Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of Vienna's luxury hotel options--feedback requested

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pros and cons of Vienna's luxury hotel options--feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:58 pm

You can see the Bristol there in you last photo above, just to the left of the front of the opera house with the Austrian flag flying above.

It's definitely a notch or two below the Imperial. Due to its location I thought the public spaces felt totally overrun.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tfjim
You can see the Bristol there in you last photo above, just to the left of the front of the opera house with the Austrian flag flying above.

It's definitely a notch or two below the Imperial. Due to its location I thought the public spaces felt totally overrun.
Indeed! I reviewed the Imperial vs the Bristol in the Starwood forum since I felt that was more appropriate--largely because I agree that the Bristol is a notch or two below the Imperial (or PH or Sacher). I thought the Bristol's public spaces were actually quite nice and looked recently renovated; it was in the rooms and suites where I found the Bristol to be lacking. Here's that review:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...in-vienna-2207
tfjim likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 20, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Wow, not much activity in this thread for a while. Hoping folks w/ some experience and knowledge see this and opine.

I have two award bookings in Vienna, and have been able to get upgrades on both of them. I'm trying to decide which hotel to keep and which to cancel. On the trip for five nights is me, my wife and my 11 year old daughter. I am top tier with both Hyatt and Marriott.

Hotel Imperial: Got upgraded to an Elisabeth Suite, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Butler Service. I've never stayed at this hotel before so know little about it. I believe I should expect the Titanium breakfast to be continental only (at the Hotel Bristol several years ago it was very strictly enforced).

Park Hyatt: Booked standard room, Ambassador confirmed use of suite upgrade though the room type is not known apparently. It looks like folks get upgraded to a Park View or Diplomat Suite (the larger of the two). I think that Hyatt's breakfast benefit is likely better than that of Marriott if I assume that the Imperial strictly enforces the continental portion.

I understand that the style of the two hotels is very different and we don't really prefer one over the other. Neither have club lounges, so that's not a factor. The Hyatt is a better location for many sites and assuming we prefer people traffic right outside the door over automobiles and trams as the Hyatt is right in the heart of the city center.

We do not plan to take any non-breakfast meals at the hotel.

I would appreciate any feedback on the hotels and the suites I mention above, even if you don't have head to head comparison knowledge of the two.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dingo
Wow, not much activity in this thread for a while. Hoping folks w/ some experience and knowledge see this and opine.

I have two award bookings in Vienna, and have been able to get upgrades on both of them. I'm trying to decide which hotel to keep and which to cancel. On the trip for five nights is me, my wife and my 11 year old daughter. I am top tier with both Hyatt and Marriott.

Hotel Imperial: Got upgraded to an Elisabeth Suite, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Butler Service. I've never stayed at this hotel before so know little about it. I believe I should expect the Titanium breakfast to be continental only (at the Hotel Bristol several years ago it was very strictly enforced).

Park Hyatt: Booked standard room, Ambassador confirmed use of suite upgrade though the room type is not known apparently. It looks like folks get upgraded to a Park View or Diplomat Suite (the larger of the two). I think that Hyatt's breakfast benefit is likely better than that of Marriott if I assume that the Imperial strictly enforces the continental portion.

I understand that the style of the two hotels is very different and we don't really prefer one over the other. Neither have club lounges, so that's not a factor. The Hyatt is a better location for many sites and assuming we prefer people traffic right outside the door over automobiles and trams as the Hyatt is right in the heart of the city center.

I would appreciate any feedback on the hotels and the suites I mention above, even if you don't have head to head comparison knowledge of the two.
Only stayed at Imperial so far and it's a decade ago. Will stay at Hyatt later this year.

Imperial has impressive public spaces while our suite was not acceptable. When I now look at bhrubins review I must say if they didn't renovate I can't imagine I would book the Imperial. Butler service was non-existing and I doubt it's a field Marriott is a great help.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Mar 5, 2022 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
What does not acceptable mean with respect to a suite?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I was at the Park Hyatt, the breakfast was quite good -- only all the food disappears (behind a curtain) promptly at closing time, so don't be late!
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:06 am
Community Director Emerita

I have stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Imperial. My strong preference is the Park Hyatt due to the location. I received excellent service at the Imperial and enjoyed dining on their deck. But I love historic Vienna and liked having short walks from the Park Hyatt to many of the various sites, restaurants and coffee shops that interested me. Vienna is one of my top European cities and it's great to have solid choices for hotels.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

PH Vienna treats Globalists very well. It's still one of the best PH properties in the world with an equally great full breakfast.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What does not acceptable mean with respect to a suite?
It was totally dated and had a wired design. You came in and you had a small toilet. So far, so normal. Only problem: It was the only toilet. Bathroom had no toilet or shower, only a tub. Therefore the suite had a wardrobe which smelled terrible.

I can only recommend the review by bhrubin and his pictures. Is this a luxurious suite? Not in my eyes. It was acceptable in the 80s and perhaps 90s, but not 2019 (when he stayed) or even today.[

So "not acceptable" means it's not something which satisfies me or I would be ready to pay/ waste my time for.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:46 am

Thank you. I don't know if I read something that you had posted previously or saw a video / review from someone else who had the same room. Did sound a bit odd.

I'm leaning toward the Park Hyatt, mostly for location. The room at the Imperial looks like it will be larger than anything the Hyatt will give us, and with three that is a consideration. However, this is my first trip as Hyatt top tier so I'd like to give it a try and the location is unbeatable.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Stayed at the PH Vienna in Jan, and returning later this month. Probably one of the best hotel stays I've had in a while, so actually quite surprised to see all the negative reviews from a few years back. The service was excellent across the board, the breakfast was of good quality (I'm gotten quite fond of the apple juice) and the building itself is stunning. The location is also great (although it depends on where you want to be in Wien).
offerendum and Jerkstore like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
One of my best stays was at the PH Vienna (February 2017). I can't comprehend staying anywhere else in that city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.