13--hotels that we consider to be the most amazing in the world.
I agree that common spaces are beautiful but I don't really get warm with the rooms.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hotel Imperial vs Park Hyatt Vienna vs Hotel Sacher: a comparison and contrast

Imperial vs Park Hyatt vs Sacher Hotels

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Vienna, AT

Hotel Imperial vs Park Hyatt Vienna vs Hotel Sacher: a comparison and contrast (57 Photos)

I am using the expert review mode to do a comparison and contrast of the Hotel Imperial, the Park Hyatt, and the Hotel Sacher here in Vienna. I stayed at the Imperial and visited both the PH and Sacher (as well as the Bristol, which isn't in the same league).

For the record, I'm not a TA. I always have loved visiting luxury hotels while visiting any city or location where I may have the time. 

HOTEL IMPERIAL

I reviewed the Hotel Imperial, where we stayed, in a separate review. I am copying elements of that review for the purposes of this comparison and contrast.

We all were blown away by the Hotel Imperial. I recently on FlyerTalk named my favorite 12 hotel stays of all time; the Hotel Imperial must now be added to that list. It simply was that incredible. The service standard here is as high as I've seen anywhere in the world. 

The hotel is lovely and obviously historic from the exterior:

20171003_223415.jpg

The lobby entrance really shows how historic and beautiful this hotel is:

1_20171003_132108.jpg

20171004_080617.jpg

The bar was simply breathtaking, one of the most beautiful we've ever seen:

20171004_090146.jpg

20171003_132154.jpg

The staircase was, not surprisingly, quite grand:

20171003_131819.jpg

20171003_131827.jpg

The mezzanine level, on which our suite was located:

20171003_131845.jpg

The view from the mezzanine to the lobby:

20171003_131904.jpg

20171005_074631.jpg

The cafe/dining room, where we had breakfasts and lunches:

20171005_075047.jpg

The Restaurant Opus, 1* Michelin dining:

20171004_090115.jpg

We had two rooms: ours was an Imperial Suite, and my mother's was an Elisabeth Suite (junior suite equivalent).

IMPERIAL SUITE

The long entry hallway, to the right side of which was a large closet and the only toilet in the suite:

20171003_114705.jpg

20171003_114724.jpg

20171003_114736.jpg

20171003_114747.jpg

It was odd to realize later that the master bath adjoining the bedroom did not have a toilet, and that this toilet was our one and only toilet! It also was odd that the closet here in the entry hallway was the one with the safe. While obviously odd, it didn't in any way detract from the quality of our stay. We chalked it up to the historical oddity of staying in such a grand and old hotel.

Then we walked into the suite living room. We were simply wowed by the enormity of the space, the sheer 20' height of the ceiling, and the incredible amount of natural light:

20171003_114804.jpg

20171003_114816.jpg

20171003_114820.jpg

20171003_114829.jpg

We thought the smallish TV in the corner of such a massive room was hilarious. But almost any TV in that space would have been superfluous. 

Large mirrored sliding doors opened to the beautiful and extremely spacious bedroom:

20171003_114853.jpg

20171003_114908.jpg

To the left side of the bed was the door into the (toilet-less) master bath:

20171003_114916.jpg

20171003_114927 (1).jpg

This was when we realized there was no toilet in the master bath. We laughed so hard, I cannot describe it. We discussed briefly whether we should inquire about the availability for another Imperial Suite but quickly decided to just enjoy the peculiarity.

As it were, the odd toilet location really wasn't an issue for us--as the distance to the actual toilet was not any further from the other side of the bed to the master bath, anyway. But I did once or twice go to the master bath when I wasn't thinking...

And waiting for us in the suite also was a truly wonderful welcome amenity:

20171003_135152.jpg

The air conditioning was excellent. Once or twice, being the freak I am, I did get concerned, so we asked for a fan to be safe. But I barely used the fan. For such an old hotel, the air con surprisingly worked wonders--especially considering the incredible room volume.

The views from our second story huge windows looked onto the city streets--nothing special for us, but it did offer tons of natural light. The room was completely blackout in the evening, too--shutters closed outside the windows, and the big curtains were drawn by housekeeping.

We loved the suite and all its hisorical pecularities. It truly had a remarkable sense of place. We absolutely knew we were in Vienna. After touring Schonbrunn Palace, we easily could see our suite decor and furnishings truly reflected that bygone era.

ELISABETH SUITE

My mother was surprisingly upgraded from an entry level award room to an Elisabeth Suite--even though there is no stated Platinum benefit for more than my own room. Before we even arrived, my mother had mentioned hoping for a view. So not a few minutes after she arrived in her upgraded Elisabeth Suite with a huge bath but no view, the front desk called to let her know another Elisabeth Suite was available in a short while that had smaller bath but a wonderful city view. My Mom immediately accepted and they moved her to the new Elisabeth Suite. Sorry--no photos of her original suite, or of her bathroom.

22228098_1976938585657465_77409050845050

22089394_1976938742324116_77388452202660

22141122_1976938492324141_32481794001747

22089344_1976938802324110_76153941140448

My mother also loved her suite. Even though the bath was small, she said she originally had the bigger bath but preferred the view. To each, their own!

Without question, this is one of the most beautiful and historic hotel properties at which we've stayed. While we prefer more modern style, we absolutely adored this hotel and its impeccable and timeless quality.

Service was absolutely and breathtakingly extraordinary. I'm not sure they missed a thing besides perhaps a curtain not entirely closed in our living room the first evening?

Everyone was so friendly, so warm and gracious, so eager to please, and so genuine to do so. I don't think anyone said no--ever.

After only our first night, I posted to FlyerTalk the following:

"Review forthcoming, but we've just had the  first of 3 nights at the Hotel Imperial. It's been absolutely spectacular. Truly one of the best service experiences we've enjoyed anywhere--including Aman, Peninsula, and StR hotels.

Food and beverage exquisite. Had great lunch at the Cafe and a wonderful dinner at 1* Opus. Also was given free tickets to last night's Beethoven concert in the bar. An exclusive affair with award winning pianist. They reserved us front row seats...and awaited our (slightly late) arrival before beginning the performance. Yikes. But what a concert.

Concierge efficiently and graciously moved our afternoon city tour to our final day since it was raining for our first day. No issues. Just taken care of.

Air con in suite--wonderful. Concerns--handled quickly and easily. Just a perfect stay so far. Didn't want to wear a long sleeve shirt to dinner at 1* Opus for fear of being too warm--not a problem."

The rest of our stay was true to that first day and night. Absolute perfection.

We were truly blown away by the Hotel Imperial in a way that very few hotels worlwide ever have. Truly, this is one of the world's greatest hotels.

PARK HYATT VIENNA

The Park Hyatt is a spectacularly beautiful and modern, new, fresh hotel. It has all the bells and whistles one could want from a new hotel--except, perhaps, any sense of place. While the hotel was beautiful, we couldn't much tell that we were in Vienna; its modernity lacked any sense of place for us.

The beautiful entrance lobby:

20171003_142616.jpg

The staircase trying to be grand:

20171003_142649.jpg

The main restaurant/dining/bar space:

20171003_141839.jpg

We weren't so sure about the big glitter light balls, but I'm sure they're wonderful around the holidays!

20171003_141918.jpg

The beautiful lounge/cafe where we had snacks and drinks:

20171003_142119.jpg

Downstairs, another dining area/cafe, seemingly de rigeur for Vienna's luxury hotels:

20171003_142256.jpg

ROOMS

I don't remember every category, so please bear with me. The rooms were spacious and wondefully designed:

20171003_152714.jpg

20171003_152723.jpg

20171003_152801.jpg

We toured the Ambassador Suite, which was tremendous:

20171003_153138.jpg

20171003_153207.jpg

20171003_153123.jpg

20171003_153043.jpg

20171003_153051.jpg

The TV was conveniently hidden behind the mirror, which opened to reveal the TV.

20171003_153104.jpg

20171003_153024.jpg

The Park Hyatt is a very beautiful, modern hotel with spacious rooms with all the amenities--but with absolutely no sense of place whatsoever. It could be anywhere. The rooms and suites were wonderful and modern.

The Park Hyatt had nice service, but even in the short time we visited, we were let down a number of times: the wait at the front desk with a few staff seemingly not doing anything,  the staff member who said he'd be ready in 30 min never came to find us in the cafe, the drink order came wrong in the cafe, the long wait for the correct drink, the doorman who never helped my mother out of our taxi, the doorman who never helped my mother into our taxi, the doorman and bellman who seemed completely disinterested in us or anyone else coming or going into or out of the hotel. The doorman issue and reception issue were in stark contrast to the Imperial, where only once was a doorman not even present and where we always were assisted at reception as quickly and warmly as possible. The doormen issue was particularly galling in contrast with the Imperial where at all times, the Imperial doormen couldn't be gracious enough or fast enough to offer assistance to my mother or even us as we got into or out of a taxi or for our airport transfers. 

You can't go wrong with the Park Hyatt, but you'd go better with the Imperial--especially in terms of service (and likely food/beverage). 

HOTEL SACHER

The Sacher was a mere 10 minute walk from the Hotel Imperial, and just around the corner from the Opera House from its SPG/Marriott cousin, the Hotel Bristol.

20171005_153737.jpg

20171005_161557.jpg

The lobby had concierge, but not reception, curiously. Reception was around the corner and off to the right in a very cramped space, surprisingly--making it almost impossible for me to take a photo. Sorry.

20171005_161152.jpg

20171005_161157.jpg

There was a beautifully clubby and intimate lounge room between the lobby and bar, but it was too crowded for me to politely take photos. Sorry again.

The famous and beautifully intimate Blaue Bar, where we enjoyed wonderful service and had the famous Sacher torte--which was, indeed, delicious:

20171005_154120.jpg

20171005_155056.jpg

The hotel was only able to show us one of their suites, which was surprisingly modern. The staff indicated that there was quite a range in style for the hotel rooms, from this suite's modern style to a much more traditional style more akin to what we had at the Imperial.

20171005_160905.jpg

20171005_160826.jpg

20171005_160836.jpg

20171005_160718.jpg

20171005_160709.jpg

View onto the Opera House:

20171005_160748.jpg

The Hotel Sacher is a beautiful but more traditonal and clubby feeling hotel with quirky spaces and rooms/suite with varying decor schemes, but still very Viennese. The suite we saw was beautifully and surprisingly modern but not as spacious as I would have expected. The Blaue Bar truly is adorable, though, and a bit less ostentatious than the Imperial bar. Service was to a high standard here. We loved the Sacher torte more than the Imperial torte. You definitely can't go wrong with the Sacher, but you'd be looking for something a bit less grand and perhaps a bit quirkie than the Imperial.

HOTEL BRISTOL AND DO & CO HOTEL

In case anyone were interested:

The Hotel Bristol is a lovely hotel, but its rooms, room decor and layouts, and overall ambience just aren't in the same league as any of the Imperial, PH, and Sacher. Not even close. Service was to a good standard, and the public areas were fresh and modern, but the rooms and suites looked like they were seriously dated and in desperate need for a refurbishment. This felt more like a business hotel or for the well traveled tourist who doesn't way to pay top billing or use too many points. A nice hotel, but not close to the Imperial, Sacher, or PH.

The DO & CO looked like a grandiose modern monstrosity in the core of Vienna--it really stood out as a bit garish. I love modern design hotels, but its exterior appearance did nothing to invite us in. Our guide shared that the owner never wants to pay enough to keep staff so service suffers and is seriously lacking. It looked it.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I've rarely been so happy as to have made a hotel choice as I was to choose the Hotel Imperial for our stay.

For those looking for modern appointments, the clear winner will be the Park Hyatt, but you definitely sacrifice any sense of place and of Viennese charm with your stay there. We would not choose to stay here given the better choices available.

For those looking to have a sense of place, there is no question that both the Imperial and Sacher will fit your bill. The Imperial is more opulent and impressive, while the Sacher is more traditional and clubby in its charm. Both are likely to serve one well.

While we normally prefer more modern, clean design, we absolutely were blown away by the incredible appointments, sense of history, and amazingly high level of service and food/beverage at the Imperial. We'd go back in a heartbeat with not a single reservation--not even with the odd toilet location!

Hotel Imperial vs Park Hyatt Vienna vs Hotel Sacher: a comparison and contrast

Would you like to write a review on the Imperial vs Park Hyatt vs Sacher Hotels?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy, FlyerEC and callmedtop like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.